A network view of business systems
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, we present a novel business network construction approach, where the nodes of the network correspond to the names of the companies in a particular stock market index, and its links show the co-occurrence of two company names in daily news. Our approach consists of two phases, in which search for the company names in the news articles and network construction operations are performed, respectively. To increase the quality of results, each article is classified as business news or not business news before these operations, and only the articles that are classified as business news are considered for network construction. The resulting network presents a visualization of the business events and company relationships during the corresponding time period. We study both co-occurrences as well as single occurrences of company names in the articles scanned in our analysis.
- Albert, R, Jeong, H, Barabasi, A-L (1999) Diameter of the world wide web. Nature 401: pp. 130-131 CrossRef
- Barabasi, AL (2003) Scale-free networks. Scientific American 288: pp. 50-59 CrossRef
- Barabasi, AL (2007) Network medicine—from obesity to the “diseasome”. The New England Journal of Medicine 357: pp. 404-407 CrossRef
- Barabasi, AL (2009) Scale-free networks: a decade and beyond. Science 325: pp. 412-413 CrossRef
- Batagelj, V., & Mrvar, A. (2009). Pajek—program for large network analysis, http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/pub/networks/pajek/. Accessed 20 July 2010.
- Bengtsson, M, Kock, S (1999) Cooperation and competition in relationships between competitors in business networks. Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing 14: pp. 178-194 CrossRef
- Costa, L. D., Oliveira, O. N. Jr., Travieso, G., Rodrigues, F. A., Boas, P. R., & Antiqueira, L. (2008). Analyzing and modeling real-world phenomena with complex networks: a survey of applications, arXiv:0711.3199v3 [physics.soc-ph].
- Dezso, Z, Almaas, E, Lukacs, A, Racz, B, Szakadat, I, Barabasi, A-L (2006) Dynamics of information access on the web. Physical Review E 73: pp. 066132 CrossRef
- Dunne, JA, Williams, RJ, Martinez, ND (2002) Food-web structure and network theory: the role of connectance and size. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 99: pp. 12,917-12,922 CrossRef
- Erdos, P, Renyi, A (1959) On random graphs I. Publicationes Mathematicae Debrecen 6: pp. 290-297
- Goh, K-I, Cusick, ME, Valle, D, Childs, B, Vidal, M, Barabasi, A-L (2007) Human disease network. PNAS 104: pp. 8,685-8,690 CrossRef
- Guimera, R, Mossa, S, Turtschi, A, Amaral, LAN (2005) The worldwide air transportation network: anomalous centrality, community structure, and cities’ global roles. PNAS 102: pp. 7,794-7,799 CrossRef
- Krebs, V. (2006). Social network analysis, http://www.orgnet.com/netindustry.html. Accessed 10 May 2010.
- Mantegna, RN (1999) Hierarchical structure in financial markets. The European Pysical Journal B 11: pp. 193-197 CrossRef
- Onnela, J. P. (2006). Complex networks in the study of financial and social systems. Ph.D. Thesis, Laboratory of Computational Engineering, Helsinki University of Technology, Finland.
- Onnela, J. P. (2002). Taxonomy of financial assets. M.S. Thesis, Helsinki University of Technology, Finland.
- Onnela, J. P., Chakraborti, A., Kaski, K., & Kertesz, J. (2003a). Dynamic asset trees and Black Monday. Physica A, doi:10.1016/S0378-4371(02)01882-4.
- Onnela, J-P, Chakraborti, A, Kaski, K, Kertesz, J, Kanto, A (2003b) Asset trees and asset graphs in financial markets. PhysicaScripta T106: pp. 48-54
- Onnela, JP, Kaski, K, Kertesz, J (2004) Clustering and information in correlation based financial networks. The European Pyhsical Journal B 38: pp. 353-362 CrossRef
- Onnela, J. P., Saramaki, J., Kaski, K., & Kertesz, J. (2006). Financial market—a network perspective. practical fruits of econophysics, Nikkei econophysics III proceedings, Springer, Tokyo, 302–206.
- Steyvers, M, Tenenbaum, JB (2005) The large-scale structure of semantic networks: statistical analyses and a model of semantic growth. Cognitive Science 29: pp. 41-78 CrossRef
- Stouffer, DB (2010) Scaling from individuals to networks in food webs. Functional Ecology 24: pp. 44-51 CrossRef
- Williams, RJ, Berlow, EL, Dunne, JA, Barabasi, AL, Martinez, ND (2002) Two degrees of separation in complex food webs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 99: pp. 12913-12916 CrossRef
- Yıldırım, MA, Goh, K-I, Cusick, ME, Barabási, A-L, Vidal, M (2007) Drug-target network. Nature Biotechnology 25: pp. 1,119-1,126 CrossRef
- Yook, SH, Jeong, H, Barabasi, A-L (2002) Modeling the internet’s large-scale topology. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 99: pp. 13,382-13,386 CrossRef
- Zaversnik, M., & Batagelj, V. (2000). Generalized cores, arXiv:cs/0202039v1.
- A network view of business systems
Information Systems Frontiers
Volume 16, Issue 1 , pp 153-162
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Business systems
- Financial systems
- Text mining
- Industry Sectors