Asperger (1906–1980) and Kanner (1894–1981), the two pioneers of autism
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
More than 60 years ago, two very similar descriptions of children displaying severe social deficits and unusual behaviours were published, one in English, one in German, both using the term ‘autistic’. Leo Kanner (1943) in Baltimore, USA, described 11 children with ‘early infantile autism’ in his seminal paper ‘Autistic disturbances of affective contact’. In the same year, October 1943, Hans Asperger, in Vienna, Austria, submitted his thesis on ‘Autistic psychopathy in childhood’, which was published in 1944, describing four children with ‘autistic psychopathy’. Both authors used the term ‘autistic’ which was coined by Bleuler, a Swiss psychiatrist, who used this label to describe the characteristics of individuals with schizophrenia. However, only Asperger acknowledged the fact that he had adopted Bleuler’s terminology in his doctoral thesis, whereas no references to Bleuler are evident in Kanner’s paper as highlighted by Schirmer (2002).
Leo Kanner has always been seen as the pioneer
- Asperger, H. (1938). Das psychisch abnormale Kind. Wiener Klinische Wochenschrift, 51, 1314–1317.
- Asperger, H. (1944). Die “Autistischen Psychopathen” im Kindesalter. Archiv für Psychiatrie und Nervenkrankheiten, 117, 76–136. CrossRef
- Asperger, H. (1974). Frühkindlicher Autismus. Medizinische Klinik, 69(49), 2024–2027.
- Asperger-Felder, M. (2000). Foreword (xi–xiii). In A. Klin, F. R. Volkmar, & S. S. Sparrow (Eds.), Asperger Syndrome. New York: The Guilford Press.
- Colin. (2006). Hans Asperger – selbst ein “Asperger”? Aspies e.V. monthly newsletter. Retrieved July 4, 2006, from http://www.aspies.de/asperger/aspiewelt/hans-asperger.html
- Frith, U. (Eds.) (1991). Autism and Asperger syndrome. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Kanner, L. (1943). Autistic disturbances of affective contact. Nervous Child, 2, 217–253.
- Schirmer, B. (2002). Autismus und NS-Rassengesetze in Österreich 1938: Hans Aspergers Verteidigung der “autistischen Psychopathen” gegen die NS-Eugenik. Retrieved August 17, 2006, from http://www.beltz.de/neuesonderschule/s_02_04.htm.
- Wing, L. (1981). Asperger’s syndrome: A clinical account. Psychological Medicine, 11(1), 115–129. CrossRef
- Asperger (1906–1980) and Kanner (1894–1981), the two pioneers of autism
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 37, Issue 10 , pp 2022-2023
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors