Oxygen solubility in evaporated seawater as a function of temperature and salinity
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Most studies of oxygen solubility values for high salinity conditions have used synthetic solutions. The object of this study is therefore to propose an equation, valid for high salinity conditions, based on the analysis of oxygen saturation in evaporated seawater. In this study, the solubility of oxygen in evaporated seawater has been determined over a temperature range of 8–35°C and with salinity values of up to 133‰. Based on experimental data, an equation is proposed that introduces a S 2 (salinity) term, at 1 atm pressure, giving increased importance to salinity. The equation provides a valid means of predicting the amount of dissolved oxygen in this range of temperatures and salinities. In addition, for high salinity conditions, with this equation there is no need to extrapolate other established equations, which are less accurate at salinities higher than 40‰. The use of the proposed equation offers a more precise way of calculating oxygen solubility in seawater at high salinity values (up to 133‰), and small deviations from experimental values, of the order of 2 μmol kg−1, are obtained.
- Alcocer, J. & U. T. Hammer, 1998. Saline lake ecosystems of Mexico. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management 1: 291–315. CrossRef
- Benson, B. B. & D. Krause Jr., 1984. The concentration and isotopic fractionation of oxygen dissolved in freshwater and seawater in equilibrium with the atmosphere. Limnology and Oceanography 29: 620–632.
- Carpenter, J. H., 1966. New measurements of oxygen solubility in pure and natural water. Limnology and Oceanography 11: 264–277.
- Chen, C.-T. A., 1981. Oxygen solubilities up to 200 kPa. In IUPAC Solubility Data Ser., Oxygen and Ozone, Vol. 7. Pergamon, NY: 41–43.
- Clegg, S. L. & P. Brimblecombe, 1990. The solubility and activity coefficient of oxygen in salt solutions and brines. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 54: 3315–3328. CrossRef
- Cramer, S. D., 1980. The solubility of oxygen in Brines from 0 to 300°C. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Process Design and Development 19: 300–305. CrossRef
- Garcia, H. E. & L. I. Gordon, 1992. Oxygen solubility in seawater: better fitting equations. Limnology and Oceanography 37: 1307–1312.
- Grasshoff, K., M. Ehrhardt & K. Kremling, 1983. Methods of Seawater Analysis, 2nd, rev. and extended ed. Verlag-Chemie, Weihnheim (German).
- Green, E. J. & D. E. Carrit, 1966. An improved iodine determination flask for whole-bottle titrations. Analyst 91: 207–208. CrossRef
- Millero, F. J. & M. L. Sohn, 1992. In Millero, F. J. & M. L. Sohn (eds), Chemical Oceanography. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL: 531 pp.
- Millero, F. J., F. Huang & A. L. Laferiere, 2002. The solubility of oxygen in the major sea salts and their mixtures at 25°C. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 66: 2349–2359. CrossRef
- Murray, C. N. & J. P. Riley, 1969. The solubility of gases in distilled water and seawater. Oxygen Deep-Sea Research 16: 311–320. CrossRef
- Nishri, A. & S. Ben-Yaakov, 1990. Solubility of oxygen in Dead Sea brine. Hydrobiologia 197: 99–104. CrossRef
- Setschenow, J., 1899. Über die Konstitution de Salzlösungen auf Grund ihres Verhaltens zu Kohlensäure. The Journal of Physical Chemistry 4: 117–128.
- Sherwood, J. E., F. Stagnitti & M. J. Kokkinn, 1991. Dissolved oxygen concentrations in hypersaline waters. Limnology and Oceanography 36: 235–250. CrossRef
- Strickland, J. D. H. & T. R. Parsons, 1972. In Bulletin of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada, Practical Handbook of Seawater Analysis.
- Tariq, A. K., 2003. Limnology of four saline lakes in western Victoria, Australia: I. Physico-chemical parameters. Limnologica Ecology and Management of Inland Waters 33: 316–326. CrossRef
- Weiss, R. F., 1970. The solubility of nitrogen, oxygen and argon in water and sweater. Deep-Sea Research 17: 721–735.
- Weiss, R. F. & B. A. Price, 1989. Dead Sea gas solubilities. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 92: 7–10. CrossRef
- Winkler, L. W., 1888. Die bestimmung des im Wasser gelösten Sauerstoffes. Berichte der Deutschen Chemischen Gesellschaft 21: 2843–2855. CrossRef
- Oxygen solubility in evaporated seawater as a function of temperature and salinity
Volume 632, Issue 1 , pp 157-165
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Evaporated seawater
- Dissolved oxygen
- Gas solubility
- Industry Sectors