Change in Autism Symptoms and Maladaptive Behaviors in Adolescents and Adults with an Autism Spectrum Disorder
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study examined change prospectively in autism symptoms and maladaptive behaviors during a 4.5 year period in 241 adolescents and adults with an autism spectrum disorder who were 10–52 years old (mean = 22.0) when the study began. Although many individuals’ symptoms remained stable, a greater proportion of the sample experienced declines than increases in their level of autism symptoms and maladaptive behaviors, and there were significant improvements in mean levels of symptoms. Individuals with mental retardation had more autism symptoms and maladaptive behaviors than those without mental retardation, and they improved less over time. Compared to adolescents, older sample members (31 and older) had fewer maladaptive behaviors and experienced more improvement in these behaviors over time.
- Agresti, A. (1996). An introduction to categorical data analysis. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Aman, M. G., Lam, K. S. L., & Collier-Crespin, A. (2003). Prevalence and patterns of use of psychoactive medicines among individuals with autism in the Autism Society of Ohio. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 33(5), 527–534. CrossRef
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, fourth edition, text revision (4th-TR edn.). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- Bruininks, R. H., Woodcock, R. W., Weatherman, R. F., & Hill, B. K. (1996). Scales of Independent Behavior—Revised: Riverside Publishing.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd edn.). New York: Academic Press.
- Cohen, P., Cohen, J., West, S. G., & Aiken, L. S. (2002). Applied multiple regression/correlation analysis for the behavioral sciences (3rd edn.). Lawrence: Erlbaum Associates.
- Dawson, B., & Trapp, R. G. (2004). Basic and clinical biostatistics. New York: Lange Medical Books, McGraw-Hill.
- Fecteau, S., Mottron, L., Berthiaume, C., & Burack, J. A. (2003). Developmental changes of autistic symptoms. Autism, 7(3), 255–268. CrossRef
- Filipek, P. A., Accardo, P. J., Baranek, G. T., Cook Jr., E. H., Dawson, G., Gordon, B., et al. (1999). The screening and diagnosis of autistic spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 29(6), 439–484.
- Finkel, S. (1995). Causal analysis with panel data (Vol. 105). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Glutting, J., Adams, W., & Sheslow, D. (2000). Wide range intelligence test. Wilmington, DE: Wide Range, Inc.
- Hill, A., Bolte, S., Petrova, G., Beltcheva, D., Tacheva, S., & Poustka, F. (2001). Stability and interpersonal agreement of the interview-based diagnosis of autism. Psychopathology, 34(4), 187–191. CrossRef
- Hollander, E., Phillips, A. T., & Yeh, C. C. (2003). Targeted treatments for symptom domains in child and adolescent autism. Lancet, 362, 732–734. CrossRef
- Howlin, P., Goode, S., Hutton, J., & Rutter, M. (2004). Adult outcome for children with autism. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 45(2), 212–229. CrossRef
- Howlin, P., Mawhood, L., & Rutter, M. (2000). Autism and developmental receptive language disorder—a follow-up comparison in early adult life II: Social, behavioural, and psychiatric outcomes. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, and Allied Disciplines, 41(5), 561–578.
- Kline, R. B. (2004). Beyond significance testing: Reforming data analysis methods in behavioral research. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Lecavalier, L. (2005). Behavioral and emotional problems in young people with pervasive developmental disorders: Relative prevalence, effects of subject characteristics, and empirical classification. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders (in press).
- Lecavalier, L., Aman, M., McDougle, C. J., McCracken, J., Vitiello, B., Tierney, E., et al. (2006). Validity of the autism diagnostic interview—revised. American Journal on Mental Retardation, 111(3), 199–215. CrossRef
- Lord, C., & Bailey, A. (2002). Autism spectrum disorders. In M. Rutter, & E. Taylor (Eds.), Child and adolescent psychiatry (pp. 664–681). Oxford: Blackwell Scientific.
