Profit taxes and financing constraints
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Without financing frictions, profit taxes reduce investment by their effect on the user cost of capital. With financing constraints, investment becomes sensitive to cash-flow. In this situation, even small taxes impose first order welfare losses, and ACE and cash-flow tax systems are no longer neutral. When banks become active and provide monitoring services in addition to finance, an ACE tax yields larger investment and welfare than an equal yield cash-flow tax.
- Aghion, P., Fally, T., & Scarpetta, S. (2007). Credit constraints as a barrier to the entry and post-entry growth of firms. Economic Policy, 731–779.
- Auerbach, A. J. (2002). Taxation and corporate financial policy. In A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (Eds.), Handbook of public economics (Vol. 3, pp. 1251–1292). Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Beck, T., & Demirgüc-Kunt, A. (2006). Small and medium-size enterprises: access to finance as a growth constraint. Journal of Banking & Finance, 30, 2931–2943. CrossRef
- Beck, T., Demirgüc-Kunt, A., & Maksimovic, V. (2005). Financial and legal constraints to growth: does firm size matter? Journal of Finance, 60, 137–177. CrossRef
- Boadway, R., & Bruce, N. (1984). A general proposition on the design of a neutral business tax. Journal of Public Economics, 24, 231–239. CrossRef
- Bond, S. R., & Devereux, M. P. (1995). On the design of a neutral business tax under uncertainty. Journal of Public Economics, 58, 57–71. CrossRef
- Bond, S. R., & Devereux, M. P. (2003). Generalised R-based and S-based taxes under uncertainty. Journal of Public Economics, 87, 1291–1311. CrossRef
- Brown, J. R., & Petersen, B. C. (2009). Why has the investment-cash flow sensitivity declined so sharply? Rising R&D and equity market developments. Journal of Banking & Finance, 33, 971–984. CrossRef
- Calomiris, C. W., & Hubbard, G. R. (1995). Internal finance and investment: evidence from the undistributed profits tax of 1936–1937. Journal of Business, 68, 443–482. CrossRef
- Carpenter, R. E., & Petersen, B. C. (2002). Is the growth of small firms constrained by internal finance? Review of Economics and Statistics, 84, 298–309. CrossRef
- Chetty, R., & Saez, E. (2010). Dividend and corporate taxation in an agency model of the firm. American Economic Journal: Economic Policy , 2, 1–31. CrossRef
- Chirinko, R. S., & Schaller, H. (1995). Why does liquidity matter in investment equations? Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, 27, 527–548. CrossRef
- Degryse, H., & Ongena, S. (2005). Distance, lending relationships, and competition. Journal of Finance, 60, 231–266. CrossRef
- Diamond, D. W. (1984). Financial intermediation and delegated monitoring. Review of Economic Studies, 51, 393–414. CrossRef
- Ellingsen, T., & Kristiansen, E. G. (2011). Financial contracting under imperfect enforcement. Quarterly Journal of Economics, 126, 323–371. CrossRef
- Ellul, A., Pagano, M., & Panunzi, F. (2010). Inheritance law and investment in family firms. American Economic Review, 100, 2414–2450. CrossRef
- Eswaran, M., & Kotwal, A. (1984). The moral hazard of budget-breaking. Rand Journal of Economics, 15, 578–581. CrossRef
- Fazzari, S. M., Hubbard, G. R., & Petersen, B. C. (1988a). Financing constraints and corporate investment. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, 1, 141–195. CrossRef
- Fazzari, S. M., Hubbard, G. R., & Petersen, B. C. (1988b). Investment, financing decisions, and tax policy. American Economic Review, 78, 200–205.
