Rose hip inhibits chemotaxis and chemiluminescence of human peripheral blood neutrophils in vitro and reduces certain inflammatory parameters in vivo
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Objective and Design
The objective of this study was to investigate the leucocyte-related antiinflammatory properties of rose hip. Materials and Methods: The effect of rose hip on a number of inflammatory parameters was evaluated using the following models: (1) The effect of rose hip extract on chemotaxis and chemiluminescence of peripheral blood polymorphonuclear leucocytes (PMNs) from healthy subjects in vitro; (2) The effect of rose hip administered to healthy subjects on serum levels of creatinine and C-reactive protein and on chemotaxis and chemiluminescence of peripheral blood PMNs. Results: Rose hip extract at concentrations higher than 500 μg/m1 inhibited the chemotaxis and chemiluminescence of peripheral blood polymorphonuclear leucocytes in vitro. Daily intake of rose hip powder at doses of 45 grams or lower by healthy subjects resulted in reduced chemotaxis of peripheral blood PMNs and reduced the level of serum creatinine and acute phase protein CRP.
These results indicate that rose hip possesses antiinflammatory properties and might be used as a replacement or supplement for conventional drug therapies in some inflammatory diseases such as arthritis.
- Harris, Jr., E. D. (1988). Pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis: A disorder associated with dysfunc- tional immunoregulation. In: Inflammation. Basic Principles and Clinical Correlates, Gallin, J. H., Goldstein, I. M. and Snyderman, R. (Eds), pp. 751–773. Raven Press, New York.
- Hochberger, M. C., Airman, R. D., Brandt, K. D., Clarck, B. M., Dieppe, P. A., Griffin, M. R., Moskowitz, R. W. and Schnitzer, T. J. (1995). Guidelines for the medical management of osteoarthritis (Part I), Arthritis Rheum. 38, 1535–1540. CrossRef
- Hochberger, M. C., Altman, R. D., Brandt, K. D., Clarck, B. M., Dieppe, P. A., Griffin, M. R., Moskowitz, R. W. and Schnitzer, T. J. (1995). Guidelines for the medical management of oseteoarthritis (Part 2), Arthritis Rheum. 38, 1541–1546. CrossRef
- Jensen, P. and Kharazmi, A. (1991). Computer-assisted image analysis assay of human neutrophil chemotaxis in vitro, J. Immunol. Methods 144, 43–48. CrossRef
- Kaplan, H. B., Edelson, H. S., Korchak, H. M., Given, W. P., Abramson, S. and Weismann, G. (1984). Effect of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents on human neutrophil functions in vitro and in vivo, Biochem. Pharmacol. 33, 371–378. CrossRef
- Kemp, A. and Smith, J. (1982). The effect of salicylate on human leukocyte migration, Clin. Exp. Immunol. 49, 233–238.
- Kharazmi, A., Høiby, N., Döring, G. and Valerius, N. H. (1986). Pseudomonas aeruginosa exopro- teases inhibit human neutrophil chemiluminescence, Infect. Immun. 44, 587–591.
- Maderazo, E. G., Breaux, S. P. and Woronick, C. L. (1986). Inhibition of human polymorphonuclear leukocyte cell response by ibuprofen, J. Pharm. Sci. 73, 1403–1406. CrossRef
- Matzner, Y., Drexler, R. and Levy, M. (1984). Effect of dipyrone, acetylsalicylic acid and acetaminophen on human neutrophil chemotaxis, Eur. J. Clin. Invest. 14, 440–443. CrossRef
- Ridker, P. M., Cushman, M., Stampfer, M. J., Tracey, R. P. and Hennekens, C. H. (1997). Inflammation, aspirin and the risk of cardiovascular diseases in apparently healthy men, N. Eng. J. Med. 336, 973–979. CrossRef
- Rivkin, I., Foschi, V. and Rosen, C. H. (1976). Inhibition of in vitro neutrophil chemotaxis and spontaneous motility by anti-inflammatory agents (39518), Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 153, 236–240.
- Winther, K., Rein, E. and Kharazmi, A. (1999). The anti-inflammatory properties of rose-hip, Inflammopharmacol. 7, 63–68.
- Rose hip inhibits chemotaxis and chemiluminescence of human peripheral blood neutrophils in vitro and reduces certain inflammatory parameters in vivo
Volume 7, Issue 4 , pp 377-386
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Rose hip
- Rosa canina
- Industry Sectors