Did Hans Asperger (1906–1980) have Asperger Syndrome?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Who was the man who so eloquently described children with ‘autistic psychopathy’ and who developed treatment and interventions that are still relevant today for those diagnosed with Asperger syndrome?
According to biographical data (Colin, 2006) Hans Asperger was born 100 years ago into a farming family outside Vienna, Austria, the elder of two sons. It has been reported that already from an early age on he showed a specific talent for language and in his first years in school became known for his special interest of quoting Franz Grillparzer, the Austrian national poet, a characteristic he maintained throughout his life. It also appears that he did not make friends easily and that he was considered as being ‘remote’ but in later years he made friends particularly during the time he spent in the youth movement in the 1920s. Although he gave the impression of being clumsy, he liked walking in the Austrian woods and mountains. Asperger studied medicine in Vienna and started wo ...
- Colin (2006). Hans Asperger – selbst ein “Asperger”? Aspies e.V. monthly newsletter. Retrieved July 4, 2006, from http://www.aspies.de/asperger/aspiewelt/hans-asperger.html
- Fitzgerald, M. (2004). Autism and creativity. Is there a link between autism in men and exceptional ability? New York: Brunner-Routledge.
- Frith, U. (1990). Asperger and his syndrome. In U. Frith (Ed.), Autism and Asperger Syndrome (pp. 1–36). Cambridge: University Press.
- Gillberg, C. (1990). Asperger—en “unåbar” person. Läkartidningen. (Journal of the Swedish Medical Association) Stockholm, September 19, 1990, 87(39): 2971–297.
- Peeters, G., Grobben, G., Hendrickx, A., Van den Eede, S., & Verlinden, K. (2003). Self-other and third person categorization in normal and autistic children. Developmental Science, 6, 166–172. CrossRef
- Vocke, E. (2006). Franz Grillparzer. Retrieved August 15, 2006, from http://www.lehrer.uni-karlsruhe.de/~za874/homepage/Grillparzer.htm
- Did Hans Asperger (1906–1980) have Asperger Syndrome?
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 37, Issue 10 , pp 2020-2021
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors