High Frequency Methods for Simulation of High Resolution Imaging in Terahertz Regime
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
High resolution imaging in the terahertz (THz) frequency range is investigated theoretically in this paper through the use of the high frequency methods in computational electromagnetics (CEM). Physical optics (PO), shooting and bouncing ray (SBR) and truncated-wedge incremental length diffraction coefficients (TW-ILDCs) methods are combined together to compute the scattered fields, which are then used to construct the inverse synthetic aperture radar (ISAR) images through two dimensional fast Fourier transform (2D-FFT). The corresponding ISAR images clearly show that high range and bearing resolution can be easily realized for THz carrier waves with broad bandwidth.
- Siegel, PH (2002) Terahertz technology. IEEE Trans. Microwave Theor. Tech. 50: pp. 910-928 CrossRef
- Ferguson, B, Zhang, XC (2002) Materials for terahertz science and technology. Nat. Mater. 1: pp. 254801 CrossRef
- Federici, JF, Schulkin, B, Huang, F, Gary, D, Barat, R, Oliveira, F, Zimdars, D (2005) THz imaging and sensing for security applications-explosives, weapons and drugs. Semicond. Sci. Technol 20: pp. S266-S280 CrossRef
- Beard, MC, Turner, GM, Schmuttenmaer, CA (2002) Terahertz Spectroscopy. J. Phys. Chem. B 106: pp. 7146-7159 CrossRef
- Chen, HT, Kersting, R, Cho, GC (2003) Terahertz imaging with nanometer resolution. Appl. Phys. Lett. 83: pp. 3009-3011 CrossRef
- Hu, BB, Nuss, MC (1995) Imaging with terahertz waves. Opt. Lett. 20: pp. 1716-1718 CrossRef
- Han, PY, Cho, GC, Zhang, XC (2000) Time-domain transillumination of biological tissues with terahertz pulses. Opt. Lett. 250: pp. 242-244 CrossRef
- Hunsche, S, Koch, M, Brener, I, Nuss, MC (1998) THz near-field imaging. Opt. Commun. 150: pp. 22-26 CrossRef
- Mitrofanov, O, Lee, M, Hsu, JWP, Brener, I, Harel, R, Federici, JF, Wynn, JD, Pfeifer, LN, West, KW (2001) Collection-Mode Near-Field Imaging With 0.5-THz Pulses. IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron 7: pp. 600-607
- Chen, Q, Jiang, Z, Xu, GX, Zhang, XC (2000) Near-field terahertz imaging with a dynamic aperture. Opt. Lett. 25: pp. 1122-1124 CrossRef
- Valk, NCJ, Planken, PCM (2002) Electro-optic detection of subwavelength terahertz spot sizes in the near field of a metal tip. Appl. Phys. Lett. 81: pp. 1558-1560 CrossRef
- Song, JM, Lu, CC, Chew, WC (1997) Multilevel fast multipole algorithm for electromagnetic scattering by large complex objects. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 45: pp. 1488-1493 CrossRef
- G. D. Martinis, T. Goyette, M. Coulombe, and J. Waldman, “A 1.56 THz Spot Scanning Radar Range for Fully Polarimetric W-Band Scale Model Measurements,” Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Symposium of the Antenna and Propagation, 2000.
- J. F. Zhang and T. J. Cui, “Subtle detection of target profiles using submillimeter waves,” 2006 Joint 31st International Conference on Infrared and Millimeter Waves and 14th International Conference on Terahertz Electronics, Shanghai, China, Sept. 18–22, 2006, p. 16.
- J. Waldman, H. R. Fetterman, P. E. Duffy, T. G. Bryant, and P. E. Tannenwald, “Submillimeter model measurements and their applications to millimeter radar systems,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Infrared Near-Millimeter Waves, Dec. 1979, pp. 49¨C50.
- M. J. Coulombe, T. Horgan, J. Waldman, G. Szatkowski, and W. Nixon, “A 524 GHz polarimetric compact range for scale model RCS measurements,” in Proceedings of Antenna Measurements and Techniques Association, Monterey, CA, Oct. 1999.
- Babič, VM, Buldyrev, VS, Kuester, EF (1991) Short-wavelength diffraction theory: asymptotic methods. Springer, Berlin
- Ling, H, Chou, RC, Lee, SW (1989) Shooting and bouncing rays: calculating the RCS of an arbitrarily shaped cavity. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 37: pp. 194-205 CrossRef
- Johansen, PM (1996) Uniform Physical Theory of Diffraction Equivalent Edge Current for Truncated Wedge Strips. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 44: pp. 989-995 CrossRef
- Shore, RA, Yaghjian, AD (2001) Shadow boundary incremental length diffraction coefficients applied to scattering from 3-D bodies. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 40: pp. 200-210 CrossRef
- J. G. Moore, A. D. Yaghjian, and R. A. Shore, “Shadow Boundary and Truncated Wedge ILDCs in Xpatch,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2005.
- M. L. Hastriter, “A study of MLFMA for large-scale scattering problems,” Ph.D. Thesis of University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003.
- Li, Z, Cui, TJ, Zhong, XJ, Tao, YB, Lin, H (2009) Electromagnetic Scattering Characteristics of PEC Targets in Terahertz Regime. IEEE Antennas Propag. Magazine 51: pp. 39-50
- High Frequency Methods for Simulation of High Resolution Imaging in Terahertz Regime
Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves
Volume 31, Issue 3 , pp 349-357
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- THz imaging
- High frequency method
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Information Science and Technology, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Nanjing, 210016, People’s Republic of China
- 2. State Key Laboratory of Millimeter Waves, Southeast University, Nanjing, 210096, People’s Republic of China