Influence of Gaussian Beam on Terahertz Radar Cross Section of a Conducting Sphere
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In RCS estimation, usually a plane wave is assumed; while in real measurements at terahertz frequencies, generally a Gaussian beam or a similar beam source is adopted. In this paper, the RCS of a conducting sphere is discussed under the condition that the incident wave is a Gaussian beam. In the estimation, the influence of 2.52 THz collimated laser beam on RCS is discussed and the RCS changing with scattering angle and some other factors is obtained; at the same time, the comparisons between different incident beams, plane wave and Gaussian beam, are also given. The estimation results show that choosing a beam width of 40 mm is appropriate when the sphere radius is 10 mm and the distance between the sphere and the beam source is 1 m.
- Albert Redo-Sanchez, and Xi-Cheng Zhang, “Terahertz Science and Technology Trends,” IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quant. Elect., 14, 260-269 (2008). CrossRef
- Krzysztof Iwaszczuk, Henning Heiselberg, Peter Uhd Jepsen. “Terahertz Radar Cross Section Measurements,” Optics Express, 18(25), 26399~26408(2010). CrossRef
- M. A. Salhi, I. Pupeza, and Martin Koch. “Confocal THz Laser Microscope,” J. Infrared Milli Terahz Waves, 31(3), 358~366(2010).
- E. Pickwell, and V. P. Wallace, “Biomedical Applications of Terahertz Technology,” J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., 39, R301-R310 (2006) CrossRef
- C. Jansen, N. Krumbholz, R. Geisb et al.. “Alignment and Illumination Issues in Scaled THz RCS Measurements,” 34th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, IRMMW-THz (2009).
- Haruo Sakurai, Makoto Ohki, Kuniyuki Motojima et al.. “Scattering of Gaussian Beam from a Hemispherical Boss on a Conducting Plane,” IEEE Trans. Antennas Propaga., 52(3):892~894(2004). CrossRef
- Hyo J. Eom, Gui Y. Hur, Tah J. Park et al.. “Gaussian Beam Scattering from a Semicircular Boss above a Conducting Plane,”G. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propaga., 41(1):106~108(1993). CrossRef
- W. C. Tasi and R. J. Pogorzelski. “Eigenfunction Solution of the Scattering of Beam Radiation Fields by Spherical Objects,” Opt. Soc. Am., 65(12): 1457~1463 (1975). CrossRef
- W. G. Tam and R. Corriveau. “Scattering of Electromagnetic Beam by Spherical Object,” J. Opt. Soc. Am., 68(6):763~767(1978). CrossRef
- Eugene F. Knott. “Radar Handbook: Chapter 14 Radar Cross Section,” The McGraw-Hill Companies, (2008).
- Influence of Gaussian Beam on Terahertz Radar Cross Section of a Conducting Sphere
Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves
Volume 34, Issue 1 , pp 88-96
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Radar Cross Section (RCS)
- Gaussian beam
- Perfect conductor
- Industry Sectors