Long-term variations in waterfowl populations in Loch Leven: identifying discontinuities between local and national trends
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Loch Leven has been designated as a UK Ramsar Site (1976), a Site of Special Scientific Interest (1985) and a Special Protection Area (2000) due to its importance as a site for overwintering waterfowl. However, no comprehensive assessment of trends in waterfowl at the local versus national scale has been conducted at the site. Coherence between trends in 5-year mean species abundance for Loch Leven and Underhill Indexing Method values for Scotland (or GB in the case of geese) were assessed using principal components analysis for ten study species between 1968 and 2006. Five species showed trends at Loch Leven that were coherent with those at the Scottish scale (Eurasian Teal, Mute Swan, Great Cormorant, Pink-footed and Greylag geese). These species may not respond positively to local scale management. However, the other five species (Mallard, Coot, Great Crested Grebe, Tufted Duck and Pochard) showed distinct differences between local and national trends. A study of the feeding ecology for these species, the re-establishment of ringing effort and an assessment of waterfowl–wetland relationships are recommended to determine how changes in local food resources and habitat quality interact with macro-scale population dynamics to influence local and regional patterns of abundance.
- Allison, A. & I. Newton, 1974. Waterfowl at Loch Leven, Kinross. Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh B 74: 365–381.
- Austin G.E., M. P. Collier & M. M. Rehfisch, 2008. 2007 Non-estuarine Coastal Waterbird Survey: population estimates and broad comparisons with previous surveys. British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) Research Report No. 501. BTO, Thetford.
- Bailey-Watts, A. E. & A. Kirika, 1999. Poor water quality in Loch Leven (Scotland) in 1995in spite of reduced phosphorus loadings since 1985: the influences of catchment management and inter-annual weather variation. Hydrobiologia 403: 135–151. CrossRef
- Boere, G. C., C. A. Galbraith & D. A. Stroud (eds), 2006. Waterbirds Around the World. The Stationery Office, Edinburgh.
- Bruun, B. & A. Singer, 1978. Guide to Birds of Britain and Europe. Hamlyn, London: 320 pp.
- Bucke, D., G. D. Cawley, J. F. Craig, A. D. Pickering & L. G. Willough, 2006. Further studies of an epizootic of perch Perca fluviatilis L. of uncertain aetiology. Journal of Fish Diseases 2: 297–311. CrossRef
- Burfield, I. & F. van Bommel (eds), 2004. Birds in Europe: population Estimates, Trends and Conservation Status. Bird Life International Conservation Series No. 12, Cambridge.
- Carss, D. N. & M. Marquiss, 1997. The diet of Cormorants Phalacrocorax carbo in Scottish freshwaters in relation to feeding habitats and fisheries. Ekologia Polska 45: 207–222.
- Carss, D. N. & M. Marzano, 2005. Reducing the conflict between cormorants and fisheries on a pan-European Scale (REDCAFE), Summary and National Overviews. Report to EU, Commissioned by DG XIV Directorate-General for Fisheries: 374 pp.
- Carss, D. N., R. M. Bevan, A. Bonetti, G. Cherubini, J. Davies, D. Doherty, A. El Hilli, M. J. Feltham, N. Grade, J. P. Granadeiro, D. Grémillet, J. Gromadzka, Y. N. R. A. Harari, T. Holden, T. Keller, G. Lariccia, R. Mantovani, T. M. McCarthy, M. Mellin, T. Menke, I. Mirowska-Ibron, W. Muller, P. Musil, T. Nazirides, W. Suter, J. F. G. Trauttmansdorff, S. Volponi & B. Wilson, 1997. Techniques for assessing cormorant diet and food intake: towards a consensus view. Proceedings IV European Conference on Cormorants. Supplemento alle Richerche di Biologia della Selvaggina XXVI: 197–230.
- Carvalho, L. & A. Kirika, 2003. Long-term patterns of change in physical, chemical and biological aspects of water quality at Loch Leven. Final report to Scottish Natural Heritage, Centre for Ecology and Hydrology: 41 pp.
- Carvalho, L., C. Ferguson, B. M. Spears, I. D. M. Gunn, H. Bennion, A. Kirika & L May, 2011. Water quality of Loch Leven: responses to enrichment, restoration and climate change. Hydrobiologia. doi:10.1007/s10750-011-0923-x.
- Cramp, S. & K. E. L. Simmons, 1977. Handbook of the Birds of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa: The Birds of the Western Palearctic, Vol. 1: ostrich to Ducks. Oxford University Press, Oxford: 722 pp.
- Cramp, S. & K. E. L. Simmons, 1979. The Birds of the Western Palearctic, Volume II: hawks to Bustards. Oxford University Press, Oxford: 695 pp.
- Dudley, B., I. D. M. Gunn, L. Carvalho, I. Proctor, M. T. O’Hare, K. J. Murphy & A. Milligan, 2011. Changes in aquatic macrophyte communities in Loch Leven – evidence of recovery from eutrophication? Hydrobiologia. doi:10.1007/s10750-011-0924-9.
- Favero, M. & P. H. Becker, 2006. Effects of the North Atlantic oscillation and El Niño southern oscillation on return rates, body mass and timing of migration of common terns Sterna hirundo breeding in Germany. In Boere, G. C., C. A. Galbraith & D. A. Stroud (eds), Waterbirds Around the World. The Stationery Office, Edinburgh.
- Ferguson, C. A., L. Carvalho, E. M. Scott, A. W. Bowman & A. Kirika, 2008. Assessing ecological responses to environmental change using statistical models. Journal of Applied Ecology 45: 193–203. CrossRef
- Finlayson, M., J. Lowry, M. Grazia Bellio, S. Nou, R. Pidgeon, D. Walden, C. Humphrey & G. Fox, 2006. Biodiversity of the wetlands of the Kakadu region, northern Australia. Aquatic Sciences 68: 374–399. CrossRef
- Forrester, R. & I. Andrews, 2007. The Birds of Scotland. Scottish Ornithologists’ Club: 1634 pp.
