Reduced decompositions and permutation patterns
- Bridget Eileen Tenner
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Billey, Jockusch, and Stanley characterized 321-avoiding permutations by a property of their reduced decompositions. This paper generalizes that result with a detailed study of permutations via their reduced decompositions and the notion of pattern containment. These techniques are used to prove a new characterization of vexillary permutations in terms of their principal dual order ideals in a particular poset. Additionally, the combined frameworks yield several new results about the commutation classes of a permutation. In particular, these describe structural aspects of the corresponding graph of the classes and the zonotopal tilings of a polygon defined by Elnitsky that is associated with the permutation.
- Billey, S.C., Jockusch, W., Stanley, R.P. (1993) Some combinatorial properties of Schubert polynomials. J. Alg. Combin. 2: pp. 345-374 CrossRef
- A. Björner, “private communication,” April 2005.
- Björner, A., Brenti, F. (2005) Combinatorics of Coxeter Groups, Graduate Texts in Mathematics 231. Springer, New York
- Elnitsky, S. (1997) Rhombic tilings of polygons and classes of reduced words in Coxeter groups. J. Combin. Theory, Ser. A 77: pp. 193-221 CrossRef
- Green, R.M., Losonczy, J. (2002) Freely braided elements in Coxeter groups. Ann. Comb. 6: pp. 337-348
- R.M. Green and J. Losonczy, “Freely braided elements in Coxeter groups, II,” Adv. in Appl. Math. 33 (2004), 26–39.
- Kelly, L.M., Rottenberg, R. (1972) Simple points in pseudoline arrangements. Pacific J. Math. 40: pp. 617-622
- Lascoux, A., Schützenberger, M.P. (1982) Polynômes de Schubert. C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris, Série I 294: pp. 447-450
- I.G. Macdonald, Notes on Schubert Polynomials, Laboratoire de combinatoire et d’;informatique mathématique (LACIM), Université du Québec à Montréal, Montreal, 1991.
- T. Mansour, The enumeration of permutations whose posets have a maximal element, preprint.
- Mansour, T. (2004) On an open problem of Green and Losonczy: Exact enumeration of freely braided permutations. Discrete Math. Theor. Comput. Sci. 6: pp. 461-470
- D.V. Pasechnik and B. Shapiro, “In search of higher permutahedra,” preprint.
- Reiner, V. (2005) Note on the expected number of Yang-Baxter moves applicable to reduced decompositions. Europ. J. Combin. 26: pp. 1019-1021 CrossRef
- B. Shapiro, M. Shapiro, and A. Vainshtein, “Connected components in the intersection of two open opposite Schubert cells in SL n ℝ/B,” Intern. Math. Res. Notices, no. 10 (1997), 469–493.
- Simion, R., Schmidt, F.W. (1985) Restricted permutations. European J. Combin. 6: pp. 383-406
- R.P. Stanley, Enumerative Combinatorics, vol. 2, Cambridge Studies in Advanced Mathematics, no. 62, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1999.
- Stanley, R.P. (1984) On the number of reduced decompositions of elements of Coxeter groups. European J. Combin. 5: pp. 359-372
- Reduced decompositions and permutation patterns
Journal of Algebraic Combinatorics
Volume 24, Issue 3 , pp 263-284
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Reduced decomposition
- Permutation pattern
- Vexillary permutation
- Zonotopal tiling
- Freely braided permutation
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA, 02139, USA