A Pilot Qualitative Study of “Conflicts of Interests and/or Conflicting Interests” Among Canadian Bioethicists. Part 1: Five Cases, Experiences and Lessons Learned
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this pilot qualitative study 13 clinical bioethicists from across Canada were interviewed about their experiences of conflicts of interest and/or conflicting interests in their professional roles. The interviews generated five composite cases. Participants reported being significantly impacted by these experiences both personally and professionally.
- Baylis, F (2000) Heros in bioethics. Hastings Center Report 30: pp. 34-39 CrossRef
- Baylis, F (2004) The Olivieri debacle: Where were the heroes of bioethics?. Journal of Medical Ethics 30: pp. 44-49 CrossRef
- Baylis, F Of courage, honor and integrity. In: Eckenwiler, L, Cohn, F eds. (2007) The ethics of bioethics: Mapping the moral landscape. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, pp. 193-204
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (1998). Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans (with 2000, 2002 and 2005 amendments). [On-line] http://pre.ethics.gc.ca/eng/policy-politique/tcps-eptc/.
- Freedman, B Bringing codes to Newcastle: ethics for clinical ethicists. In: Hoffmaster, B, Freedman, B eds. (1989) Clinical ethics: theory and practice. Humana Press, Clifton, N.J., pp. 125-139
- Freedman, B (1996) Where are the heroes of bioethics?. Journal of Clinical Ethics 7: pp. 297-299
- Kipnis, K., Baker, R., Pearlman R., Taylor, H. (2007). Report and recommendations on the ASBH Advisory Committee on Ethics Standards (ACES).
- Meyers, C. (2007). Clinical ethics consulting and conflict of interest: structurally intertwined. Hastings Center Report, 37(2), 32–40.
- Parker, L Bioethics as activism. In: Eckenwiler, L, Cohn, F eds. (2007) The ethics of bioethics: Mapping the moral landscape. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, pp. 144-157
- Rowell, M (2004) The Olivieri debacle: Where were the heroes of bioethics? A reply. Journal of Medical Ethics 30: pp. 50 CrossRef
- Webster, G, Baylis, F Moral residue. In: Rubin, S, Zoloth, L eds. (2000) Margin of error: The ethics of mistakes in the practice of medicine. University Publishing Group, Hagerstown, MD, pp. 217-230
- A Pilot Qualitative Study of “Conflicts of Interests and/or Conflicting Interests” Among Canadian Bioethicists. Part 1: Five Cases, Experiences and Lessons Learned
Volume 22, Issue 1 , pp 5-17
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Clinical ethics consultation
- Clinical ethics
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Hamilton Health Sciences, McMaster University Medical Center, 4X4—1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON, L8N 3Z5, Canada
- 2. William Osler Health Centre, Etobicoke General Hospital, 101 Humber College Blvd., Etobicoke, ON, M9V 1R8, Canada