Effect of gamma radiation on the properties of bismuth-containing glasses and glass ceramics
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Glasses and glass ceramic materials with the compositions (in moles) 2Bi2O3; 3SiO2 and 2Bi2O3; 3GeO2 were irradiated with γ-rays at doses 105 and 106 rad. The pre- and post-irradiation absorption spectra, microhardness and refractive indices of the glass and glass ceramic samples were studied. It was shown that gamma radiation gives rise to ionization of the bismuth ions and crystallization of the glasses. The bismuth-silicate glass ceramic was less affected less by γ-radiation than the bismuth-germanate ceramic.
- M. Ishii, K. Harada, Y. Hirose and X. Q. Feng, “Development of BSO (Bi4Si3O12) crystal for radiation detector,” Opt. Mater., 19, 201 – 212 (2002). CrossRef
- A. A. Kaminskii, N. V. Kravtsov, N. I. Naumkin, et al., “Polarization magneto-optical effects in a Nd3+ : Bi4Ge3O12 continuouswave laser (λ = 1.06425 and 1.3418 μm) with semiconductor pumping,” Kvant. Élektron., 30(4), 283 – 284 (2000). CrossRef
- Yu. K. Akimov, “Nuclear-radiation detectors based on inorganic scintillators,” Fiz. Élement. Chastits At. Yadra, 25(1), 229 – 284 (1994).
- S. F. Burachas, L. L. Nagornaya, G. M. Onishchenko, et al., “Advanced scintillation single crystals based on complex oxides with large atomic number,” Semiconductor Physics. Quantum Electronics & Optoelectronics, 3(2), 237 – 239 (2000).
- S. E. Derenzo, M. J. Weber, E. Bourret-Courchesne, and M. K. Klintenberg, “The quest for the ideal inorganic scintillator,” Nucl. Instr. Meth. Phys. Res. A, 505, 111 – 117 (2003). CrossRef
- P. Beneventi, D. Bersani, P. P. Lottici, et al., “Raman study of Bi2O3–GeO2–SiO2 glasses,” J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 192 – 193, 258 – 262 (1995). CrossRef
- B. Kusz and K. Trezebiatowski, “Bismuth germanate and bismuth silicate glasses in cryogenic detectors,” J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 319, 257 – 262 (2003). CrossRef
- B. Kelly, Irradiation Damage to Solids [Russian translation], Moscow (1970).
- Effect of gamma radiation on the properties of bismuth-containing glasses and glass ceramics
Glass and Ceramics
Volume 69, Issue 7-8 , pp 220-223
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- radiation resistance
- bismuth-containing glasses and glass ceramic
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. D. I. Mendeleev Russian Chemical Technology Institute, Moscow, Russia
- 2. A. M. Prokhorov Institute of General Physics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia
- 3. National Research Nuclear University “Moscow Engineering-Physics Institute,”, Moscow, Russia