Brief Report: Use of DQ for Estimating Cognitive Ability in Young Children with Autism
- Lara M. Delmolino
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The utility of Developmental Quotients (DQ) from the Psychoeducational Profile—Revised (PEP-R) to estimate cognitive ability in young children with autism was assessed. DQ scores were compared to scores from the Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scales—Fourth Edition (SB-FE) for 27 preschool students with autism. Overall and domain DQ’s on the PEP-R were significantly correlated with SB-FE composite IQ and Verbal Reasoning scores. Additional analyses with rank scores from each instrument confirmed these results. Results indicate that DQ scores obtained by the PEP-R are reasonable estimates of cognitive ability in this sample as measured by the SB-FE. Some administration advantages suggest that the PEP-R may be a viable alternative to the SB-FE (for estimating cognitive skills) under some conditions.
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, fourth edition (text revision). Washington, DC: Author.
- Bayley, N. (1969). Bayley scales of infant development: Birth to two years. San Antonio, TX: The Psychological Corporation.
- Doll, E. A. (1965). Vineland social maturity scale. Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service.
- Dunn, L. M. (1965). Peabody picture vocabulary test. Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service.
- Harris, S. L., & Handleman, J. S. (2000). Age and IQ at intake as predictors of placement for young children with autism: A four- to six-year follow-up. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 30(2), 137-142. CrossRef
- Harris, S. L., Handleman, J. S., & Burton, J. L. (1990). Stanford Binet profiles of young children with autism. Special Services in the Schools, 6, 135-143. CrossRef
- Harris, S., Handleman, J. S., Gordon, R., Kristoff, B., & Fuentes, F. (1991). Changes in cognitive and language functioning of preschool children with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 21(3), 281–290. CrossRef
- Klin, A., Carter, A., & Sparrow, S. (1997). Psychological assessment. In D. Cohen, & F. Volkmar (Eds.), Handbook of autism and pervasive developmental disorders (pp. 418–427). New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons.
- Koegel, L. K., Koegel, R. L., & Smith, R. L. (1997). Variables related to differences in standardized test outcomes for children with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 27(3), 233–241. CrossRef
- Kurita, H., Osada, H., Shimizu, K., & Tachimori, H. (2003). Validity of DQ as an estimate of IQ in children with autistic disorder. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 57, 231–233. CrossRef
- Leiter, R. G (1948). The Leiter international performance scale. WoodDale, IL: Stoelting Co.
- Lord, C., Rutter, M., & LeCouteur, A. (1994). Autism diagnostic interview-revised: A revised version of a diagnostic interview for caregivers of individuals with possible pervasive developmental disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 24(5), 659–685. CrossRef
- Lord, C., Rutter, M., DiLavore, P. D., & Risi, S. (2001). Autism diagnostic observation schedule. Los Angeles, CA: Western Psychological Services.
- Lovaas, O. I. (1987). Behavioral treatment and normal educational and intellectual functioning in young autistic children. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 55, 3–9. CrossRef
- Magiati, I., & Howlin, P. (2001). Monitoring the progress of preschool children with autism enrolled in early intervention programmes: Problems in cognitive assessment. Autism, 5(4), 399–406. CrossRef
- National Research Council. (2001). Educating children with autism. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Ozonoff, S., & Cathcart, K. (1998). Effectiveness of a home program, intervention for young children with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 27(3), 25–32. CrossRef
- Panerai, S., Ferrante, L., & Caputo, V. (1997). The TEACCH strategy in mentally retarded children with autism: A multidimensional assessment: Pilot study. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 21(3), 281–290.
- Runyon, R. P., & Haber, A. (1991). Fundamentals of behavioral statistics. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, Inc.
- Schopler, E., Reichler, R. J., Bashford, A., Lansing, M. D., & Marcus, L. (1990). Psychoeducational profile revised, volume 1 (PEP-R). Austin, TX: Pro-Ed.
- Stutsman, R. (1948). Merrill-Palmer scale of mental tests. Los Angeles, CA: Western Psychological Services.
- Thorndike, R. L., Hagen, E. P., & Sattler, J. M. (1986). Stanford-Binet intelligence scale. Itasca, IL: Riverside Publishing.
- Wechsler, D. (1967). Wechsler preschool and primary scale of intelligence—revised. San Antonio, TX: The Psychological Corporation.
- Wechsler, D. (1974). Wechsler intelligence scale for children—revised. San Antonio, TX: The Psychological Corporation.
- Brief Report: Use of DQ for Estimating Cognitive Ability in Young Children with Autism
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 36, Issue 7 , pp 959-963
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Research and Training, Douglass Developmental Disabilities Center, Rutgers University, 25 Gibbons Circle, New Brunswick, NJ, 08901-8529, USA