Date: 19 Nov 2012
The propagation and dispersal of misinformation in ecology: Is there a relationship between citation accuracy and journal impact factor?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Handling editor: Sidinei Magela Thomaz
- Anderson, MS, Ronning, EA, Vries, R, Martinson, BC (2007) The perverse effects of competition on scientists’ work and relationships. Science and Engineering Ethics 13: pp. 437-461 CrossRef
- Bergstrom, CT, Bergstrom, TC (2006) The economics of ecology journals. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 4: pp. 488-495 CrossRef
- Fanelli, D (2009) How many scientists fabricate and falsify research? A systematic review and meta-analysis of survey data. PLoS ONE 4: pp. e5738 CrossRef
- Fang, FC, Steen, RG, Casadevall, A (2012) Misconduct accounts for the majority of retracted scientific publications. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
- Harper, JA (2001) Citation inaccuracy in a scientific journal. A continuing issue. Science and Technology Libraries 20: pp. 39-44 CrossRef
- Hirsch, JE (2005) An index to quantify an individual’s scientific research output. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 102: pp. 16569-16572 CrossRef
- Lawrence, PA (2003) The politics of publication. Nature 422: pp. 259-261 CrossRef
- Lawrence, PA (2007) The mismeasurement of science. Current Biology 17: pp. 583-585 CrossRef
- Ramos, M. A., J. G. Melo & U. P. Albuquerque. 2012. Citation behaviour in popular scientific papers: what is behind obscure citations? The case of ethnobotany. Scientometrics. pp. 1–9, doi:10.1007/s11192-012-0662-4.
- Simkin, MV, Roychowdhury, VP (2003) Read before you cite!. Complex Systems 14: pp. 269-274
- Todd, PA, Ladle, RJ (2008) Hidden dangers of a ‘citation culture’. Ethics in Science and Environmental Politics 8: pp. 13-16 CrossRef
- Todd, PA, Yeo, DCJ, Li, D, Ladle, RJ (2007) Citing practices in ecology: can we believe our own words?. Oikos 116: pp. 1599-1601 CrossRef
- The propagation and dispersal of misinformation in ecology: Is there a relationship between citation accuracy and journal impact factor?
Volume 702, Issue 1 , pp 1-4
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Animal, Plant and Environmental Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, Private Bag 3, WITS 2050, Johannesburg, South Africa
- 2. Department of Conservation Ecology and Entomology, Stellenbosch University, Private Bag X1, Matieland, 7602, South Africa