The impact of RFID technology on warehouse process innovation: A pilot project in the TPL industry
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Using the value chain model which provides a process view, this longitudinal case study and simulation modeling analysis of a Canadian third-party logistics (TPL) supply chain provides some empirical support for the enabling role of RFID technology in effecting warehouse process innovation and optimization for the focal TPL firm. However, the findings of our study also reveal the RFID technology implementation costs as the key inhibitor of RFID widespread adoption and usage among suppliers. This, in turn, precluded the focal TPL firm from implementing the best optimum RFID solution to create better business value from the RFID project.
- Asoo, J. V. (2002). e-Business and supply chain management. Decision Sciences, 33(4), 495–504. CrossRef
- Benbasat, I., Goldstein, D. K., & Mead, M. (1987). The case research strategy in studies of information systems. MIS Quarterly, 11(3), 369–386. CrossRef
- Bendavid, Y., Lefebvre, E., Lefebvre, L. A., & Fosso Wamba, S. (2009). Key performance indicators for the evaluation of RFID-enabled b-to-b e-commerce applications: the case of a five-layer supply chain. Information Systems and E-Business Management, 7(1), 1–20. CrossRef
- Bergvall-Kareborn, B., Hoist, M., & Stahlbrost, A. (2009, January 5–8). Concept Design with a Living Lab Approach. Paper presented at the The 22nd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), Waikoloa, Big Island, Hawaii
- Bevilacqua, M., Ciarapica, F. E., & Giacchetta, G. (2009). Business process reengineering of a supply chain and a traceability system: a case study. Journal of Food Engineering, 93, 13–22. CrossRef
- Brousseau, E. (1994). EDI and inter-firm relationships: toward a standardization of coordination processes. Information, Economics and Policy, 6(3–4), 319–347. CrossRef
- Capone, G., Costlow, D., Grenoble, W. L., & Novack, R. A. (2004). The RFID-enabled warehouse: Center for Supply- Chain Research, Penn State University.
- Curtin, J., Kauffman, R. J., & Riggins, F. J. (2007). Making the most out of RFID technology: a research agenda for the study of the adoption, usage and impact of RFID. Information Technology and Management, 8(2), 87–110. CrossRef
- De Koster, R., Le-Duc, T., & Roodbergen, K. J. (2007). Design and control of warehouse order picking: a literature review. European Journal of Operational Research, 182(2), 481–501. CrossRef
- Dedrick, J., & Kraemer, K. L. (2005). The impacts of IT on firm and industry structure: the personal computer industry. California Management Review, 47(3), 122–142.
- Dreiling, A., Rosemann, M., Van der Aalst, W., Heuser, L., & Schulz, K. (2006). Model-based software configuration: patterns and languages. European Journal of Information Systems, 15, 583–600. CrossRef
- Eisenhardt, K. M. (1989). Building theories from case study research. Academy of Management Review, 14(4), 532–550.
- Eriksson, M., Niitamo, V., Kulkki, S., & Hribernik, K. A. (2007). Living labs as a multi-contextual R&D methodology, Proceedings of the13th ICE conference on concurrent (collaborative) innovation. France: Sophia-Antipolis.
- Følstad, A. (2008). Living Labs for innovation and development of information and communication technology: a literature review. The Electronic Journal for Virtual Organizations and Networks, “Special Issue on Living Labs”, 10, 99–131.
- Fosso Wamba, S., & Bendavid, Y. (2008). Understanding the impact of emerging technologies on process optimization: the case of RFID technology, 13th Asian-Pacific Decision Sciences Conference. Australia: Queensland.
- Fosso Wamba, S., & Chatfield, A. (2009). A contingency model for creating value from RFID supply chain projects in logistics and manufacturing environments. European Journal of Information Systems, Special Issue—Managing RFID Projects in Organizations, 18(6), 615–636.
- Fosso Wamba, S., Lefebvre, L. A., Bendavid, Y., & Lefebvre, É. (2008). Exploring the impact of RFID technology and the EPC network on mobile B2B eCommerce: A case study in the retail industry. International Journal of Production Economics, 112(2), 614–629. CrossRef
- Fosso Wamba, S., Lefebvre, L. A., & Lefebvre, É. (2006). Enabling intelligent B-to-B ecommerce supply chain management using RFID and the EPC network: a case study in the retail industry, The Eighth International Conference on Electronic Commerce (ICEC) (pp. 281–288). Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada.
- García, A., Chang, Y., Abarca, A., & Oh, C. (2007). RFID enhanced MAS for warehouse management. International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications, 10(2), 97–107. CrossRef
- Gartner. (2008). Market trends: radio frequency identification, worldwide, 2007–2012. from http://www.gartner.com/
- Geng, Y., & Sirkka, L. J. (2005). Trust and Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) adoption within an alliance, The 38th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences Hawaii: Computer Society Press, IEEE, Proceedings of HICSS
- Gogan, J. L., Williams, C. B., & Fedorowicz, J. (2007). RFID and interorganisational collaboration: political and administrative challenges. Electronic Government, an International Journal, 4(4), 423–435. CrossRef
- Hoyer, V., Bucherer, E., & Schnabel, F. (2008). Collaborative e-business process modelling: transforming private EPC to public BPMN business process models. In A. Ter Hofstede, B. Benatallah & H.-Y. Paik (Eds.), BPM 2007 Workshops (pp. 185–196).
