Fast Cluster Polygonization and its Applications in Data-Rich Environments
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We develop a linear time method for transforming clusters of 2D-point data into area data while identifying the shape robustly. This method translates a data layer into a space filling layer where shaped clusters are identified as the resulting regions. The method is based on robustly identifying cluster boundaries in point data using the Delaunay Diagram. The method can then be applied to modelling point data, to displaying choropleth maps of point data without a reference map, to identifying association rules in the spatial dimension for geographical data mining, or to measuring a gap between clusters for cluster validity.
- M.S. Aldenderfer and R.K. Blashfield. Cluster Analysis. Sage: Beverly Hills, 1984.
- N. Amenta, S. Choi, and R. Kolluri. “The power crust,” in Proc. of the 6th ACM Symposium on Solid Modeling and Applications, pp. 249–260, Ann Harbor, Michigan, 2001.
- N. Amenta, S. Choi, and R.K. Kolluri. “The power crust, unions of balls, and the medial axis transform,” Computational Geometry: Theory and Applications, Vol. 19(2–3):127–153, 2001.
- N. Amenta, S. Choi, T.K. Dey, and N. Leekha. “A simple algorithms for homoeomorphic surface reconstruction,” International Journal of Computational Geometry and Applications, Vol. 12:125–141, 2002. CrossRef
- P.A. Burrough. Principles of Geographical Information Systems for Land Resources Assessment. Oxford University Press: New York, 1986.
- A.G. Cohn, B. Bennett, J. Gooday, and N.M. Gotts. “Qualitative spatial representation and reasoning with the region connection calculus,” GeoInformatica, Vol. 1(3):275–316, 1997. CrossRef
- L.F. da Costa. Shape Analysis and Classification: Theory and Practice. CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, 2001.
- B.D. Dent. Cartography: Thematic Map Design. 5th edition. WCB McGraw Hill: Boston, 1999.
- T.K. Dey, J. Giesen, and S. Goswami. “Delaunay triangulations approximate anchor hulls,” in Proc. of the 16th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 1028–1037, Vancouver, British Columbia, January 23–25, 2005.
- T.K. Dey. “Sample based geometric modeling,” in Janardan, Smid and Dutta (Eds.), DIMACS series in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science, Vol. 67, 2005.
- T.K. Dey. “Curve and surface reconstruction,” in Goodman and O’ Rourke (Eds.), Chapter in Handbook of Discrete and Computational Geometry, 2nd edition, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL 2004.
- T.K. Dey, J. Giesen, and S. Goswami. “Shape segmentation and matching with flow discretization,” in F. Dehne, J.-R. Sack, and M. Smid (Eds.), Proc. Workshop Algorithms Data Strucutres (WADS 03), LNCS 2748, pp. 25–36, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, 2003.
- H. Edelsbrunner, D. Kirkpatrick, and R. Seidel. “On the shape of a set of points in the plane,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 29(4):551–559, 1983. CrossRef
- C. Eldershaw and M. Hegland. “Cluster analysis using triangulation,” in B.J. Noye, M.D. Teubner, and A.W. Gill (Eds.), Computational Techniques and Applications: CTAC97, World Scientific: Singapore, pp. 201–208, 1997.
- M. Ester, H.P. Kriegel, J. Sander and X. Xu. “A Density-Based Algorithm for Discovering Clusters in Large Spatial Databases with Noise,” in E. Simoudis, J. Han, and U.M. Fayyad (Eds.), Proc. of the 2nd International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Portland, Oregon, pp. 226–231, 1996.
- V. Estivill-Castro and I. Lee. “Argument free clustering via boundary extraction for massive point-data sets,” Computers, Environments and Urban Systems, Vol. 26(4):315–334, 2002. CrossRef
- V. Estivill-Castro and I. Lee. “Data mining techniques for autonomous exploration of large volumes of geo-referenced crime data,” in David V. Pullar (Ed.), International Conference on Geocomputation, 24–26, September, 2001, Brisbane, Australia, GeoCompuatation CD-ROM, ISBN 1864995637, 2001.
- V. Estivill-Castro, I. Lee, and A.T. Murray. “Criteria on proximity graphs for boundary extraction and spatial clustering,” in D. Cheung, Q. Li, and G. Williams (Eds.), Proc. of the 5th Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Hong Kong, China, pp. 348–357, 2001.
- V. Estivill-Castro and A.T. Murray. “Discovering associations in spatial data—an efficient medoid based approach,” in X. Wu, K. Ramamohanarao, and K.B. Korb (Eds.), Proc. of the 2nd Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Melbourne, Australia, pp. 110–121, 1998.
- V. Estivill-Castro and J. Yang. “Cluster validity using support vector machines,” in Y. Kambayashi, M.K. Mohania, W. Wöß (Eds.), Proc. of the 3rd DaWak, LNCS 2737, pp. 244–256, Springer: Berlin Heidelberg New York, 2003.
- C.M. Gold. “Problems with handling spatial data - The Voronoi approach,” Canadian Institute of Surveying and Mapping Journal, Vol. 45(1):65–80, 1991.
- C. Gold and J. Snoeyink. “A one-step crust and skeleton extraction algorithm,” Algorithmica, Vol. 30(2):144–163, 2001. CrossRef
- S. Guha, R. Rastogi, and K. Shim. “CURE: An efficient clustering algorithm for large databases,” in L.M. Haas and A. Tiwary (Eds.), Proc. of the ACM SIGMOD’98 International Conference on Management of Data, Seattle, Washington, pp. 73–84, 1998.