- Lord, C., Pickles, A., McLennan, M., Rutter, M., Bregman, J., Folstein, S., et al. (1997). Diagnosing autism: Analyses of data from the Autism Diagnostic Interview. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 27(5), 501–517. CrossRef
- Lord, C., Rutter, M., & Le Couteur, A. (1994). Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised: A revised version of a diagnostic interview for caregivers of individuals with possible pervasive developmental disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 24(5), 659–685. CrossRef
- Mawhood, L., Howlin, P., & Rutter, M. (2000). Autism and developmental receptive language disorder—a comparative follow-up in early adult life. I: Cognitive and language outcomes. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, and Allied Disciplines, 41(5), 547–559.
- McClintock, K., Hall, S., & Oliver, C. (2003). Risk markers associated with challenging behaviours in people with intellectual disabilities: A meta-analytic study. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 47, 405–416. CrossRef
- McGovern, C. W., & Sigman, M. (2005). Continuity and change from early childhood to adolescence in autism. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 46(4), 401–408. CrossRef
- Mesibov, G. B., Schopler, E., Schaffer, B., & Michal, N. (1989). Use of the Childhood Autism Rating scale with autistic adolescents and adults. Journal of the Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 28(4), 538–541. CrossRef
- Nordin, V., & Gillberg, C. (1998). The long-term course of autistic disorders: Update on follow-up studies. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 97, 99–108.
- Norman, G. R., Sloan, J. A., & Wyrwich, K. W. (2003). Interpretation of changes in health-related quality of life: The remarkable universality of half a standard deviation. Medical Care, 41(5), 582–592. CrossRef
- Piven, J., Harper, J., Palmer, P., & Arndt, S. (1996). Course of behavioral change in autism: A retrospective study of high-IQ adolescents and adults. Journal of the Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 35(4), 523–529. CrossRef
- Seltzer, M. M., Krauss, M. W., Shattuck, P. T., Orsmond, G., Swe, A., & Lord, C. (2003). The symptoms of autism spectrum disorders in adolescence and adulthood. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 33(6), 565–581. CrossRef
- Seltzer, M. M., Shattuck, P., Abbeduto, L., & Greenberg, J. S. (2004). Trajectory of development in adolescents and adults with autism. Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews, 10, 234–247. CrossRef
- Shea, S., Turgay, A., Carroll, A., Schulz, M., Orlik, H., Smith, I., et al. (2004). Risperidone in the treatment of disruptive behavioral symptoms in children with autistic and other pervasive developmental disorders. Pediatrics, 114(5), 634–641. CrossRef
- Shea, V., & Mesibov, G. (2005). Adolescents and adults with autism. In F. R. Volkmar, R. Paul, A. Klin, & D. J. Cohen (Eds.), Handbook of autism and pervasive developmental disorders. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Sparrow, S. S., Carter, A. S., & Cicchetti, D. V. (1993). Vineland screener: Overview, reliability, validity, administration, and scoring. New Haven, CT: Yale University Child Study Center.
- Szatmari, P. (2000). The classification of autism, Asperger’s syndrome, and pervasive developmental disorder. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 45, 731–738.
- Taris, T. W. (2000). A primer in longitudinal data analysis. London: Sage.
- Tonge, B. J., & Einfeld, S. (2003). Psychopathology and intellectual disability: The Australian child to adult longitudinal study. International Review of Research in Mental Retardation, 26, 61–91. CrossRef
- Volkmar, F. R., & Klin, A. (2005). Issues in the classification of autism, related conditions. In F. R. Vokmar, R. Paul, A. Klin, & D. J. Cohen (Eds.), Handbook of autism and pervasive developmental disorders (pp. 5–41). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons.
- Change in Autism Symptoms and Maladaptive Behaviors in Adolescents and Adults with an Autism Spectrum Disorder
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 37, Issue 9 , pp 1735-1747
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Autism symptoms
- Maladaptive behaviors
- Lifespan development
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Wisconsin, 533 Waisman Ctr., 1500 Highland Ave, Madison, WI, 53705, USA
- 2. Boston University, Boston, MA, USA
- 3. University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
- 4. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA