Autism in the Faroe Islands. An Epidemiological Study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Faroe Islands are considered to be a genetic isolate. This population study of the prevalence of autism sought to identify a representative cohort for future genetic studies. In 2002 all schools were screened for autism spectrum disorders. The target population were all children born in 1985 through 1994 and living in the Faroe Islands on December 31, 2002. Children who screened positive for autism characteristics were examined using the Diagnostic Interview for Social and Communication Disorders (DISCO). Of the children aged 8 through 17 years, 0.56% had childhood autism, Asperger syndrome or atypical autism. The male:female ratio was just under 6:1. The prevalence of autism in the Faroe Islands was very similar to that reported from many western countries.
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. APA, Washington, DC
- Arvidsson, T., Danielsson, B., Forsberg, P., Gillberg, C., Johansson, M., Källgren, G. (1997) Autism in 3–6-year-old children in a suburb of Göteborg, Sweden. Autism 1: pp. 163-173
- Billstedt, E., Gillberg, I. C., & Gillberg, C. (2005). Autism after adolescence: population-based 13–22 year follow-up study of 120 individuals with autism diagnosed in childhood. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 35, 351–360.
- Ehlers, S., Gillberg, C. (1993) The epidemiology of Asperger syndrome. A total population study. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 34: pp. 1327-1350 CrossRef
- Fombonne, E. (2003) Epidemiological surveys of autism and other pervasive developmental disorders: An update. Journal Autism and Developmental Disorders 33: pp. 365-382 CrossRef
- Geiger, D. A., Geiger, M. R. (2004) A comparative evaluation of the effects of MMR immunization and mercury doses from thimerosal––containing childhood vaccines on the population prevalence of autism. Medical Science Monitor 10: pp. 133-139
- Gillberg, C., Wing, L. (1999) Autism: Not an extremely rare disorder. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 99: pp. 399-406
- Gillberg, C., Coleman, M. (2000) The biology of the autistic syndromes. Cambridge University Press, London
- Gillberg, C., Cederlund, M., Lamberg, K., & Zeiljon, L. (2006). Brief report: “the autism epidemic”. The registered prevalence of autism in a Swedish urban area. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 36, 429–435.
- Jamain, S., Quach, H., Betancur, C., Rastam, M., Colineaux, C., Gillberg, I. C., Soderstrom, H., Giros, B., Leboyer, M., Gillberg, C., Bourgeron, T. (2003) Mutations of the X-linked genes encoding neuroligins NLGN3 and NLGN4 are associated with autism. Nature Genetics 34: pp. 27-29 CrossRef
- Kopp, S., & Gillberg, C. (2005). One hundred girls with social and attention deficits (submitted).
- Leekam, S., Libby, S., Wing, L., Gould, J., Gillberg, C. (2000) Comparison of ICD-10 and Gillberg’s criteria for Asperger syndrome. Autism 4: pp. 11-28 CrossRef
- Lord, C., Rutter, M., Le Couteur, A. (1994) Autism diagnostic interview––revised: A revised version of a diagnostic interview for caregivers of individuals with possible pervasive developmental disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 24: pp. 659-685 CrossRef
- Madsen, K. M., Lauritsen, M. B., Pedersen, C. B., Thorsen, P., Plesner, A. M., Andersen, P. H., Mortensen, P. B. (2003) Thimerosal and the occurrence of autism: negative ecological evidence from Danish population-based data. Pediatrics 112: pp. 604-606 CrossRef
- Miller, J. N., Ozonoff, S. (1997) Did Asperger´s cases have Asperger´s disorder? A research note. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 38: pp. 247-251
- Rice, D. C. (2000) Identification of functional domains affected by developmental exposure to methylmercury: Faroe Islands and related studies. Neurotoxicology 21: pp. 1039-1044
- Rutter, M. (2000) Genetic studies of autism: from the 1970s into the millennium. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology 28: pp. 3-14 CrossRef
- Wechsler, D. (1981) Wechsler adult intelligence scale-revised. Psychological Corporation, San Antonio. TX
- Weihe, P., Debes, F., White, R. F., Sorensen, N., Budtz-Jorgensen, E., Keiding, N., Grandjean, P. (2003) Environmental epidemiology research leads to a decrease of the exposure limit for mercury. Ugeskrift for Laeger 6: pp. 107-111
- WHO, (1993). The ICD-10 classification of mental and behavioural disorders. WHO: Diagnostic Criteria for Research Geneva.
- Wing, L., Leekam, S. R., Libby, S. J., Gould, J., Larcombe, M. (2002) The diagnostic interview for social and communication disorders: Background, inter-rater reliability and clinical use. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 43: pp. 307-325 CrossRef
- Yeargin-Allsopp, M., Rice, C., Karapurkar, T., Doernberg, N., Boyle, C., Muphy, C. (2003) Prevalence of autism in a US metropolitan area. The Journal of the American Medical Association 1: pp. 49-55 CrossRef
- Autism in the Faroe Islands. An Epidemiological Study
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 37, Issue 3 , pp 437-444
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- autism spectrum disorder
- population study
- Faroe Islands
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departments of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Göteborg University, Avdelningen för barn- och ungdomspsykiatri, Kungsgatan 12, 411 69, Göteborg, Sweden
- 2. St George´s Hospital Medical School, University of London, London, UK