Coherent Generation and Detection of Continuous Terahertz Waves Using Two Photomixers Driven by Laser Diodes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We report on a completely coherent, tunable, continuous-wave THz system where, for the first-time, both the transmitter and receiver are log-periodic-antenna coupled LTG-GaAs based finger-photomixers. This compact room-temperature system exhibits signal-to-noise ratios (> 103) comparable to or better than what is reported in the literature, and has potential applications in high-resolution spectroscopy and imaging. For the purpose of demonstration, we also present results of spectroscopy measurements carried out on fused silica, which are in agreement with previously published THz-TDS measurements.
-  R. Mendis, C. Sydlo, J. Sigmund, M. Feiginov, P. Meissner, and H. L. Hartnagel, “Tunable CW-THz system with a log-periodic photoconductive emitter”, Solid-State Electronics, vol. 48, 2004, 2041–2045.
-  R. A. Cheville and D. Grischkowsky, “Far-infrared terahertz time-domain spectroscopy of flames”, Opt. Lett., vol. 20, 1995, 1646–1648.
-  S. Verghese, K. A. McIntosh, S. Calawa, W. F. Dinatale, E. K. Duerr, and K. A. Molvar, “Generation and detection of coherent terahertz waves using two photomixers”, Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 73, 1998, 3824–3826.
-  L. Duvillaret, F. Garet, and J. L. Coutaz, “A reliable method for extraction of material parameters in terahertz time-domain spectroscopy”, IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quant. Electron., vol. 2, 1996, 739–746.
-  K. J. Siebert, H. Quast, R. Leonhardt, T. Löffler, M. Thomson, T. Bauer, H. G. Roskos, and S. Czasch, “Continuous-wave all-optoelectronic terahertz imaging”, Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 80, 2002, 3003–3005.
-  M. M. Gitin, F. W. Wise, G. Arjavalingam, Y. Pastol, and R. C. Compton, “Broad-band characterization of millimeter-wave log-periodic antennas by photoconductive sampling”, IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., vol. 42, 1994, 335–339.
-  D. Grischkowsky, S. Keiding, M. van Exter, and Ch. Fattinger, “Far-infrared time-domain spectroscopy with terahertz beams of dielectrics and semiconductors”, J. Opt. Soc. Am., vol. 7, 1990, 2006–2014. CrossRef
-  S. Arscott, F. Garet, P. Mounaix, L. Duvillaret, J. L. Coutaz, and D. Lippens, “Terahertz time-domain spectroscopy of films fabricated from SU-8”, Electron. Lett., vol. 35, 1999, 243–244.
- Coherent Generation and Detection of Continuous Terahertz Waves Using Two Photomixers Driven by Laser Diodes
International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves
Volume 26, Issue 2 , pp 201-207
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- log-periodic antenna
- Industry Sectors