Impact of glass eel fishery on by-catch fish species: a quantitative assessment
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The present study evaluated the effect of the glass eel fishery on by-catch ichthyofauna in the Ebro River delta by investigating the primary responsible factors of discard mortality, in order to assess the adequacy of fishing and sorting procedures, and assess the ecological impact of this traditional activity. Results revealed that glass eel fishery had a negative impact on by-catch ichthyofauna mainly composed of mugilid fry and small-size estuarine species. Data showed that between 10 and 69% of incidental species died as a consequence of glass eel capture and sorting procedures. Differences in by-catch fish mortality rates depended on the glass eel sorting time, the total weight of catch, the discard ratio, by-catch fish size, and by-catch fish species composition. The total weight of the catch and the discard ratio were two of the main parameters affecting discarded fish mortality, since both had a direct effect on the period of time required for glass eel sorting during which by-catch fish were exposed to air and suffered from very aggressive sorting procedures that caused severe external and internal injuries. By-catch fish measuring less than 40 mm L T were more susceptible to glass eel fishery procedures than those larger (>60 mm L T), independent of the species considered or their stage of development. This fishery, similar to other ones, should strive to minimization the amount of discards and the mortality of discarded fish, by improving the selectivity of the fish trap and developing new sorting and selection procedures.
- Alverson, D. L., M. H. Freeberg, J. G. Pope & S. A. Murawski, 1994. A global assessment of fisheries bycatch and discards. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper. No. 339. FAO, Rome.
- American Fisheries Society, 1992. Investigation and valuation of fish kills. AFS Special Publication 24, AS. Bethesda, MD.
- Cardona, L., P. Royo & X. Torras, 2001. Effects of leaping grey mullet Liza saliens (Osteichthyes, Mugilidae) in the macrophyte beds of oligohaline Mediterranean coastal lagoons. Hydrobiologia 462: 233–240. CrossRef
- Castelnaud, G., 2002. Caractéristiques de la pêcherie civellière du golfe de Gascogne. Contrat européen n° 99/023. IFREMER, CEMAGREF, Groupement de Bordeaux, Bordeaux.
- Castelnaud, G., D. Guerault, Y. Desaunay & P. Elie, 1994. Yield and abundance of the glass eel (Anguilla anguilla L.) at the beginning of the nineties. Bulletin Français de la Pêche et de la Pisciculture 335: 263–287.
- Christensen, V., S. Guenette, J. J. Heymans, C. J. Esaters, R. Watson, D. Zeller & D. Pauly, 2003. Hundred-year decline of North Atlantic predatory fishes. Fish and Fisheries 4: 1–24. CrossRef
- Davis, M. W., 2002. Key principles for understanding fish bycatch discard mortality. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 59: 1834–1843. CrossRef
- Davis, M. W., 2005. Behaviour impairment in captured and released sablefish: ecological consequences and possible substitute measures for delayed discard mortality. Journal of Fish Biology 66: 245–265. CrossRef
- Davis, M. W., B. L. Olla & C. B. Schreck, 2001. Stress induced by hooking, net towing, elevated sea water temperature and air in sablefish: lack of concordance between mortality and physiological measures of stress. Journal of Fish Biology 58: 1–15. CrossRef
- Davis, M. W. & S. J. Parker, 2004. Fish size and exposure to air: potential effects on behavioural impairment and mortality rates in discarded fish. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 24: 518–524. CrossRef
- Dekker, W., 2002. Slipping through our hands, Population dynamics of the European eel. Doctoral Thesis, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam.
- Dekker, W., 2003. On the distribution of the European eel (Anguilla anguilla) and its fisheries. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 60: 787–799. CrossRef
- Dekker, W. (ed.), 2005. Report of the Workshop on National Data Collection for the European Eel, 6–8 September 2005, Sånga Säby, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Demestre, M., A. Roig, A. de Sostoa & F. J. de Sostoa, 1977. Contribution to the study of the continental ichthyofauna of the Ebre Delta (NE of Iberian Peninsula). Treballs de l’Institut Català d’Història Natural 8: 145–226.
- Doadrio, I. (ed.), 2002. Atlas y libro rojo de los peces continentales de España. Ministerio de Medio Ambiente, Madrid.
- EIFAC/ICES, 2003. Report of the Thirteenth Session of the Joint EIFAC/ICES Working Group on Eels. EIFAC Occasional Paper. No. 36. FAO, Rome.
- Fernández, V. & A. Pech, 2000. L’angula al delta de l’Ebre. Revista Catalunya Rural i Agrària 65: 22–23.
- Gisbert, E., L. Cardona & F. Castelló, 1995. Evidence of competition between Mediterranean mullet fry. Journal of Fish Biology 47: 414–420. CrossRef
- Guerault, D., Y. Desaunay, P. Bellois & P. Grellier, 1989. The Glass-eel Fishery in the Loire Estuary (1987): estimate of by-catches and effects on resources. EIFAC Working Party on Eel, Porto.
- MacDonald, D. S., J. G. Pope, N. Daanand & J. D. Reynolds, 1994. Impact of fishing on non-target species. Report to the Commission of the European Communities. MAFF Directorate of Fisheries, R.l.V.O and The University of East Anglia.
- Moriarty, C. & W. Dekker (eds.), 1997. Management of the European Eel. Fisheries Bulletin (Dublin) 15: 1–110.
- Pauly, D., M. L. Palomares, R. Froese, P. Saa, M. Vakily, D. Preikshot & S. Wallace, 2001. Fishing down Canadian aquatic food webs. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 58: 51–62. CrossRef
- Rincón, P. A., A. M. Correas, F. Morcillo, P. Risuen & J. Lobon-Cervia, 2002. Interaction between the introduced eastern mosquitofish and two autochthonous Spanish toothcarps. Journal of Fish Biology 61: 1560–1585. CrossRef
- Ringuet, S., F. Muto & C. Raymakers, 2002. Eel: their harvest and trade in Europe and Asia. Traffic Bulletin 19: 1–27.
- Robin, J. P., 1990. By-catch of juvenile flounder, Platichthys flesus L. 1758, in the glass-eel fishery of the Loire Estuary, France. Aquatic Living Resources 3: 75–83. CrossRef
- Sangster, G. I., K. Lehman & M. Breen, 1996. Commercial fishing experiments to assess the survival of haddock and whiting after escape from four sizes of diamond mesh cod-ends. Fisheries Research 25: 323–345. CrossRef
- SigmaStat, 2004. User’s Manual SigmaStat, Statistical Software, Version 3.10 for Windows, Systat Software, Inc.
- Sokal, R. R. & F. J. Rohlf, 1995. Biometry, 3rd edn. W. H. Freeman and Co, New York.
- Wirth, T. & L. Bernatchez, 2003. Decline of North Atlantic eels: a fatal synergy? Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 270: 681–688. CrossRef
- Impact of glass eel fishery on by-catch fish species: a quantitative assessment
Volume 602, Issue 1 , pp 87-98
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Glass eel fishery
- Discard mortality
- Ebro River delta
- Anguilla anguilla
- Grey mullet fry
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Unitat de Cultius Experimentals (UCE), Centre d’Aqüicultura, Institut de Recerca i Tecnologia Agroalimentaries (IRTA), Aptat. Correus 200, 43540, Sant Carles de la Rapita, Tarragona, Spain
- 2. Institut de Recerca i Tecnologia Agroalimentaries (IRTA), Aptat. Correus 200, 43540, Sant Carles de la Rapita, Tarragona, Spain