Robert Sokolowski: Phenomenology of the Human Person
- Hans Pedersen
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Robert Sokolowski’s Phenomenology of the Human Person is a fine example of how to combine concepts and techniques from various philosophical traditions with some consideration of contemporary scientific studies to produce a work that is both solidly grounded in the history of philosophical thought and relevant to current scientific and philosophical endeavors seeking to understand just exactly what it means to be a human person. Sokolowski explicitly acknowledges his indebtedness to Edmund Husserl and Aristotle and successfully weaves together aspects of Aristotelian philosophy with Husserl’s phenomenological method to create the general framework for his phenomenological account of the human person (p. 1). He then uses considerations drawn from other philosophers, both historical and contemporary, and recent scientific work to further refine his thoughts.
Sokolowski begins by defining human persons as “agents of truth” (p. 1). It is worthwhile to consider this definition carefully, sin ...
- Bickerton, D. (1990). Language and species. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Bickerton, D. (1995). Language and human behavior. Seattle: University of Washington Press.
- Churchland, P. (1995). The engine of reason, the seat of the soul: A philosophical journey into the brain. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Gibson, J. J. (1966). The senses considered as perceptual systems. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
- Gibson, J. J. (1986). The ecological approach to visual perception. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Noë, A. (2004). Action in perception. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Robert Sokolowski: Phenomenology of the Human Person
Volume 33, Issue 2-3 , pp 347-351
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Hans Pedersen (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PA, USA