- Fazzari, S. M., & Petersen, B. C. (1993). Working capital and fixed investment: new evidence on financing constraints. Rand Journal of Economics, 24, 328–342. CrossRef
- Fukuda, A., & Hirota, S. (1996). Main bank relationships and capital structure in Japan. Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, 10, 250–261. CrossRef
- Gorton, G., & Schmid, F. A. (2000). Universal banking and the performance of German firms. Journal of Financial Economics, 58, 29–80. CrossRef
- Guiso, L. (1998). High-tech firms and credit rationing. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 35, 39–59. CrossRef
- Hagen, K. P., & Sannarnes, J. G. (2007). Taxation of uncertain business profits, private risk markets and optimal allocation of risk. Journal of Public Economics, 91, 1507–1517. CrossRef
- Hellmann, T., & Puri, M. (2002). Venture capital and the professionalization of start-ups: empirical evidence. Journal of Finance, 57, 167–169. CrossRef
- Holmstrom, B. (1982). Moral hazard in teams. Bell Journal of Economics, 13, 324–340. CrossRef
- Holmstrom, B., & Tirole, J. (1997). Financial intermediation, loanable funds, and the real sector. Quarterly Journal of Economics, 112, 663–691. CrossRef
- Hoshi, T., Kashyap, A., & Scharfstein, D. (1990). The role of banks in reducing the costs of financial distress in Japan. Journal of Financial Economics, 27, 67–88. CrossRef
- Hubbard, G. R. (1998). Capital-market imperfections and investment. Journal of Economic Literature, 36, 193–225.
- Institute for Fiscal Studies (1991). Equity for Companies: a Corporation tax for the 1990s, Commentary 26. London: Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Jensen, M. C. (1986). Agency costs of free cash flow, corporate finance, and takeovers. American Economic Review, 76, 323–329.
- Jorgenson, D. W. (1963). Capital theory and investment behavior. American Economic Review, 53, 247–259.
- Kanniainen, V., & Södersten, J. (1994). Costs of monitoring and corporate taxation. Journal of Public Economics, 55, 307–321. CrossRef
- Kaplan, S. N., & Zingales, L. (1997). Do investment-cash flow sensitivities provide useful measures of financing constraints? Quarterly Journal of Economics, 112, 169–215. CrossRef
- Keuschnigg, C., & Nielsen, S.-B. (2004). Start-ups, venture capitalists, and the capital gains tax. Journal of Public Economics, 88, 1011–1042. CrossRef
- Köthenbürger, M., & Stimmelmayr, M. (2009). Corporate taxation and corporate governance, CESifo WP 2881.
- McAfee, Preston, R., & McMillan, J. (1991). Optimal contracts for teams. International Economic Review, 32, 561–577. CrossRef
- Meade, J. E. (1978). The structure and reform of direct taxation. London: George Allen and Unwin.
- Mirrlees, J., et al. (2010). Dimensions of tax design. The Mirrlees review. London: Institute for Fiscal Studies/Oxford University Press.
- Mirrlees, J., et al. (2011). Tax by design. The Mirrlees review. Conclusions and recommendations for reform. London: Institute for Fiscal Studies/Oxford University Press.
- Petersen, M. A., & Rajan, R. G. (1994). The benefits of lending relationships: evidence from small business data. Journal of Finance, 49, 3–37. CrossRef
- Sandmo, A. (1979). A note on the neutrality of the cash-flow corporation tax. Economics Letters, 4, 173–176. CrossRef
- Schaller, H. (1993). Asymmetric information, liquidity constraints, and Canadian investment. Canadian Journal of Economics, 26, 552–574. CrossRef
- Tirole, J. (2006). The theory of corporate finance. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Tirole, J. (2001). Corporate governance. Econometrica, 69, 1–35. CrossRef
- US President’s Advisory Panel on Federal Tax Reform (2006), Simple, fair, and pro-growth: proposals to fix America’s tax system, Washington, DC.
- Profit taxes and financing constraints
International Tax and Public Finance
Volume 20, Issue 5 , pp 808-826
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Financing constraints
- Cash-flow tax
- ACE tax
- Industry Sectors