University of Nottingham Ningbo China and Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University: globalization of higher education in China
- Yi Feng
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This essay studies the University of Nottingham Ningbo China and Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University—the two Chinese campuses established respectively by the University of Nottingham and the University of Liverpool. They represent successful models of globalization of higher education in China; however their rationale, strategies, curricula, partnership, and orientation are very different. Through a comparative analysis, the paper reveals their unique development and offers a template for studies of globalization of higher education in China and elsewhere through branch campuses.
- Becker, R (2009) International branch campuses: Markets and strategies. Observatory on Borderless Higher Education, London
- Chen, J. (2007). Ningbo group and Chinese education in the 20th century. Hangzhou: Zhejiang University Press.
- Joint degrees, dual degrees, and international research collaborations: A report on the CGS graduate international collaboration projects. Council of Graduate Schools, Washington, DC
- Dyt, K (2007) Monash University Sunway: Building on a vision. Monash University, Clayton
- Fang, M. (2010). A memoire of the founding of Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University. In Way to XJTLU, Ed. Xian Jiaotong-Liverpool University. No. 3: 39-46.
- Fazackerly, A, Worthington, P eds. (2007) British Universities in China: The realities beyond the rhetoric. An Agora Discussion Paper. The Forum for Culture and Education, Agora
- McBurnie, G, Ziguras, C (2007) Transnational education: Current issues and future trends in offshore higher education. Routledge, London
- McBurnie, G. & Ziguras, C. (2009). Trends and future scenarios in programme and institution mobility across borders higher education to 2030. In: Globalisation (vol 2, pp. 89–108). Paris: Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development.
- Miller-Idriss, C, Hanauer, E (2011) Transnational higher education: Offshore campuses in the middle east. Comparative Education 47: pp. 181-207 CrossRef
- UK higher education in China: An overview of the quality assurance arrangements. The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education, Mansfield, UK
- Verbik, L, Merkley, C (2006) The international branch campus: Models and trends. Observatory on Borderless Higher Education, London
- Wilmoth, D (2004) RMIT Vietnam and Vietnam’s development: Risk and responsibility. Journal of Studies in International Education 8: pp. 186-206 CrossRef
- Xi, Y. (2010). On globalization of higher education and the model of Xi’an Jiaotong or Liverpool. In Way to XJTLU, Ed. Xian Jiaotong-Liverpool University (Vol. 3, pp. 39–46).
- The Wanli model: Lessons for contemporary universities. Studies of Higher Education 28: pp. 42-52
- Xu, Y. (2007). On Wanli model and educational innovation (J. Chen, Trans.). Shanghai: Wenhui Press.
- Yang, F. (2008). University Management. Ningbo: The University of Nottingham.
- University of Nottingham Ningbo China and Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University: globalization of higher education in China
Volume 65, Issue 4 , pp 471-485
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Transnational education
- Overseas campuses
- Higher education
- Industry Sectors
- Yi Feng (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, CA, 91711, USA