Interleukin-21 Polymorphism Affects Gene Expression and is Associated with Risk of Ischemic Stroke
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
There has been more and more evidence to confirm the essential role of inflammatory processes in the development of ischemic stroke. Interleukin-21 (IL-21), the most recently discovered CD132-dependent cytokine, plays a key role in regulating inflammation. The aim of the study was to understand the association between IL-21 polymorphisms and ischemic stroke, and the effects of these polymorphisms on gene expression. Two polymorphisms in IL-21, rs907715G/A and rs4833837A/G, were identified in 278 ischemic stroke patients and 282 healthy controls. Results showed that frequencies of rs907715GA and AA genotypes were significantly increased in cases than in controls (odd ratio (OR) = 1.49, 95 % confidence interval (CI): 1.01–2.14, P = 0.042; OR = 2.21, 95 % CI: 1.38–3.53, P = 0.001). Similarly, rs907715A allele revealed a positive association with the disease (OR = 1.52, P = 0.001). The rs4833837A/G polymorphism did not show any correlation with ischemic stroke. We further evaluated IL-21 messenger RNA (mRNA) and protein levels in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) from subjects carrying different polymorphism genotypes. Results revealed that subjects carrying polymorphic rs907715GA and AA genotypes had significantly higher IL-21 mRNA levels, whereas protein level was increased only in subjects with rs907715AA genotype. Serum level of IL-21 was also significantly elevated in subjects with rs907715AA genotype. These data suggest that IL-21 polymorphism is associated with increased susceptibility to ischemic stroke possibly by upregulating gene expression.
- Cenit, M.C., A. Marquez, M. Cordero-Coma, A. Fonollosa, A. Adan, A. Martinez-Berriotxoa, V. Llorenc, D. Diaz Valle, R. Blanco, J. Canal, M. Diaz-Llopis, J.L. Garcia Serrano, E. de Ramon, M.J. del Rio, M. Begona Gorrono-Echebarria, J.M. Martin-Villa, N. Ortego-Centeno, and J. Martin. 2013. Evaluation of the IL2/IL21, IL2RA and IL2RB genetic variants influence on the endogenous non-anterior uveitis genetic predisposition. BMC Medical Genetics 14: 52. CrossRef
- Chen, H., Liu, H., Wang, Y., Yang, Y., Zhao Y. 2014. Elevated serum IL-21 levels in hantavirus-infected patients correlate with the severity of the disease. Inflammation.
- Ding, L., S. Wang, G.M. Chen, R.X. Leng, H.F. Pan, and D.Q. Ye. 2012. A single nucleotide polymorphism of IL-21 gene is associated with systemic lupus erythematosus in a Chinese population. Inflammation 35: 1781–1785. CrossRef
- Ding, R., Gao, W., He, Z., Liao, M., Wu, F., Zou, S., Ma, L., Liang, C., Wu Z. 2014. Effect of serum interleukin 21 on the development of coronary artery disease. APMIS: Acta Pathologica, Microbiologica, et Immunologica Scandinavica.
- Fabrizi, M., Marchetti, V., Mavilio, M., Marino, A., Casagrande, V., Cavalera, M., Moreno Navarrete, J.M., Mezza, T., Sorice, G.P., Fiorentino, L., Menghini, R., Lauro, R., Monteleone, G., Giaccari, A., Fernandez Real, J.M., Federici, M. 2014. IL-21 is a major negative regulator of IRF4-dependent lipolysis affecting Tregs in adipose tissue and systemic insulin sensitivity. Diabetes.
- Falcone, G.J., R. Malik, M. Dichgans, and J. Rosand. 2014. Current concepts and clinical applications of stroke genetics. Lancet Neurology 13: 405–418. CrossRef
- Geurts, M., Macleod, M.R., van Thiel, G.J., van Gijn, J., Kappelle, L.J., van der Worp, H.B. 2014. End-of-life decisions in patients with severe acute brain injury. Lancet Neurology.
- Gong, F., Q. Su, Y.H. Pan, X. Huang, and W.H. Shen. 2013. The emerging role of interleukin-21 in allergic diseases (Review). Biomedical Reports 1: 837–839.
