On Event Spaces and Probabilistic Models in Information Retrieval
- Stephen Robertson
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A basic notion of probability theory is the event space, on which the probability measure is defined. A probabilistic model needs an event space. However, some classes of events (which we may want to model probabilistically) exhibit structure which does not fit well into the traditional event space notion. A simple one-to-many example is discussed at length. The information retrieval case, involving queries, documents and relevance, is analysed. The event space issue makes for some difficulty in comparing different probabilistic models in IR.
- Crestani F, Lalmas M, van Rijsbergen CJ and Campbell I (1998) Is this document relevant?... probably: a survey of probabilistic models in information retrieval. ACM Computing Surveys, 30:528–552.
- Croft WB and Lafferty J Eds. (2003) Language Modelling for Information Retrieval. Kluwer.
- Fuhr N (1992) Probabilistic Models in Information Retrieval. The Computer Journal, 35:243–255.
- Lafferty J and Zhai C (2003) Probabilistic relevance models based on document and query generation. In: (Croft and Lafferty 2003), pp. 1–10.
- Maron ME and Kuhns JL (1960) On relevance, probabilistic indexing and information retrieval. Journal of the ACM, 7:216–244.
- Ponte JM and Croft WB (1998) A language modeling approach to information retrieval. In: Croft WB, Moffat A, van Rijsbergen CJ, Wilkinson R and Zobel J, Eds. SIGIR’98: Proceedings of the 21st Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, ACM Press, pp. 275–281.
- Robertson SE, Maron ME and Cooper WS (1982) Probability of relevance: A unification of two competing models for information retrieval. Information Technology—Research and Development, 1:1–21.
- Robertson SE, Maron ME and Cooper WS (1983) The unified probabilistic model for IR. In: Salton G and Schneider H-J Eds., Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp. 108–117.
- Robertson SE and Sparck Jones K (1976) Relevance weighting of search terms. Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 27:129–146.
- Sparck Jones K, Robertson S, Hiemstra D and Zaragoza H (2003) Language modelling and relevance. In: (Croft and Lafferty, 2003), pp. 57–71.
- Wong SKM and Yao YY (1995) On modeling information retrieval with probabilistic inference. ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS), 13:38–68.
- On Event Spaces and Probabilistic Models in Information Retrieval
Volume 8, Issue 2 , pp 319-329
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- probabilistic models
- event space
- information retrieval
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Microsoft Research, 7 JJ Thomson Avenue, Cambridge, CB3 0FB, UK