- Fox, A. D. & D. G. Salmon, 1988. Changes in non-breeding distribution and habitat of Pochard Aythya ferina in Britain. Biological Conservation 46: 303–316. CrossRef
- Gunn, I. D. M., M. T. O’Hare, P. S. Maitland & L. May, 2011. Trends in Loch Leven invertebrate communities. Hydrobiologia. doi:10.1007/s10750-011-0926-7.
- Hald-Mortensen, P., 1995. Danske Skarvers Fodevalg. 1992–1994. Skov-og Naturstyrelsen, Copenhagen.
- Hansson, L.-A., A. Nicolle, C. Brönmark, A. Hargeby, Å. Lindström & G. Andersson, 2010. Waterfowl, macrophytes, and the clear water state of shallow lakes. Hydrobiologia 646: 101–109. CrossRef
- Hargeby, A., G. Andersson, I. Blindow & S. Johansson, 1994. Trophic web structure in a shallow eutrophic lake during a dominance shift from phytoplankton to submerged macrophytes. Hydrobiologia 279(280): 83–90. CrossRef
- Kirby, J. S., D. G. Salmon, G. L. Atkinson-Willes & P. A. Cranswick, 1995. Index numbers for waterbird populations III. Long-term trends in abundance of wintering wildfowl in Great Britain, 1966/67–1991/2. Journal of Applied Ecology 32: 536–551. CrossRef
- Lauder, A., 2007 Trends in the breeding duck (Anatidae) populations at Loch Leven, Perth & Kinross, 1966–2004. Scottish Birds (2007): 55–63.
- May, L. & L. Carvalho, 2010. Maximum growing depth of macrophytes in Loch Leven, Scotland, United Kingdom, in relation to historical changes in estimated phosphorus loading. Hydrobiologia 646: 123–131. CrossRef
- May, L. & B. M. Spears, 2011. Managing ecosystem services at Loch Leven, Scotland, UK: actions, impacts and unintended consequences. Hydrobiologia. doi:10.1007/s10750-011-0931-x.
- May, L., L. H. Defew, H. Bennion & A. Kirika, 2011. Historical changes (1905–2005) in external phosphorus loads to Loch Leven, Scotland, UK. Hydrobiologia. doi:10.1007/s10750-011-0922-y.
- Owen, M., G. L. Atkinson-Willes & D. Salmon, 1986. Wildfowl in Great Britain. Cambridge.
- Perrow, M. R., J. Schutten, J. R. Howes, T. Holzer, F. J. Madgwick & A. J. D. Jowitt, 1997. Interactions between coot (Fulica atra) and submerged macrophytes: the role of birds in the restoration process. Hydrobiologia 342(343): 241–255. CrossRef
- Rehfisch, M. M., G. E. Austin, S. N. Freeman, M. J. S. Armitage & N. H. K. Burton, 2004. The possible impact of climate change on the future distributions and numbers of waders on Britain’s non-estuarine coast. IBIS 146: S70–S81. CrossRef
- Savard, J.-P. L., W. S. Boyd & G. E. J. Smith, 1994. Waterfowl–wetland relationships in the Aspen Parkland of British Columbia: comparison of analytical methods. Hydrobiologia 279(280): 309–325. CrossRef
- Scottish Natural Heritage, 2007. The Reserve Plan for Loch Leven National Nature Reserve, 2008–2015.
- Scottish Natural Heritage, 2009. Cormorants at Loch Leven: facts and figures [available on internet at http://www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/scottish/taysclack/cormorantff.pdf].
- Spears, B. M. & I. D. Jones, 2010. The long-term (1979–2005) effects of the North Atlantic oscillation on wind-induced wave mixing in Loch Leven (Scotland). Hydrobiologia 646: 49–59. CrossRef
- Spears, B. M., L. Carvalho, R. Perkins, A. Kirika & D. M. Paterson, 2011. Long-term variation and regulation of internal loading in Loch Leven. Hydrobiologia. doi:10.1007/s10750-011-0921-z.
- Stewart, B. & A. Lauder, 1997. Gizzard contents of Pochard, Tufted Duck and Goldeneye from Loch Leven, Kinross, in winter 1994–95. Scottish Birds 19: 28–35.
- Thom, V., 1986. Birds of Scotland. Scottish Ornithologists’ Club: 1600 pp.
- Underhill, L. G., 1989. Indices for waterbird populations. BTO Research Report 52. British Trust for Ornithology, Thetford.
- Underhill, L. G. & R. Prŷs-Jones, 1994. Index numbers for waterbird populations. I. Review and methodology. Journal of Applied Ecology 31: 463–480. CrossRef
- Van Eerden, E., H. Bos & L. van Hulst, 2007. In the mirror of a lake. Rijkswaterstaat centre for water management on behalf of regional directorate Ijsselmeergebied: 283 pp.
- Winfield, I. J., C. E. Adams, J. D. Armstrong, R. Gardiner, A. Kirika, J. Montgomery, B. M. Spears, D. C. Stewart, J. E. Thorpe & W. Wilson, 2011. Changes in the fish community of Loch Leven: untangling anthropogenic pressures. Hydrobiologia. doi:10.1007/s10750-011-0925-8.
- Long-term variations in waterfowl populations in Loch Leven: identifying discontinuities between local and national trends
Volume 681, Issue 1 , pp 85-104
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Loch Leven
- Trend comparison
- Local scale
- National scale
- Industry Sectors