- Hejr, S., M.H. Karimi, R. Yaghobi, E. Kamali-Sarvestani, B. Geramizadeh, and J. Roozbeh. 2013. Association of IL-17, IL-21, and IL-23R gene polymorphisms with HBV infection in kidney transplant patients. Viral Immunology 26: 201–206. CrossRef
- Hughes, T., X. Kim-Howard, J.A. Kelly, K.M. Kaufman, C.D. Langefeld, J. Ziegler, E. Sanchez, R.P. Kimberly, J.C. Edberg, R. Ramsey-Goldman, M. Petri, J.D. Reveille, J. Martin, E.E. Brown, L.M. Vila, G.S. Alarcon, J.A. James, G.S. Gilkeson, K.L. Moser, P.M. Gaffney, J.T. Merrill, T.J. Vyse, M.E. Alarcon-Riquelme, S.K. Nath, J.B. Harley, and A.H. Sawalha. 2011. Fine-mapping and transethnic genotyping establish IL2/IL21 genetic association with lupus and localize this genetic effect to IL21. Arthritis and Rheumatism 63: 1689–1697. CrossRef
- Jia, H.Y., Z.G. Zhang, X.J. Gu, T. Guo, B. Cui, G. Ning, and Y.J. Zhao. 2011. Association between interleukin 21 and Graves’ disease. Genetics and Molecular Research: GMR 10: 3338–3346. CrossRef
- Khattar, M., Y. Miyahara, P.M. Schroder, A. Xie, W. Chen, and S.M. Stepkowski. 2014. Interleukin-21 is a critical regulator of CD4 and CD8 T cell survival during priming under Interleukin-2 deprivation conditions. PloS One 9: e85882. CrossRef
- Kratholm, S.K., M.B. Iversen, L. Reinert, S.K. Jensen, M. Hokland, T. Andersen, A. Rankin, D. Young, S. Frische, S.R. Paludan, and C.K. Holm. 2013. Interleukin-21 receptor signalling is important for innate immune protection against HSV-2 infections. PloS One 8: e81790. CrossRef
- Lan, Y., B. Luo, J.L. Wang, Y.W. Jiang, and Y.S. Wei. 2014. The association of interleukin-21 polymorphisms with interleukin-21 serum levels and risk of systemic lupus erythematosus. Gene 538: 94–98. CrossRef
- Lebailly, B., He, C., Rogner, U.C. 2014. Linking the circadian rhythm gene Arntl2 to interleukin 21 expression in type 1 diabetes. Diabetes.
- Lee, J., Shin, E.K., Lee, S.Y., Her, Y.M., Park, M.K., Kwok, S.K., Ju, J.H., Park, K.S., Kim, H.Y., Cho, M.L., Park, S.H. 2014. Estrogen upregulates IL-21 production by CD4+ T lymphocytes in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Immunology.
- Messaoudi, S., G.M. Al-Khateeb, M. Dendana, M.S. Sater, K.B. Jazia, M. Nouira, W.Y. Almawi, and T. Mahjoub. 2011. Genetic variations in the interleukin-21 gene and the risk of recurrent idiopathic spontaneous miscarriage. European Cytokine Network 22: 123–126.
- Palios, J., and I. Paraskevaidis. 2014. Thromboembolism prevention via transcatheter left atrial appendage closure with transeosophageal echocardiography guidance. Thrombosis 2014: 832752. CrossRef
- Wang, X., X. He, F. Zhao, J. Wang, H. Zhang, F. Shi, Y. Zhang, K. Cai, and J. Dou. 2014. Regulation gene expression of miR200c and ZEB1 positively enhances effect of tumor vaccine B16F10/GPI-IL-21 on inhibition of melanoma growth and metastasis. Journal of Translational Medicine 12: 68. CrossRef
- Xiao, F., H.Y. Zhang, Y.J. Liu, D. Zhao, Y.X. Shan, and Y.F. Jiang. 2013. Higher frequency of peripheral blood interleukin 21 positive follicular helper T cells in patients with ankylosing spondylitis. The Journal of Rheumatology 40: 2029–2037. CrossRef
- Zhang, J., W.X. Xiao, Y.F. Zhu, F.S. Muhali, L. Xiao, W.J. Jiang, X.H. Shi, L.H. Zhou, and J.A. Zhang. 2013. Polymorphisms of interleukin-21 and interleukin-21-receptor genes confer risk for autoimmune thyroid diseases. BMC Endocrine Disorders 13: 26. CrossRef
- Zhang, J., Zeng, H., Ren, M., Yan, H., Xu, M., Feng, Z., Liang, W., Yang, C., Cheng, H., Ding, H., Yan, L. 2013. Interleukin-21 is associated with disease activity in patients with Graves’ disease. Endocrine.
- Zhang, Y., J. Wang, M. Ren, M. Li, D. Chen, J. Chen, F. Shi, X. Wang, and J. Dou. 2014. Gene therapy of ovarian cancer using IL-21-secreting human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells in nude mice. Journal of Ovarian Research 7: 8. CrossRef
- Interleukin-21 Polymorphism Affects Gene Expression and is Associated with Risk of Ischemic Stroke
Volume 37, Issue 6 , pp 2030-2039
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- ischemic stroke
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Affiliated Bayi Brain Hospital, General Hospital of Beijing Military Command, Beijing, 100700, China
- 2. Department of Oncology, General Hospital of Shenyang Military Area Command, No. 83 Wenhua Road, Shenhe District, Shenyang, 110016, China