Brief Report: Telephone Administration of the Autism Diagnostic Interview—Revised: Reliability and Suitability for Use in Research
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Autism Diagnostic Interview—Revised is one of the “gold standard” diagnostic tools for autism spectrum disorders. It is traditionally administered face-to-face. Cost and geographical concerns constrain the employment of the ADI-R for large-scale research projects. The telephone interview is a reasonable alternative, but has not yet been examined for reliability with face-to-face administration. In this study, participants were interviewed both face-to-face and on the telephone using the complete ADI-R interview. Results indicate that there was no significant difference between the algorithm scores or the diagnoses arrived at for face-to-face and telephone administrations. Reliability statistics across the two modalities were very good and indicate that telephone interviews using the ADI-R are a viable option for researchers.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Barriball, K. L., Christian, S. L., While, A. E., et al. (1996). The telephone survey method: A discussion paper. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 24(1), 115–121. CrossRef
- Bauman, L. J. (1993). Collecting data by telephone interviewing. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 14(4), 256–257.
- Burnard, P. (1994). The telephone interview as a data collection method. Nurse Education Today, 14, 67–72. CrossRef
- Carr, E. C. J., & Worth, A. (2001). The use of the telephone interview for research. NT Research, 6(1), 511–524.
- Corey, C. R., & Freeman, H. E. (1990). Use of telephone interviewing in health care research. HSR: Health Services Research, 25(1), 129–144.
- Lavrakas, P. J. (1987). Telephone survey methods: Sampling, selection and supervision. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Law, M. (1997). A telephone survey of day surgery eye patients. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 25(2), 355–363. CrossRef
- Le Couteur, A., Lord, C., & Rutter, M. (2009). Autism diagnostic interview—revised (ADI-R). University of Michigan Autism and Communication Disorders Centre. Retrieved from: http://www.umaccweb.com/diagnostic_ tools/adiinfo.html Retrieved Oct 18, 2009.
- Le Couteur, A., Rutter, M., Lord, C., & Rios, P. (1989). Autism diagnostic interview: A standardized investigator-based instrument. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 19(3), 363–387. CrossRef
- Lord, C., Rutter, M., & Le Couteur, A. (1994). Autism diagnostic interview—revised: A revised version of a diagnostic interview for caregivers of individuals with possible pervasive developmental disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 24(5), 659–685. CrossRef
- Mahoney, W. J., Szatmari, P., MacLean, J. E., Bryson, S. E., Bartolucci, G., Walter, S. D., et al. (1998). Reliability and accuracy of differentiating pervasive developmental disorder subtypes. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 37(3), 278–285. CrossRef
- Marcus, A. C., & Crane, L. A. (1986). Telephone surveys in public health research. Medical Care, 24(2), 97–112. CrossRef
- Musselwhite, K., Cuff, L., McGregor, L., & King, K. M. (2007). The telephone interview is an effective method of data collection in clinical nursing research: A discussion paper. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 44(6), 1064–1070. CrossRef
- Oppenheim, A. N. (1992). Questionnaire design and attitude measurement. New York: Basic Books.
- Polit, D. F., & Hungler, B. P. (1991). Nursing research: Principles and methods (4th ed.). Philidephia: Lippincott.
- Robson, C. (1993). Real world research. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Rutter, M., Le Couteur, A., & Lord, C. (2003). ADI-R: The autism diagnostic interview—revised. Los Angeles, CA: Western Psychological Services.
- Siemiatycki, J. (1979). A comparison of mail, telephone, and home interview strategies for household health surveys. American Journal of Public Health, 69(3), 238–245. CrossRef
- Tausig, J. E., & Freeman, E. W. (1988). The next best thing to being there: Conducting the clinical research interview by telephone. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 58(3), 418–427. CrossRef
- Vrancic, D., Nanclares, V., Soares, D., Kulesz, A., Mordzinski, C., Plebst, C., et al. (2002). Sensitivity and specificity of the autism diagnostic inventory-telephone screening in Spanish. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 32(4), 313–320. CrossRef
- Waterman, H., Leatherbarrow, B., & Slater, R. (1999). Postoperative pain, nausea and vomiting: Qualitative perspectives from telephone interviews. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 29(3), 690–696. CrossRef
- Wilson, K., Roe, B., & Wright, L. (1998). Telephone or face-to-face interviews? A decision made on the basis of a pilot study. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 35, 314–321. CrossRef
- World Health Organization. (1993). The ICD-10 classification of mental and behavioural disorders: Diagnostic criteria for research. Geneva: WHO.
- Worth, A., & Tierney, A. J. (1993). Conducting research interviews with elderly people by telephone. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 18, 1077–1084. CrossRef
- Brief Report: Telephone Administration of the Autism Diagnostic Interview—Revised: Reliability and Suitability for Use in Research
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 40, Issue 10 , pp 1285-1290
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Autism diagnostic interview—revised
- Telephone interview
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychiatry, Queen’s University, Kingston, ON, K7M 8A6, Canada
- 5. Autism Spectrum Disorders, Canadian-American Research Consortium (ASD-CARC) www.AutismResearch.ca
- 4. Department of Psychology, NYS Institute for Basic Research in Developmental Disabilities, Staten Island, NY, 10314, USA
- 2. Department of Physiology, Queen’s University, Kingston, ON, K7M 8A6, Canada
- 3. Genetics and Genomics Research Laboratory, Ongwanada, Kingston, ON, K7M 8A6, Canada