The Icarians and Their Neighbors
- Steve Wiegenstein
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This chapter examines the relationships between the mostly French Icarian communists of Illinois, Missouri, and Iowa, and the Midwest communities among which they settled. It gives a thumbnail sketch of the Icarian history in America and then focuses on how the French-speaking, communist Icarians interacted with the English-speaking individualist societies around them in their different localities.
- Garno, D. M. (1998). Gendered Utopia: Women in the Icarian Experience, 1840–1898, Master's thesis, Wayne State University, Detroit.
- Gauthier, P. (1992). Quest for Utopia, Gauthier Publishing Company, Corning, Iowa.
- Hine, R. V. (1966). California's Utopian Colonies, Yale University Press, New Haven, Connecticut.
- La Jeune Icarie : Organe de la Communaute Icarienne (1879), August 3, pp. 1–2.
- Magraw, R. (1986). France 1815–1914: The Bourgeois Century, Oxford University Press, New York and Oxford.
- New York Tribune (1870), January 29, p. 1.
- Posadas, B. M., and Covey, W. B. (1985). Hancock County's Cambre House: a rare survivor of Icarian community. Historic Illinois 7(5): 6, 7, 14.
- Prudhommeux, J. (1907). Icarie et son fondateur Étienne Cabet. contribution à l’étude de socialisme experimental, Édouard Cornély et Companie, Paris.
- Rancière, J. (1987). Why did the Icarians leave France? In Snyder, L. M., and Sutton, R. P. (eds.), Immigration of the Icarians to Illinois: Proceedings of the Icarian Weekend in Nauvoo, Yeast Printing Inc., Macomb, IL, pp. 6–16.
- Ross, M. M. (1986). Child of Icaria, Gauthier Publishing Company, Corning, IA.
- Snyder, L. (1983). Family life in the Icarian colony. International Journal of Sociology of the Family 13: 83–95.
- Sutton, R. P. (1994). Les Icariens: The Utopian Dream in Europe and America, University of Illinois Press, Urbana and Chicago.
- Vallet, E. (1971). An Icarian Communist in Nauvoo, Illinois State Historical Society, Springfield.
- Van Loo, E. (1970). Utopia in Illinois. Illinois Libraries 52: 144–148.
- Warsaw [Ill.] Signal (1849). August 25, p. 1.
- The Icarians and Their Neighbors
International Journal of Historical Archaeology
Volume 10, Issue 3 , pp 283-289
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Communication, Culver-Stockton College, Canton, Missouri, 63435, USA