Curriculum Mapping in Higher Education: A Vehicle for Collaboration
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This qualitative study makes the case for the implementation of curriculum mapping, a procedure that creates a visual representation of curriculum based on real time information, as a way to increase collaboration and collegiality in higher education. Through the use of curriculum mapping, eleven faculty members in a western state university Teacher Licensure program aligned and revised the teacher education curriculum across a sequence of courses. An increase in collaboration and collegiality among faculty emerged as an unintended outcome as a result of participation in the project.
Kay Pippin Uchiyama
Jean L. Radin
- Barnes, L. L. B., Agago, M. O., & Coombs, W. T. (1998). Effects of job-related stress on faculty: Intention to leave academia. Research in Higher Education, 39(4), 457–469. CrossRef
- Damrosch, D. (1995). We scholars: Changing the culture of the university. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Dictionary.com (2007). Retrieved January 21, 2008, from http://www.dictionary.com
- Donald, J. (1997). Improving the environment for learning. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Fogg, P. (2006, September 29). Young Ph.D.’s say collegiality matters more than salary. The Chronicle of Higher Education, p. 1.
- Fullan, M. (2001). The new meaning of educational change (3rd ed.). New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Goodlad, J. I. (1984). A place called school: Prospects for the future. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Grossman, P., Wineburg, S., & Woolworth, S. (2001). Toward a theory of teacher community. Teachers College Record, 103(6), 942–1012. CrossRef
- Hall, G. E., & Hord, S. M. (2006). Implementing change: Patterns, principles, and potholes. Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon.
- Haworth, J., & Conrad, C. (1997). Emblems of quality in higher education. Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon.
- Jacobs, H. H. (1997). Mapping the big picture: Integrating curriculum and assessment K-12. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Jacobs, H. H. (2004). Getting results with curriculum mapping. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Kaplan, J. (Ed.). (1992). Familiar quotations: A collection of passages, phrases, and proverbs traced to their sources in ancient and modern literature (16th ed.). Boston, MA: Little, Brown and Company, p. 281.
- Lortie, D. C. (1975). Schoolteacher: A sociological study. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- Massy, W. F., & Wilger, A. K. (1994). Overcoming “hollowed” collegiality. Change, 26(4), 11–20.
- Miles, M. B., & Huberman, A. M. (1994). Qualitative data analysis: An expanded sourcebook (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.
- National Science Foundation. (2007). Grant Proposal Guide. Retrieved February 22, 2008, from www.nsf.gov/publications/
- Palmer, P. J. (1998). The courage to teach: Exploring the inner landscape of a teacher’s life. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Sarason, S. B. (1996). Revisiting the culture of the school and the problem of change. New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- ThinkExist.com (2008, April 1). Henry Ford quotes. Retrieved May 1, 2008, from http://en.thinkexist.com/quotes/Henry_Ford/
- Tierney, W. G. (1999). Faculty productivity and academic culture. In W. G. Tierney (Ed.), Faculty productivity: Facts, fictions, and issues (pp. 39–54). New York, NY: Falmer Press.
- Tierney, W. G., & Rhoads, R. A. (1994). Faculty socialization as a cultural process: A mirror of institutional commitment. ASHE-ERIC Higher Education Report No. 93-6. Washington, DC: The George Washington University School of Education and Human Development.
- Udelhofen, S. (2005). Keys to curriculum mapping: Strategies and tools to make it work. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.
- U.S. Department of Labor. (1991). What work requires of schools: A SCANS report for America 2000. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Labor.
- Van Patten, J. J. (2000). Higher education culture: Case studies for a new century. Lanham, NY: University Press of America, Inc.
- Curriculum Mapping in Higher Education: A Vehicle for Collaboration
Innovative Higher Education
Volume 33, Issue 4 , pp 271-280
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- curriculum mapping
- higher education