- Johnston, H. R., & Vitale, M. A. (1988). Creating competitive advantage with inter-organizational information systems. MIS Quarterly, 12(2), 153–165. CrossRef
- Karakostas, B., Kardaras, D., & Papathanassiou, E. (2005). The state of CRM adoption by the financial services in the UK: an empirical investigation. Information & Management, 42(6), 853–863. CrossRef
- Langley, J. C. (2008). The state of logistics outsourcing: results and findings of the 13th annual study. Retrieved April 16, 2009, from http://3plstudy.com/?p=2008-3pl-study
- Langley, J. C., Dort, E., Ross, T., Topp, U. S., Ykes, S. R., Stata, R., et al. (2005). Third party logistics: results and findings of the 10th annual study. Atlanta: Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Lefebvre, L. A., Lefebvre, É., Bendavid, Y., Fosso Wamba, S., & Boeck, H. (2005). The potential of RFID in warehousing activities in a retail industry supply chain. Journal of Chain and Network Science, 5(2), 101–111. CrossRef
- Loebbecke, C. (2007). Piloting RFID along the supply chain: a case analysis. Electronic Markets, 17(1), 29–38. CrossRef
- Loeh, H. (2005). Concurrent Product Development and new Communication Technologies: a Research Framework. Retrieved April 10, 2009, from http://www.cetim.org/wps/
- Murphy, P. R., & Poist, R. F. (1998). Third-party logistics usage: an assessment of propositions based on previous research. Transportation Journal, 37(4), 26–35.
- Papazoglou, M. P., & Ribbers, P. M. A. (2006). e-Business: Organizational and Technical Foundations. West Sussex: Wiley.
- Porter, M. (1985). Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance. New York: The Free Press ed.
- Power, D., Sharafali, M., & Bhakoo, V. (2007). Adding value through outsourcing contribution of 3PL services to customer performance. Management Research News, 30(3), 228–235. CrossRef
- Riggins, F. J., & Mukhopadhyay, T. (1994). Interdependent benefits from interorganizational systems: Opportunities for business partner reengineering. Journal of Management Information Systems, 11(2), 37–67.
- Robey, D., Im, G., & Wareham, J. D. (2008). Theoretical foundations of empirical research on interorganizational systems: assessing past contributions and guiding future directions. Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS), 9(9), 497–518.
- Rogers, E. M. (1995). Diffusion of Innovations. New York: Free Press.
- Rouwenhorst, B., Reuter, B., Stockrahm, V., Van Houtum, G., Mantel, R., & Zijm, W. H. M. (2000). Warehouse design and control: framework and literature review. European Journal of Operational Research, 122(3), 515–533. CrossRef
- Saka, Y. (2008). Modelling distribution processes in online shopping systems. Retrieved May 01, 2009, from http://epub.wu-wien.ac.at/dyn/virlib/bakkWI/mediate/epub-wu-01_da1.pdf?ID=epub-wu-01_da1
- Scheepers, H., & Scheepers, R. (2008). A process-focused decision framework for analyzing the business value potential of IT investments. Information Systems Frontiers, 10(3), 321–330. CrossRef
- Scheer, A. W., Kirchmer, M., & Wolfram, J. (2002). Business Process Excellence: Aris in Practice. Secaucus: Springer-Verlag New York, Inc.
- Schmitt, P., & Michahelles, F. (2009). Status of RFID/EPC adoption.
- Van Den Berg, J. P., & Zijm, W. H. M. (1999). Models for warehouse management: classification and examples. International Journal of Production Economics, 59, 519–528. CrossRef
- Vathanophas, V. (2007). Business process approach toward an inter-organizational enterprise system. Business Process Management Journal, 13(3), 433–450. CrossRef
- Wu, X., & Wu, Z. (2006). Building competitive advantage with interorganizational information systems in value chain: evidence from chain retail industry, 2006 IEEE International Conference on Management of Innovation and Technology. Singapore.
- Yin, R. K. (1994). Case Study Research: Design and Methods. Newbury Park: Sage.
- Zhu, K., Dong, S., Xu, S. X., & Kraemer, K. L. (2006). Innovation diffusion in global contexts: determinants of post-adoption digital transformation of European companies. European Journal of Information Systems, 15, 601–616. CrossRef
- The impact of RFID technology on warehouse process innovation: A pilot project in the TPL industry
Information Systems Frontiers
Volume 13, Issue 5 , pp 693-706
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- RFID technology
- Business process innovation