Brief Report: Adaptive Behavior and Cognitive Skills for Toddlers on the Autism Spectrum
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study examined adaptive behavior and cognitive skills for 125 toddlers on the autism spectrum using the recently updated Vineland-II and Bayley-III. Delays in adaptive skills were apparent at 2 years of age. As a group, toddlers on the autism spectrum had a profile of Vineland-II standard scores in which Motor Skills > Daily Living Skills > Socialization > Communication. Vineland-II scores were significantly correlated with Bayley-III Cognitive scores. Performance on the ADOS was significantly negatively correlated with Bayley-III Cognitive standard scores and standard scores in the Daily Living Skills and Communication domains of the Vineland-II. However, calibrated ADOS scores did not contribute significant variance to Vineland-II scores beyond that predicted by age and Bayley-III scores.
- Bayley, N. (2006). Bayley scales of infant and toddler development (3rd ed.). San Antonio, TX: PsychCorp.
- Bishop, L. S., Luyster, R., Richler, J., & Lord, C. (2008). Diagnostic assessment. In K. Chawarska, A. Klin, & F. R. Volkmar (Eds.), Autism spectrum disorders in infants and toddlers (pp. 50–75). New York: Guilford Press.
- Brassard, M. R., & Boehm, A. E. (2007). Preschool assessment: Principles and practices. New York: Guilford Press.
- Carter, S. A., Volkmar, R. F., Sparrow, S. S., Wang, J.-J., Lord, C., Dawson, G., et al. (1998). The Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales: Supplementary norms for individuals with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 28, 287–302. CrossRef
- Chawarska, K., Klin, A., Paul, R., & Volkmar, F. (2007). Autism spectrum disorder in the second year: Stability and change in syndrome expression. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 48, 128–138. CrossRef
- Cicchetti, D. V., Koenig, K., Klin, A., Volkmar, F. R., Paul, R., & Sparrow, S. (2010). From Bayes through marginal utility to effect sizes: a guide to understanding the clinical and statistical significance of the results of autism research findings. Journal of Autsim and Developmental Disorders. doi:10.1007/s10803-010-1035-6.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Fenton, G., D’Ardia, C., Valente, D., Vecchio, D. I., Farbrizi, A., & Bernabei, P. (2003). Vineland adaptive behavior profiles in children with autism and moderate to severe developmental delay. Autism, 7, 269–287. CrossRef
- Gotham, K., Pickles, A., & Lord, C. (2009). Standardizing ADOS scores for a measure of severity in autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 39, 693–705. CrossRef
- Klin, A., Lang, J., Cicchetti, D. V., & Volkmar, F. R. (2000). Brief report: Interrater reliability of clinical diagnosis and DSM-IV criteria for autistic disorder: Results of the DSM-IV autism field trial. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 30(2), 163–167. CrossRef
- Lord, C., Risi, S., DiLavore, P. S., Shulman, C., Thurm, A., & Pickles, A. (2006). Autism from 2 to 9 years of age. Archives of General Psychiatry, 63, 694–701. CrossRef
- Lord, C., Rutter, M., DiLavore, P. C., & Risi, S. (2002). Autism diagnostic observation schedule manual. Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services.
- Loveland, A. K., & Kelley, L. M. (1991). Development of adaptive behavior in preschoolers with autism or down syndrome. American Journal on Mental Retardation, 96, 13–20.
- Luyster, R., Gotham, K., Guthrie, W., Coffing, M., Petrak, R., Pierce, K., et al. (2009). The autism diagnostic observation schedule-toddler module: A new module of standardized diagnostic measure for ASD. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 39, 1305–1320. CrossRef
- Moore, V., & Goodson, S. (2003). How well does early diagnosis of autism stand the test of time? Autism, 7, 47–63.
- Perry, A., Flanagan, H. E., Geier, J. D., & Freeman, N. L. (2009). Brief report: The Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales in young children with autism spectrum disorders at different cognitive levels. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 39, 1066–1078. CrossRef
- Rutter, M., Le Couteur, A., & Lord, C. (2003). Autism diagnostic interview-revised-WPS. In: WPS (Ed.) Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services.
- Schopler, E., Reichler, R. J., & Renner, B. R. (1988). The childhood autism rating scale (CARS). Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services.
- Sparrow, S. S., Balla, D. A., & Cicchetti, D. V. (1984). Vineland adaptive behavior scales. Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service.
- Sparrow, S. S., Cicchetti, V. D., & Balla, A. D. (2005). Vineland adaptive behavior scales (2nd ed.). Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service.
- Stone, W. L., Lee, E. B., Ashford, L., Brissie, J., Hepburn, S. L., Coonrod, E. E., et al. (1999). Can autism be diagnosed accurately in children under 3 years? Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 40, 219–226. CrossRef
- Brief Report: Adaptive Behavior and Cognitive Skills for Toddlers on the Autism Spectrum
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 41, Issue 5 , pp 679-684
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Adaptive behavior
- Cognitive skills
- Industry Sectors