- J. Han, M. Kamber, and K.H. Tung. “Spatial clustering methods in data mining,” in H.J. Miller and J. Han (Eds.), Geographic Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, pp. 188–217, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK, 2001.
- A.K. Jain and R.C. Dubes. Algorithms for Clustering Data. Prentice-Hall, 1988.
- A.K. Jain, M.N. Murty, and P.J. Flynn. “Data clustering: A review,” ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 31(3):264–323, 1999. CrossRef
- I. Kang, T. Kim, and K. Li. “A spatial data mining method by Delaunay Triangulation,” in Proc. of the 5th International Workshop on Advances in Geographic Information Systems, Las Vegas, Nevada, pp. 35–39, 1997.
- G. Karypis, E. Han, and V. Kumar. “CHAMELEON: A hierarchical clustering algorithm using dynamic modeling,” IEEE Computer: Special Issue on Data Analysis and Mining, Vol. 32(8):68–75, 1999.
- L. Kaufman and P.J. Rousseuw. Finding Groups in Data: An Introduction to Cluster Analysis. John Wiley: New York, 1990.
- E.M. Knorr, R.T. Ng, and D.L. Shilvock. “Finding boundary shape matching relationships in spatial data,” in M. Scholl and A. Voisard (Eds.), Proc. of the 5th International Symposium on Spatial Databases, Berlin, Germany, pp. 29–46, 1997.
- E. Kolatch. “Clustering algorithms for spatial databases: a survey,” in http://www.cs.umd.edu/kolatch/papers/SpatialClustering.pdf, 2000.
- I.L. McHarg. Design with Nature. Natural History Press: New York, 1969.
- K. Mehlhorn and S. Näher. LEDA A Platform for Combinatorial and Geometric Computing. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK, 1999.
- H.J. Miller and J. Han. Geographic Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery: An Overview. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK, 2001.
- R.T. Ng and J. Han. “Efficient and effective clustering method for spatial data mining,” in J. B. Bocca, M. Jarke, and C. Zaniolo (Eds.), Proc. of the 20th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, Santiago de Chile, Chile, pp. 144–155, 1994.
- A. Okabe, B.N. Boots, K. Sugihara, and S.N. Chiu. Spatial Tessellations: Concepts and Applications of Voronoi Diagrams. 2nd edition, John Wiley: West Sussex, 2000.
- S. Openshaw. “A Mark 1 geographical analysis machine for the automated analysis of point data sets,” International Journal of Geographical Information Science, Vol. 1(4):335–358, 1987.
- S. Openshaw. “Two exploratory space–time-attribute pattern analysers relevant to GIS,” in A.S. Fotheringham and P.A. Rogerson (Eds.), Spatial Analysis and GIS, pp. 83–104, Taylor & Francis: London, 1994.
- S. Openshaw. “Geographical data mining: Key design issues,” in Proc. of the 4th International Conference on Geocomputation, 1999.
- W.L. Roque and D. Doering. “Constructing approximate Voronoi Diagrams from digital images of generalized polygons and circular objects,” in The 11th International Conference in Central Europe on Computer Graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision Formely Winter School of Computer Graphics WSCG03 February 3-7 Plzen, Czech Republic. UNION agency-Science Press, 2003.
- W.R. Tobler. “A computer movie simulating urban growth in the Detroit region,” Economic Geography, Vol. 46(2):234–240, 1970. CrossRef
- M. Vazirgiannis, M. Halkidi, and Y. Batistakis. “On clustering validation techniques,” Journal of Intelligent Information Systems, Vol. 17(2–3):107–145, 2001.
- W. Wang, J. Yang, and R.R. Muntz. “STING+: An approach to active spatial data mining,” in Proc. of the 15th International Conference on Data Engineering, pp. 116–125, IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, CA 1999.
- B. Zhang, M. Hsu, and U. Dayal. “K-harmonic means—A spatial clustering algorithm with boosting,” in J.F. Roddick and K. Hornsby (Eds.), Proc. of the International Workshop on Temporal, Spatial and Spatio-Temporal Data Mining, Lyon, France, pp. 31–45, 2000.
- T. Zhang, R. Ramakrishnan, and M. Livny. “BIRCH: An efficient data clustering method for very large databases,” in H.V. Jagadish and I.S. Mumick (Eds.), Proc. of the ACM SIGMOD’96 International Conference on Management of Data, Montreal, Canada, pp. 103–114, 1996.
- X. Zhou, D. Truffe, and J. Han. “Efficient polygon amalgamation methods for spatial OLAP and spatial data mining,” in Advances in Spatial Databases, 6th International Symposium, SSD LNCS 1651, pp.167–187, Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, 1999.
- Fast Cluster Polygonization and its Applications in Data-Rich Environments
Volume 10, Issue 4 , pp 399-422
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Cluster polygonization
- Patterns and clusters
- Delaunay diagram
- Geographical data mining
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Information Technology, James Cook University, Douglas Campus, Townsville, QLD, 4811, Australia
- 2. School of Information and Communication Technology, Nathan and Logan Campuses, Griffith University, Brisbane, QLD, 4111, Australia