Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS) and Autism Behavior Checklist (ABC) Correspondence and Conflicts with DSM-IV Criteria in Diagnosis of Autism
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS) and Autism Behavior Checklist (ABC) are tests widely used for screening and diagnosis of autism. This study verified their correspondence and conflict with a diagnosis made with DSM-IV criteria. The sample consisted of 65 children, aged 18 months to 11 years. We found complete agreement between DSM-IV and CARS. We show that ABC does not distinguish individuals with autistic disorders from other cases of developmental disorders as well as CARS: the number of false negatives is high (46%) with ABC as opposed to 0% with CARS.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Cicchetti, D., Sparrow, S.S., Balla, D.A. (1984) Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scale. A.G.S. Circle Pines, Minnesota
- De Long, G. R., & Nothria, C. (1994). Psychiatry family history and neurologic disease in autism spectrum disorders. In Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 36, pp. 441–448.
- Eaves, R.C., Milner, B. (1993) The Criterion-relate Validity of The Childhood Autism Rating Scale and the Autism Behavior Checklist. Journal Abnormal Child Psychology 21: pp. 481-491
- Garfin, D., McCallon, D., Cox, R. (1988) Validity and reliability of Childhood Autism Rating Scale with autistic adolescents. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 18: pp. 367-378
- Kanner, L. (1943) Autistic disturbances of affective contact. Nervous Child 2: pp. 217-250
- Krug, D.A., Arick, J.R., Almond, P.J. Autism Screening Instrument for Educational Planning: Background and Development. In: Gillam, J. eds. (1978) Autism: Diagnosis, Instruction, Management and Research. University of Texas Press, Austin (Texas)
- Krug, D.A., Arick, J.R., Almond, P.J. (1980) Behavior checklist for identifying severely handicapped individuals with high levels of autistic behavior. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 21: pp. 221-229
- Lelord, G., & Sauvage, D. (1990). L′autismo infantile. Milano, Masson.
- Rutter, M. Diagnosis and definition. In: Rutter, M., Schopler, E. eds. (1978) Autism: A reappraisal of concepts and treatment. Plenum Press, New York
- Schopler, E., Reichler, J. (1971) Individualized assessment and treatment for autistic and developmentally delayed children. Vol. I, psychoeducational profile.. University Park Press, Baltimore
- Schopler, E., Reichler, J. (1980) Toward Objective Classification of Childhood Autism: Childhood Autism Rating Scale (C.A.R.S.). Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 10: pp. 91-103
- Schopler, E., Reichler, J., Renner, B. (1988) The Childhood Autism Rating Scale (C.A.R.S.). Western Psychological Services, Los Angeles
- Sevin, J.A., Matson, J.L., Coe, D. A., Fee, V.E., Sevin, B.M. (1991) A Comparison and evaluation of three commonly used autism scales. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 21: pp. 417-432
- Sponheim, E. (1996) Changing criteria of autistic disorders: a comparison of the ICD-10 research criteria and DSM-IV with DSM-III-R, Cars, and ABC. Journal of Autism Developmental Disorders 26: pp. 513-525
- Volkmar, F.R., Cicchetti, D.V., Dykens, E., Sparrow, S.S., Lekman, J.F., Cohen, D.J. (1988) An evaluation of the Autism Behavior Checklist. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 18: pp. 81-97
- Wing, L., Gould, J. (1979) Severe Impairments of social interaction and associated abnormalities in children: Epidemiology and classification. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 9: pp. 11-29
- Zappella, M. (1997) Autismo Infantile. La Nuova Italia Scientifica, Roma
- Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS) and Autism Behavior Checklist (ABC) Correspondence and Conflicts with DSM-IV Criteria in Diagnosis of Autism
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 34, Issue 6 , pp 703-708
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- childhood autism rating scale
- autism behavior checklist
- Industry Sectors