METEOR-S WSDI: A Scalable P2P Infrastructure of Registries for Semantic Publication and Discovery of Web Services
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Web services are the new paradigm for distributed computing. They have much to offer towards interoperability of applications and integration of large scale distributed systems. To make Web services accessible to users, service providers use Web service registries to publish them. Current infrastructure of registries requires replication of all Web service publications in all Universal Business Registries. Large growth in number of Web services as well as the growth in the number of registries would make this replication impractical. In addition, the current Web service discovery mechanism is inefficient, as it does not support discovery based on the capabilities of the services, leading to a lot of irrelevant matches. Semantic discovery or matching of services is a promising approach to address this challenge. In this paper, we present a scalable, high performance environment for Web service publication and discovery among multiple registries. This work uses an ontology-based approach to organize registries into domains, enabling domain based classification of all Web services. Each of these registries supports semantic publication and discovery of Web services. We believe that the semantic approach suggested in this paper will significantly improve Web service publication and discovery involving a large number of registries. This paper describes the implementation and architecture of the METEOR-S Web Service Discovery Infrastructure, which leverages peer-to-peer computing as a scalable solution.
- Universal Description, Discovery and Integration, UDDI Technical White paper (2000). http://www.uddi.org/pubs/Iru_UDDI_Technical_White_Paper.pdf
- E. Box et al., Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) 1.1 (May 2000). Available at http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP.
- E. Christensen et al., Web Services Description Language (WSDL) 1.1, W3C Note (March 2001). Available at http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl
- The Evolution of UDDI, UDDI.org White paper (2002). http://www.uddi.org/pubs/the_evolution_of_uddi_20020719.pdf
- L. Gallagher and L. Carnahan, A general purpose registry/repository information model, Information Technology Laboratory National Institute of Standards and Technology, 2nd draft (23 October 2000).
- S. Macroibeaird et al., Using UDDI to find ebXML Regs/Reps (April 2001). http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-regrep/200104/pdf00002.pdf
- T.R. Gruber, A translation approach to portable ontology specifications, Knowledge Acquisition 5(2) (1993) 199–220. CrossRef
- F. Curbera, D. Ehnebuske and D. Rogers, Using WSDL in a UDDI Registry, Version 1.07, UDDI Best Practice (May 21, 2002). http://www.uddi.org/pubs/wsdlbestpractices-V1.07-Open-20020521.pdf
- R. Schollmeier, A definition of peer-to-peer networking for the classification of peer-to-peer architectures and applications, in: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing (2001).
- F. Curbera, W. Nagy and S. Weerawarana, Web services: Why and how, in: Workshop on Object-Oriented Web Services-OOPSLA 2001, Tampa, Florida, USA (October 2001).
- T. Berners-Lee, J. Hendler and O. Lassila, The semantic Web, Scientific American 284(5) (2001) 34–43.
- T. Gruber, The role of common ontology in achieving sharable, reusable knowledge bases, in: Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, eds. J.A. Allen, R. Fikes and E. Sandewall (Morgan Kaufman, San Mateo, CA, 1991).
- V. Kashyap and A. Sheth, Semantics-based information brokering, in: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM) (November 1994).
- A. Sheth, Changing focus on interoperability in information systems: From system, syntax, structure to semantics, in: Interoperating Geographic Information Systems, eds. M. Goodchild, M. Egenhofer, R. Fegeas and C. Kottman (Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht, 1998).
- A. Sheth and R. Meersman, Amicalola report: Database and information system research challenges and opportunities in semantic web and enterprises, SIGMOD Record 31(4) (December 2002).
- M. Dumas, J. O’Sullivan, M. Heravizadeh, D. Edmond and A. Hofstede, Towards a semantic framework for service description, in: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Database Semantics, Hong-Kong, April 2001 (Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht, 2001).
- W. Grosso, H. Eriksson, R. Fergerson, J. Gennari, S. Tu and M. Musen, Knowledge modeling at the millennium: The design and evolution of Protege-2000, in: Proc. of the 12th International Workshop on Knowledge Acquisition, Modeling and Management (KAW’99), Banff, Canada (1999).
- F. Gandon, Ontology engineering: A survey and a return on experience, Institut de Recherche en Informatique et Automatique (INRIA) (March 2002). ftp://ftp-sop.inria.fr/acacia/fgandon/FabienGandon_RR4396.pdf
- M. Denny, Ontology building: A survey of editing tools (November 6, 2002). http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/11/06/ontologies.html
- Core Component Dictionary, ebXML Core Components (May 2001). http://www.ebxml.org/specs/ccDICT.pdf
- M. Paolucci et al., Importing the semantic Web in UDDI, in: Proceedings of E-Services and the Semantic Web Workshop (2002).
- B. Benatallah, M. Dumas, M.-C. Fauvet and F. Rabhi, Towards patterns of web services composition, in: Patterns and Skeletons for Parallel and Distributed Computing, eds. S. Gorlatch and F. Rabhi (Springer (UK), 2002).
- L. Gong, JXTA: A network programming environment, IEEE Internet Computing 5(3) (May/June 2001) 88–95.
- K. Sivashanmugam, K. Verma, A. Sheth and J. Miller, Adding semantics to Web services standards, in: Proceedings of the International Conference on Web Services (2003) pp. 395–401.
- A. Patil, S. Oundhakar and A. Sheth, Semantic annotation of Web services, Technical report, LSDIS Lab, Department of Computer Science, University of Georgia (March 2003).
- V. Kashyap and A. Sheth, Semantic and schematic similarities between database objects: A context-based approach, VLDB Journal 5(4) (1996).
- J. Madhavan, P.A. Bernstein and E. Rahm, Generic schema matching with cupid, in: Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Very Large Databases (2001) pp. 49–58.
- OASIS/ebXML Registry Services Specification v2.35: Committee Working Draft, OASIS, ebXML Registry Technical Committee (February 2003). http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ebxmlrr/ebxmlrr-spec/doc/ebRS.doc
- C. Bussler, D. Fensel and A. Maedche, A conceptual architecture for Sematic Web enabled Web services, SIGMOD Record 31(4) (2002) pp. 24–29.
- A. Ankolekar et al., DAML-S: Web service description for the Semantic Web, in: International Semantic Web Conference, Sardinia, Italy (2002) pp. 348–363.
- DAML-S: Semantic Markup for Web Services, The DAML Services Coalition, http://www.daml.org/services/daml-s/0.7/daml-s.pdf
- M. Schlosser et al., A scalable and ontology-based P2P infrastructure for Semantic Web services (2002).
- M. Arumugam, A. Sheth and I.B. Arpinar, Towards peer-to-peer Semantic Web: A distributed environment for sharing semantic knowledge on the Web (2001).
- A. Maedche and S. Staab, Services on the move – towards P2P-enabled Semantic Web services, in: Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Information Technology and Travel & Tourism, ENTER 2003, Helsinki (31 January 2003).
- K. Aberer, P. Cudré-Mauroux and M. Hauswirth, A framework for semantic gossiping, SIGMOD Record 31(4) (2002).
- Java Web Services Developer Pack, http://java.sun.com/webservices/webservicespack.html
- A. Sheth, W. Aalst and I.B. Arpinar, Processes driving the networked economy, IEEE Concurrency 7(3) (July–September 1999) 18–31.
- METEOR-S WSDI: A Scalable P2P Infrastructure of Registries for Semantic Publication and Discovery of Web Services
Information Technology and Management
Volume 6, Issue 1 , pp 17-39
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Semantic Web services
- semantic annotation of Web services
- semantic publication
- semantic discovery
- domain-based registry
- Industry Sectors