Bob Sandmeyer: Husserl’s Constitutive Phenomenology. Its Problem and Promise
- James Dodd
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It is always a risk to write a book about a book that an author never managed to write. Borges was a genius at this, with his tales of impossible encyclopedias, or literary traces of lost texts that only exist in references found in other texts that—turn out not to exist. Such tales consistently evoke that fascination, even wonder, that accompanies our speculation on anything that could have been written, but wasn’t; or perhaps that could not have been written, but was anyway. And in fact the question of the very possibility of the unwritten book here in question—Edmund Husserl’s “System of Phenomenological Philosophy”—haunts Bob Sandmeyer’s very thorough and helpful reconstruction of the motivations, plans, and ultimate failures of Husserl’s project to bring his life’s work to the pinnacle of a genuinely systematic presentation.
The specter of impossibility is conjured relatively early in Sandmeyer’s text: “One can ask, indeed, one must ask, is Husserl’s philosophy anything other than
- Bruzina, R. (2004). Edmund Husserl and Eugen Fink: Beginnings and ends in phenomenology, 1928–1938. New Haven: Yale.
- Husserl, E. (1970). Experience and judgment. (L. Landgrebe ed; K. Ameriks Trans.). Evanston: Northwestern University Press.
- Sandmeyer, B. (2009). Husserl’s constitutive phenomenology. London: Routledge.
- Sokolowski, R. (1964). The formation of Husserl’s concept of constitution. The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff.
- Steinbock, A. (1995). Home and beyond. Evanston: Northwestern University Press.
- Bob Sandmeyer: Husserl’s Constitutive Phenomenology. Its Problem and Promise
Volume 33, Issue 2-3 , pp 365-370
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- James Dodd (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, New School for Social Research, New York, NY, USA