A Multitrait–Multisource Confirmatory Factor Analytic Approach to the Construct Validity of ADHD and ODD Rating Scales with Malaysian Children
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Confirmatory factor analysis (CFA) was used to model a multitrait by multisource matrix to determine the convergent and discriminant validity of measures of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)-inattention (IN), ADHD-hyperactivity/impulsivity (HI), and oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) in 917 Malaysian elementary school children. The three trait factors were ADHD-IN, ADHD-HI, and ODD. The two source factors were parents and teachers. Similar to earlier studies with Australian and Brazilian children, the parent and teacher measures failed to show convergent and discriminant validity with Malaysian children. The study outlines the implications of such strong source effects in ADHD-IN, ADHD-HI, and ODD measures for the use of such parent and teacher scales to study the symptom dimensions.
- Abikoff, H., Courtney, M., Pelham, W. E., Jr., & Koplewicz, H. S. (1993). Teachers’ ratings of disruptive behaviors: The influence of halo effects. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 21, 519–533.
- Achenbach, T. M., McConaughy, S. H., & Howell, C. T. (1987). Child/adolescent behavioral and emotional problems: Implications of cross-informant correlations for situational specificity. Psychological Bulletin, 101, 213–232.
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed., text revision). Washington, DC: Author.
- Barkley, R. A. (2003). Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. In E. J. Mash & R. A. Barkley (Eds.), Child psychopathology (2nd ed., pp. 75–143). New York: Guilford.
- Barkley, R. A., & Murphy, K. R. (1998). Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: A clinical workbook (2nd ed.). New York: Guilford.
- Biederman, J., Keenan, K., & Faraone, S. V. (1990). Parent-based diagnosis of attention deficit disorder predicts a diagnosis based on teacher report. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 29, 698–701.
- Burns, G. L. (2000). Problem of item overlap between the Psychopathy Screening Device and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, oppositional defiant disorder, and conduct disorder rating scales. Psychological Assessment, 12, 447–450.
- Burns, G. L., Boe, B., Walsh, J. A., Sommers-Flanagan, R., & Teegarden, L. A. (2001). A confirmatory factor analysis on the DSM-IV ADHD and ODD symptoms: What is the best model for the organization of these symptoms? Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 29, 339–349.
- Burns, G. L., Gomez, R., Walsh, J. A., & Moura, M. A. (2003). Understanding source effects in ADHD rating scales: Reply to DuPaul (2003). Psychological Assessment, 15, 118–119.
- Burns, G. L., & Haynes, S. N. (in press). Clinical psychology: Construct validation with multiple sources of information and multiple settings. In M. Eid & E. Diener (Eds.), Handbook of psychological measurement: A multimethod perspective. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Burns, G. L., & Walsh, J. A. (2002). The influence of ADHD-hyperactivity/impulsivity symptoms on the development of oppositional defiant disorder symptoms in a 2-year longitudinal study. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 30, 245–256.
- Byrne, B. M. (2001). Structural equation modeling with AMOS: Basic concepts, applications, and programming. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Crano, W. D. (2000). The multitrait–multimethod matrix as synopsis and recapitulation of Campbell’s views on the proper conduct of social inquiry. In L. Bickman (Ed.), Research design: Donald Campbell’s legacy (Vol. 2. pp. 37–61). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Crystal, D. S., Ostrander, R., Chen, R. S., & August, G. J. (2001). Multimethod assessment of psychopathology among DSM-IV subtypes of children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 29, 189–206.
- Dishion, T. J., Burraston, B., & Li, F. (2002). Family management practices: Research design and measurement issues. In Z. Sloboda & W. J. Bukoski (Eds.), Handbook for drug abuse prevention: Theory, science, and practice (pp. 587–607). New York: Plenum.
- DuPaul, G. J. (2003). Assessment of ADHD symptoms: Comment on Gomez et al. (2003). Psychological Assessment, 15, 115–117.
- DuPaul, G. J., Anastopoulos, A. D., Power, T. J., Reid, R., McGoey, K. E., & Ikeda, M. J. (1998). Parent ratings of ADHD symptoms: Factor structure, normative data, and psychometric properties. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 20, 83–102.
