Technologies of Education: Classrooms and Chat Rooms, Scalpels, and Screens
- Robert Rosenberger
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Norm Friesen’s The Place of the Classroom and the Space of the Screen is an excellent example of the practical value of phenomenology. Through careful analysis of the experience of online and real-world education, Friesen draws out the sometimes subtle and sometimes gaping differences between these two educational contexts. In what follows, I identify some of the central arguments he develops, revisit a debate that he and I have maintained over the topic of computer-simulated frog dissection, and consider the relevance of Friesen’s insights for emerging issues in education.
It is often assumed that traditional educational practices can be replicated in the ‘virtual’ context of the computer. This assumption can be challenged by critically contrasting practices that take place in real-world classrooms, on the one hand, with those taking place through the medium of the computer, on the other. Friesen sets out to show that the virtual context transforms education in important ways, providin ...
- Friesen, N. (2011a). Dissection and simulation: Brilliance and transparency, or encumbrance and disruption? Techné: Research in Philosophy and Technology, 15(3), 185–200.
- Friesen, N. (2011b). Less is more: A response to Ihde, Rosenberger, Borgmann, Barney, and Sørensen. Techné: Research in Philosophy and Technology, 15(3), 229–234.
- Pappano, L. (2012). The year of the MOOC. The New York Times. 2 Nov 2012. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/04/education/edlife/massive-open-online-courses-are-multiplying-at-a-rapid-pace.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0.
- Rosenberger, R. (2011). A phenomenological defense of computer-simulated frog dissection. Techné: Research in Philosophy and Technology, 15(3), 215–228.
- Vascellero, J. E., Tibken, S., Trachtenberg, J. A. (2012). Apple jumps into textbooks. The Wall Street Journal. Friday, 20 Jan 2012. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204555904577169523446883172.html.
- Technologies of Education: Classrooms and Chat Rooms, Scalpels, and Screens
Volume 36, Issue 2 , pp 307-313
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Public Policy, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA