Strategic costs and preferences revelation in the allocation of resources for health care
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This article examines the resources allocation process in the internal market for health care in an environment characterised by asymmetry of information. We analyse the strategic behaviour of the provider and show how, by misreporting its cost function and reservation utility, it might shift the allocation of resources away from the purchaser’s objectives. Although the fundamental importance of equity, efficiency and risk aversion considerations which have been the traditional focus of the literature on allocation of resources should not be denied, this paper shows that contracts and internal markets are not neutral instruments and more research should be devoted to studying their effects.
- Baron D. P., Myerson R. B. (1982) Regulating a monopolist with unknown costs. Econometrica 50(4): 911–930 CrossRef
- Chalkley M., Malcomson J. H. (2002) Cost sharing in health service provision: An empirical assessment of cost saving. Journal of Health Economics 84: 219–249
- Delfgaauw J., Dur R. (2007) Signalling and screening of workers’ motivation. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 62(4): 605–624 CrossRef
- Delfgaauw J., Dur R. (2008) Incentives and workers’ motivation in the public sector. Economic Journal 118(525): 171–191
- Francois P. (2000) Public service motivation as an argument for government provision. Journal of Public Economics 78: 275–299 CrossRef
- Glazer A. (2004) Motivating devoted workers. International Journal of Industrial Economics 22: 427–440
- Gouveia M. (1997) Majority rule and the public provision of a private good. Public Choice 1: 1–24
- Gravelle H. (1999) Capitation contracts: Access and quality. Journal of Health Economics 18(3): 315–340 CrossRef
- Hoel M. (2003) Allocating health care resources when people are risk averse with respect to life time. Health Economics 12(7): 601–608 CrossRef
- Jack W. (2005) Purchasing health care services from providers with unknown altruism. Journal of Health Economics 24(1): 73–93 CrossRef
- Kreps D. M. (1997) Intrinsic motivation and extrinsic incentives. The American Economic Review 87(2): 359–364
- Laffont J. J., Tirole J. (1993) A theory of incentives in procurement and regulation. The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA
- Levaggi R. (2005) Hospital health care: Cost reimbursement and quality control in a spatial model with asymmetry of information. International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics 5(4): 327–349 CrossRef
- Levaggi R. (2007) Internal markets for hospital care: Cost and quality control in a spatial competition model. Journal of Regulatory Economics 32(2): 173–193 CrossRef
- Levaggi, L., & Levaggi, R. (2009). Regulation strategies for public service provision. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=932071.
- Levaggi, L., & Levaggi, R. (2010). Welfare properties of restrictions to health care based on cost effectiveness. Health Economics. http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/123192647/abstract.
- Levaggi R., Moretto M. (2008) Investment in hospital care technology under different purchasing rules: A real option approach. Bulletin of Economic Research 60(2): 159–173 CrossRef
- Macinko J., Starfield B. (2002) Annotated bibiliography on equity in health. International Journal on Equity in Health I: 1–20 CrossRef
- McGuire, T. (2000). Physician agency (Vol. 1, Chap. 9, pp. 461–536.). Elsevier Science.
- Phuong B., Crainich D., Eeckhoudt L. (2005) Allocating health care resources under risk: Risk aversion and prudence matter. Health Economics 14(10): 1073–1077 CrossRef
- Scott, A. (2000). The Economics of general practice (Vol. 1B, Chap. 22, pp. 1175–1200). Amsterdam: Elsevier Science.
- Terry L. M. (2004) An integrated approach to resource allocation. Health-Care Analysis 17(2): 171–180 CrossRef
- Wagstaff A. (1991) QALYs and the equity-efficiency trade off. Journal of Health Economics 10: 21–41 CrossRef
- Williams A., Kind P. (1992) The present state of play about QUALYs. In: Hopkins A. (eds) Measures of the quality of life. Royal College of Physicians, London, pp 21–34
- Zweifel, P. (2004). Multiple payers in health care: A framework for assessment. HNP Discussion Paper, World Bank, New York. http://www.psp-one.com/content/resource/detail/2119/.
- Strategic costs and preferences revelation in the allocation of resources for health care
International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics
Volume 10, Issue 3 , pp 239-256
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Internal market
- Asymmetry of information
- Intrinsic motivation
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Science and Technology, Free University of Bozen, Universitätsplatz 5/Piazza Università 5, 39100, Bolzano, Italy
- 2. Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Università di Brescia, Via San Faustino, 74/B, 25122, Brescia, Italy