Agreement Among Four Diagnostic Instruments for Autism Spectrum Disorders in Toddlers
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Autistic spectrum disorders (ASD) can be difficult to diagnose in toddlers. This study compared diagnostic measures (ADOS-G, ADI-R, CARS, and clinical judgment using DSM-IV criteria) applied to toddlers. Results indicated that the ADOS-G, CARS, and clinical judgment agreed with each other but not with the ADI-R. Many of the children classified with ASD by the other measures were not classified with autism by the ADI-R because they did not display enough repetitive behaviors and stereotyped interests. These results indicate that young children with ASD may not display repetitive behaviors and stereotyped interests, and for toddlers, the ADI-R would have a higher sensitivity if revised to include a diagnosis of PDD-NOS, for which the requirement of repetitive behaviors is less stringent.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistics manual of mental disorders (4th ed., DSM-IV). Washington, DC: Author.
- Baird, G., Charman, T., Baron Cohen, S., Cox, A., Swettenham, J., Wheelwright, S. (2000) A screening instrument for autism at 18 months of age: A 6-year follow-up study. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 39: pp. 694-702 CrossRef
- Bondy, A. S., Frost, L. A. Educational approaches in preschool: Behavior techniques in a public school setting. In: Schopler, E., Mesibov, G. B. eds. (1995) Learning and Cognition in Autism. Plenum Press, New York, pp. 311-338
- Charman, T., Taylor, E., Drew, A., Cockerill, H., Brown, J., Baird, G. (2005) Outcome at 7 years of children diagnosed with autism at age 2: Predictive validity of assessments conducted at 2 and 3 years of age and pattern of symptom change over time. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 46: pp. 500-513 CrossRef
- Cox, A., Klein, K., Charman, T., Baird, G., Baron Cohen, S., Swettenham, J. (1999) Autism spectrum disorders at 20 and 42 months of age: Stability of clinical and ADI-R diagnosis. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines 40: pp. 719-732 CrossRef
- Dahlgren, S. O., Gillberg, C. (1989) Symptoms in the first two years of life: A preliminary population study of infantile autism. European Archives of Psychiatry and Neurological Sciences 238: pp. 169-174 CrossRef
- Gillberg, C., Ehlers, S., Schaumann, H., Jakobsson, G. (1990) Autism under age 3 years: A clinical study of 28 cases referred for autistic symptoms in infancy. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines 31: pp. 921-934 CrossRef
- Klin, A., Lang, J., Cicchetti, D. V., Volkmar, F. R. (2000) Brief report: Interrater reliability of clinical diagnosis and DSM-IV criteria for autistic disorder: Results of the DSM-IV field trial. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 30: pp. 163-167 CrossRef
- Koegel, L. K. Communication and language intervention. In: Koegel, R. L. eds. (1995) Teaching children with Autism: Strategies for initiating positive interactions and improving learning opportunities. Paul H. Brookes Publishing Co, Baltimore, MD, pp. 17-32
- Lord, C. (1995) Follow-up of two-year-olds referred for possible autism. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines 36: pp. 1365-1382 CrossRef
- Lord, C. (2000) Commentary: Achievements and future directions for intervention research in communication and autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 30: pp. 393-398 CrossRef
- Lord, C., & Risi, S. (2000). Diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders in young children. In A. M. Wetherby (Ed.), Autism spectrum disorders: A transactional developmental perspective. Communication and language intervention series (Vol. 9, pp. 11–30). Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes Publishing Co.
- Lord, C., Risi, S., Lambrecht, L., Cook, E. H., Jr., Leventhal, B. L., & DiLavore P. C., et al. (2000). The Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule – Generic: A standard measure of social and communication deficits associated with the spectrum of autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 30(3), 205–223.
- Lord, C., Rutter, M., DiLavore, P., Risi, S. (2000) Autism diagnostic observation schedule – WPS edition. Western Psychological Services, Los Angles, California
- Lord, C., Storoschuk, S., Rutter, M., Pickles, A. (1993) Using the ADI-R to diagnose autism in preschool children. Infant Mental Health Journal 14: pp. 234-252 CrossRef
- Lovaas, O. I. (1987) Behavioral treatment and normal educational and intellectual functioning in young autistic children. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 55: pp. 3-9 CrossRef
- McEachin, J. J., Smith, T., Lovaas, O. I. (1993) Long-term outcome for children with autism who received early intensive behavioral treatment. American Journal on Mental Retardation 97: pp. 359-372
- Mullen, E. (1995) Mullen scales of early learning. T.O.T.A.L. Child, Inc, Cranston, RI
- Robins, D. L., Fein, D., Barton, M. L., Green, J. A. (2001) The modified checklist for autism in toddlers: An initial study investigating the early detection of autism and pervasive developmental disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 31: pp. 131-144 CrossRef
- Rogers, S. J. (2001). Diagnosis of autism before the age of 3. In L. M. Glidden (Ed.), International review of research in mental retardation (Vol. 23, pp. 1–31). San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Rogers, S. J., Lewis, H. (1989) An effective day treatment model for young children with pervasive developmental disorders. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 28: pp. 207-214 CrossRef
- Rutter, M., Le Couteur, A., & Lord, C. (1991). Autism diagnostic interview, revised, toddler form.
- Rutter, M., Le Couteur, A., Lord, C. (1995) Autism diagnostic interview, revised-WPS edition. Western Psychological Services, Los Angles, California
- Saemundsen, E., Magnusson, P., Smari, J., Sigurdardottir, S. (2003) Autism Diagnostic Interview – revised and the Childhood Autism Rating Scale: Convergence and discrepancy in diagnosing autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 33: pp. 319-328 CrossRef
- Schopler, E., Reichler, R. J., DeVellis, R. F., Daly, K. (1980) Toward objective classification of childhood autism: Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS). Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 10: pp. 91-103 CrossRef
- Schopler, E., Reichler, R. J., Renner, B. R. (1980) The Childhood Autism Rating Scale. Western Psychological Services, Los Angeles
- Sheinkopf, S. J., Siegel, B. (1998) Home based behavioral treatment of young children with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 28: pp. 15-23 CrossRef
- Sparrow, S., Bala, D., Cicchetti, D. (1984) The Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales. American Guidance Services, Circle Pines, MN
- Spitzer, R. L., Siegel, B. (1990) The DSM-III-R trial of pervasive developmental disorders. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 29: pp. 855-862 CrossRef
- Stella, J., Mundy, P., Tuchman, R. (1999) Social and nonsocial factors in the Childhood Autism Rating Scale. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 29: pp. 307-317 CrossRef
- Stone, W. L., Lee, E. B., Ashford, L., Brissie, J., Hepburn, S. L., Coonrod, E. E. (1999) Can autism be diagnosed accurately in children under 3 years?. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines 40: pp. 219-226 CrossRef
- Agreement Among Four Diagnostic Instruments for Autism Spectrum Disorders in Toddlers
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 36, Issue 7 , pp 839-847
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Diagnostic instruments
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, University of Connecticut, 406 Babbidge Rd., Storrs, CT, 06269-1020, USA
- 2. Georgia State University, Atlanta, USA