Optimal tax base with administrative fixed costs
- Stéphane Gauthier
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This note characterizes the optimal base for commodity taxation in the presence of administrative fixed costs varying across goods. For low tax rates, the optimal base only comprises commodities whose discouragement index is greater than the ratio of their administrative costs to the tax they yield. An illustration with UK data shows that a category of goods should be taxed only if the revenue generated on this category is at least ten times greater than its administrative fixed cost. The cost imputable to the category of goods taxed at the standard rate would be at most 6 percent of total VAT revenue. The administration cost associated with categories of goods currently tax-free could justify exemption.
- Alm, J. (1996) What is an optimal tax system?. National Tax Journal 49: pp. 117-133
- Belan, P., Gauthier, S., Laroque, G. (2008) Optimal grouping of commodities for indirect taxation. Journal of Public Economics 92: pp. 1738-1750 CrossRef
- Bickley, J. (2003) Value added tax: concepts, policy issues, and OECD experiences. Novinka Books, New York
- Evans, C. (2003). Studying the studies: an overview of recent research into taxation operating costs. eJournal of Tax Research 1.
- Kaplow, L. (1990) Optimal taxation with costly enforcement and evasion. Journal of Public Economics 43: pp. 221-236 CrossRef
- Mayshar, J. (1991) Taxation with costly administration. Scandinavian Journal of Economics 93: pp. 75-88 CrossRef
- Mirrlees, J. (1976) Optimal tax theory: a synthesis. Journal of Public Economics 6: pp. 327-358 CrossRef
- Polinsky, A. M., & Shavell, S. (1984). Pigouvian taxation with administrative costs. NBER working papers 742, National Bureau of Economic Research.
- Sandford, C., Godwin, M., Hardwick, P. (1989) Administrative and compliance costs of taxation. Fiscal Publications, United Kingdom
- Shaw, J., Slemrod, J., & Whiting, J. (2010). Administration and compliance. URL http://www.ifs.org.uk/mirrleesreview/dimensions/ch12.pdf.
- Slemrod, J. (1991). Optimal taxation and optimal tax systems. NBER working papers 3038, National Bureau of Economic Research.
- Slemrod, J., Yitzhaki, S. (1996) The costs of taxation and the marginal efficiency cost of funds. IMF Staff Papers 43: pp. 172-198 CrossRef
- Wilson, J. D. (1989) On the optimal tax base for commodity taxation. American Economic Review 79: pp. 1196-1206
- Yitzhaki, S. (1979) A note on optimal taxation and administrative costs. American Economic Review 69: pp. 475-480
- Optimal tax base with administrative fixed costs
International Tax and Public Finance
Volume 20, Issue 6 , pp 961-973
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Indirect taxation
- Tax base
- Administrative costs
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Paris School of Economics and University of Paris 1, 106-112, bd de l’Hôpital, 75013, Paris, France