- DuPaul, G. J., Power, T. J., Anastopoulos, A. D., Reid, R., McGoey, K. E., & Ikeda, M. J. (1997). Teacher ratings of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms: Factor structure and normative data. Psychological Assessment, 9, 436–444.
- Gomez, R., Harvey, J., Quick, C., Scharer, I., & Harris, G. (1999). DSM-IV AD/HD: Confirmatory factor models, prevalence, and gender and age differences based on parent and teacher ratings of Australian primary school children. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, 40, 265–274.
- Gomez, R., Burns, G. L., Walsh, J. A., & Moura, M. A. (2003). Trait, source and error variance in ADHD symptoms in Australian and Brazilian Children: A multitrait–multisource confirmatory factor analytic approach to the construct validity of ADHD rating scales. Psychological Assessment, 15, 3–16.
- Greenbaum, P. E., Dedrick, R. F., Prange, M. E., & Friedman, R. M. (1994). Parent, teacher, and child ratings of problem behaviors of youngsters with serious emotional disturbances. Psychological Assessment, 6, 141–148.
- Hall, R. J., Snell, A. F., & Foust, M. S. (1999). Item parceling strategies in SEM: Investigating the subtle effects of unmodeled secondary constructs. Organization Research Methods, 2, 233–256.
- Haynes, S. N., & O’Brien, W. H. (2000). Principles and practice of behavioral assessment. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum.
- Haynes, S. N., Richard, D. C. S., & Kubany, E. S. (1995). Content validity in psychological assessment: A functional approach to concepts and methods. Psychological Assessment, 7, 238–247.
- Hu, L., & Bentler, P. M. (1999). Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structural Equation Modeling, 6, 1–55.
- Lance, C. E., Noble, C. L., & Scullen, S. E. (2002). A critique of the correlated trait-correlated method and correlated uniqueness models for multitrait–multimethod data. Psychological Methods, 7, 228–244.
- Langhorne, J. E., Loney, J., Paternite, C. E., & Bechtoldt, H. P. (1976). Childhood hyperkinesis: A return to the source. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 85, 201–209.
- Molina, B. S., Smith, B. H., & Pelham, W. E. (2001). Factor structure and criterion validity of secondary school teacher ratings of ADHD and ODD. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 29, 71–82.
- Muthén, L. K., & Muthén, B. O. (1998–2004). Mplus User’s Guide (3rd Ed.). Los Angeles, CA: Muthén & Muthén.
- Nasser, F., & Takahashi, T. (2003). The effect of using item parcels on confirmatory factor analysis: An example using Sarason’s reactions to tests. Applied Measurement in Education, 16, 75–97.
- Nasser, F., & Wisenbaker, J. (2003). A Monte Carlo study investigating the impact of item parceling on measures of fit in confirmatory factor analysis. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 63, 729–757.
- Pillow, D. R., Pelham, W. E., Jr., Hoza, B., Molina, B. S. G., & Schultz, C. H. (1999). Confirmatory factor analyses examining attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms and other childhood disruptive behaviors. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 26, 293-309.
- Stevens, J., Quittner, A. L., & Abikoff, H. (1998). Factors influencing elementary school teachers’ rating of ADHD and ODD behaviors. Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 27, 406-414.
- Rowe, D. C., & Kandel, D. (1997). In the eye of the beholder? Parental ratings of externalizing and internalizing symptoms. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 25, 265–275.
- West, S. G., Finch, J. F., & Curran, P. J. (1995). Structural equation models with nonnormal variables: Problems and remedies. In R. H. Hoyle (Ed.), Structural equation modeling: Concepts, issues, and applications (pp. 56–75). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- A Multitrait–Multisource Confirmatory Factor Analytic Approach to the Construct Validity of ADHD and ODD Rating Scales with Malaysian Children
Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
Volume 33, Issue 2 , pp 241-254
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder
- oppositional defiant disorder
- confirmatory factor analysis
- multitrait–multimethod matrix
- convergent validity
- discriminant validity
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Behavioural and Social Sciences and Humanities, University of Ballarat, Ballarat, Australia
- 2. Department of Psychology, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington
- 3. Department of Psychology, University of Montana, Missoula, Montana