Anti-neutrophil Cytoplasmic Antibodies in New-onset Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and Lupus Nephritis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study aims to investigate the role of Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCA) in patients with new-onset systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Sixty SLE patients, 28 of whom had lupus nephritis (LN), and 60 normal controls were enrolled; Serum ANCA was measured by enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). The clinical and laboratory parameters of the patients were also recorded. Results show that twenty SLE patients were seropositive for ANCA, which was significantly higher than in normal controls. LN patients had significantly higher positive rate of ANCA than patients without nephritis. Compared with ANCA-negative patients, the ANCA-positive patients had significantly higher incidence of nerves system disorder, myocarditis, renal involvement and serositis. The positive rate of γ-globulin, anti-dsDNA and anti-Sm antibodies were significantly higher in ANCA-positive patients. Elevated IgG and ESR, decreased serum C3/C4 appeared more often in ANCA-positive patients. In addition, serum ANCA level correlated positively with disease activity. Taken together, ANCA might be used as a potential complementary parameter to differentiate LN from SLE without nephritis. In addition, ANCA may serve as a useful marker of the disease activity of SLE.
- Davies, D. J., J. E. Moran, J. F. Niall, and G. B. Ryan. 1982. Segmental necrotising glomerulonephritis with antineutrophil antibody: possible arbovirus aetiology? Br. Med. J. 285(6342):606. CrossRef
- Savige, J. A., D. J. Davies, and P. A. Gatenby. 1994. Anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCA): their detection and significance: report from workshops. Pathology. 26(2):186–193. CrossRef
- Ardiles, L. G., G. Valderrama, P. Moya, and S. A. Mezzano. 1997. Incidence and studies on antigenic specificities of antineutrophil-cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCA) in poststreptococcal glomerulonephritis. Clin. Nephrol. 47(1):1–15.
- Jennette, J. C., R. J. Falk, K. Andrassy, P. A. Bacon, J. Churg, W. L. Gross, E. C. Hagen, G. S. Hoffman, G. G. Hunder, C. G. Kallenberg et al. 1994. Nomenclature of systemic vasculitides. Proposal of an international consensus conference. Arthritis Rheum. 37(2):187–192. CrossRef
- Drenkard, C., A. R. Villa, E. Reyes, M. Abello, and D. Alarcón-Segovia. 1997. Vasculitis in systemic lupus erythematosus. Lupus 6(3):235–242. CrossRef
- Pradhan, V. D., S. S. Badakere, L. S. Bichile, and A. F. Almeida. 2004. Anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCA) in systemic lupus erythematosus: prevalence, clinical associations and correlation with other autoantibodies. J. Assoc. Phys. India 52:533–537.
- Tang, Z., Y. Wu, Q. Wang, C. Zeng, X. Yao, W. Hu, H. Chen, Z. Liu, and L. Li. 2003. Clinical spectrum of diffuse crescentic glomerulonephritis in Chinese patients. Chin. Med. J. (Engl) 116(11):1737–1740.
- Fauzi, A. R., N. C. Kong, M. K. Chua, V. Jeyabalan, M. N. Idris, and R. Azizah. 2004. Antibodies in systemic lupus antineutrophil cytoplasmic erythematosus: prevalence, disease activity correlations and organ system associations. Med. J. Malaysia 59(3):372–377.
- Molnár, K., L. Kovács, M. Kiss, S. Husz, A. Dobozy, and G. Pokorny. 2002. Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Clin. Exp. Dermatol. 27(1):59–61. CrossRef
- Lee, S. S., J. W. Lawton, C. E. Chan, C. S. Li, T. H. Kwan, and K. F. Chau. 1992. Antilactoferrin antibody in systemic lupus erythematosus. Br. J. Rheumatol. 31(10):669–673. CrossRef
- Ecklund, S. R., G. S. Saluta, C. A. Agudelo, and E. J. Pisko. 1992. Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies: clinical characteristics of 10 patients with the perinuclear pattern of immunofluorescence on ANCA testing. South Med. J. 85(2):132–138.
- Kuster, S., S. Apenberg, K. Andrassy, and E. Ritz. 1992. Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies in systemic lupus erythematosus. Contrib. Nephrol. 99:94–98.
- Pauzner, R., M. Urowitz, D. Gladman, and J. Gough. 1994. Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies in systemic lupus erythematosus. J. Rheumatol. 21(9):1670–1673.
- Chin, H. J., C. Ahn, C. S. Lim, H. K. Chung, J. G. Lee, Y. W. Song, H. S. Lee, J. S. Han, S. Kim, and J. S. Lee. 2000. Clinical implications of antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody test in lupus nephritis. Am. J. Nephrol. 20(1):57–63. CrossRef
- Tan, E. M., A. S. Cohen, J. F. Fries, A. T. Masi, D. J. McShane, N. F. Rothfield, J. G. Schaller, N. Talal, and R. J. Winchester. 1982. The 1982 revised criteria for the classification of systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum. 25(11):1271–1277. CrossRef
- Bombardier, C., D. D. Gladman, M. B. Urowitz, D. Caron, and C. H. Chang. 1992. Derivation of the SLEDAI. A disease activity index for lupus patients. The Committee on Prognosis Studies in SLE. Arthritis Rheum. 35(6):630–640. CrossRef
- Tamiya, H., K. Tani, J. Miyata, K. Sato, T. Urata, B. Lkhagvaa, S. Otsuka, S. Shigekiyo, and S. Sone. 2006. Defensins- and cathepsin G-ANCA in systemic lupus erythematosus. Rheumatol. Int. 27(2):147–152. CrossRef
- Anti-neutrophil Cytoplasmic Antibodies in New-onset Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and Lupus Nephritis
Volume 31, Issue 4 , pp 260-265
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- disease activity
- systemic lupus erythematosus
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Anhui Medical University, 81 Meishan Road, Hefei, Anhui, 230032, People’s Republic of China
- 4. Department of Pharmacology, Anhui Medical University, Hefei, China
- 2. Department of Rheumatology, Anhui Provincial Hospital, Hefei, China
- 3. Department of Rheumatology, First Affiliated Hospital, Anhui Medical University, Hefei, China