Semi-Analytical Calculation of Terahertz Signal Generated from Photocurrent Radiation in Traveling-Wave Photonic Mixers
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A semi-analytical method based on distributed source transmission line model is proposed to analyze a traveling-wave terahertz photomixer integrated with a coplanar stripline waveguide. Multilayer spectral domain method along with complex image technique have been applied to calculate the distributed voltage source element in the transmission line representation. To find the coupled terahertz signal along the coplanar stripline, the transmission line equations are solved. The results obtained from the proposed method are verified by the full wave analysis.
- M. Nagel, M. Först, and H. Kurz, “THz biosensing devices: fundamentals and technology,” J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 18, 601–618 (2006). CrossRef
- S. M. Kim, F. Hatami, and J. S. Harris, “Biomedical terahertz imaging with a quantum cascade laser,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 88, 153903 (2006). CrossRef
- P. F. Taday, “Applications of terahertz spectroscopy to pharmaceutical sciences,” Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A 362(1815), 351–364 (2004).
- N. Karpowicz, H. Zhong, C. Zhang, K.-I. Lin, J.-S. Hwang, J. Xu, et al., “Compact continuous-wave subterahertz system for inspection applications,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 86(5), 54, 105–3 (2005). CrossRef
- R. Piesiewicz, J. Jemaia, M. Kochb, and T. Kürnera, THz channel characterization for future wireless gigabit indoor communication systems, in The Proceedings of SPIE Conference, 2005 vol. 5727, pp. 166–176.
- E. A. Michael, “Travelling-wave photonic mixers for increased continuous-wave power beyond 1 THz,” Semicond. Sci. Technol. 20, 164–177 (2005).
- M. C. Teich, “Field-theoretical treatment of photomixing,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 14(6), 201–203 (1969). CrossRef
- I. S. Gregory, C. Baker, W. R. Tribe, I. V. Bradley, M. J. Evans, E. H. Linfield, et al., “Optimization of photomixers and antennas for continuous-wave terahertz emission,” IEEE J. Quantum Elec. 41(5), 717–728 (2005). CrossRef
- D. Saeedkia and S. Safavi-Naeini, “A comprehensive model for photomixing in ultrafast photoconductors,” IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett. 18(13), 1457–1459 (2006). CrossRef
- D. Saeedkia, R. R. Mansour, and S. Safavi-Naeini, “Modeling and analysis of high-temperature superconductor terahertz photomixers,” IEEE Trans. Appl. Superconduct. 15(3), 3847–3855 (2005).
- S. Verghese, K. A. McIntosh, S. Calawa, W. F. Dinatale, E. K. Duerr, and K. A. Molvar, “Generation and detection of coherent terahertz waves using two photomixers,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 73(26), 3824–3826 (1998). CrossRef
- D. Saeedkia, S. Safavi-Naeini, and R. R. Mansour, “The intraction of laser and photoconductor in a continuous-wave terahertz photomixer,” IEEE J. Quantum Elec. 41(9), 1188–1196 (2005). CrossRef
- S. Ichikawa, “Analysis of transmission lines with distributed sources,” Electron. & Commun. Jpn. (Part I: Commun.) 69(2), 57–65 (1986). CrossRef
- F. Mesa, C. Di Nallo, and D. R. Jackson, “The theory of surface-wave and space-wave leaky-mode excitation on microstrip lines,” IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech. 47(2), 207–215 (1999). CrossRef
- D. Pasqualini, A. Neto, and R. A. Wyss, “Distributed sources on coplanar waveguides: application to photomixers for THz local oscillators,” Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett. 33(6), 430–435 (2002). CrossRef
- D. Saeedkia and S. Safavi-Naeini, “Modeling and analysis of a multilayer dielectric slab waveguide with applications in edge-coupled terahertz photomixer sources,” J. Lightwave Technol. 25(1), 432–439 (2007). CrossRef
- P. Bernardi and R. Cicchetti, “Response of a planar microstrip line excited by an external electromagnetic field,” IEEE Trans. Electromag. Compat. 32(2), 98–105 (1990). CrossRef
- L. B. Felsen and N. Marcuvitz, Radiation and Scattering of Waves (IEEE Press, 1994).
- M. I. Aksun and R. Mittra, “Derivation of closed-form Green’s functions for a general microstrip geometry,” IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech. 40(11), 2055–2062 (1992). CrossRef
- N. Hojjat, S. Safavi-Naeini, and Y. L. Chow, “Numerical computation of complex image Green’s functions for multilayer dielectric media: near-field zone and the interface region,” IEE Proc.-Microw. Antennas Propag. 145(6), 449–454 (1998). CrossRef
- W. C. Chew, Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media (Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1990).
- HFSS 10.1, Ansoft Corporation, http://www.ansoft.com.
- R. E. Collin, Field Theory of Guided Waves, 2nd Ed. (IEEE Press, 1990).
- S. Matsuura, G. A. Blake, R. A. Wyss, J. C. Pearson, C. Kadow, A. W. Jackson, et al., “A traveling-wave THz photomixer based on angle-tuned phase matching,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 74(19), 2872–2874 (1999). CrossRef
- Semi-Analytical Calculation of Terahertz Signal Generated from Photocurrent Radiation in Traveling-Wave Photonic Mixers
International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves
Volume 29, Issue 9 , pp 809-822
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Coplanar stripline
- Distributed source
- Green’s function
- Photonic mixer
- Industry Sectors