Utilizing Voronoi Cells of Location Data Streams for Accurate Computation of Aggregate Functions in Sensor Networks
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Sensor networks are unattended deeply distributed systems whose database schema can be conceptualized using the relational model. Aggregation queries on the data sampled at each sensor node are the main means to extract the abstract characteristics of the surrounding environment. However, the non-uniform distribution of the sensor nodes in the environment leads to inaccurate results generated by the aggregation queries. In this paper, we introduce “spatial aggregations” that take into consideration the spatial location of each measurement generated by the sensor nodes. We propose the use of spatial interpolation methods derived from the fields of spatial statistics and computational geometry to answer spatial aggregations. In particular, we study Spatial Moving Average (SMA), Voronoi Diagram and Triangulated Irregular Network (TIN). Investigating these methods for answering spatial average queries, we show that the average value on the data samples weighted by the area of the Voronoi cell of the corresponding sensor node, provides the best precision. Consequently, we introduce an algorithms to compute and maintain the accurate Voronoi cell at each sensor node while the location of the others arrive on data stream. We also propose AVC-SW, a novel algorithm to approximate this Voronoi cell over a sliding window that supports dynamism in the sensor network. To demonstrate the performance of in-network implementation of our aggregation operators, we have developed prototypes of two different approaches to distributed spatial aggregate processing.
- S. Arya and A. Vigneron. Approximating a Voronoi Cell. Technical Report, 2003, HKUST-TCSC-2003-10.
- P. Bonnet, J.E. Gehrke, and P. Seshadri. “Towards sensor database systems,” in Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Mobile Data Management, pp. 3–14, 2001.
- S. Fortune. “A sweepline algorithm for Voronoi diagrams,” in Proceedings of the Second Annual Symposium on Computational Geometry, pp. 313–322, ACM Press, 1986.
- R.H. Güting. “An introduction to spatial database systems,” The VLDB Journal, Vol. 3(4):357–399, 1994.
- C. Intanagonwiwat, R. Govindan, and D. Estrin. “Directed diffusion: A scalable and robust communication paradigm for sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the Sixth Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCOM ’00), 2000.
- N. Lam. “Spatial interpolation methods: A review,” The American Cartographer, Vol. 10(2):29–149, 1983.
- S. Madden, M. Franklin, J. Hellerstein, and W. Hong. “TAG: A tiny aggregation service for ad-hoc sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 5th Annual Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), 2002.
- S. Muthukrishnan. “Data streams: Algorithms and applications,” Technical Report, Computer Science Department, Rutgers University, 2003.
- A. Okabe, B. Boots, K. Sugihara, and S.N. Chiu. Spatial Tessellations, Concepts and Applications of Voronoi Diagrams. 2nd edition, John Wiley and Sons Ltd., 2000.
- M. Oliver and R. Webster. “Kriging: A method of interpolation for geographical information systems,” International Journal Geographic Information Systems, Vol. 4(3):313–332, 1990.
- M. Sharifzadeh and C. Shahabi. “Approximate Voronoi cell computation on geometric data streams,” Technical report, Computer Science Department, University of Southern California, 2004. No. 04-835.
- M. Sharifzadeh and C. Shahabi. “Supporting Spatial Aggregation in Sensor Network Databases,” in Proceedings of the 12th ACM International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems, pp. 166–175, 2004.
- I. Stanoi, M. Riedewald, D. Agrawal, and A.E. Abbadi. “Discovery of influence sets in frequently updated databases,” in Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, pp. 99–108, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc., 2001.
- W. Tobler. “Cellular geography,” in Olsson and Gale, (Eds), Philosophy in Geography, 379–386, D. Reidel Publishing Company, 1979.
- J. Zhang, M. Zhu, D. Papadias, Y. Tao, and D.L. Lee. “Location-based spatial queries,” in Proceedings of the 2003 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of data, pp. 443–454, ACM Press, 2003.
- J. Zhao, R. Govindan, and D. Estrin. “Computing aggregates for monitoring wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the First IEEE International Workshop on Sensor Net Protocols and Applications (SNPA’03), 2003.
- Utilizing Voronoi Cells of Location Data Streams for Accurate Computation of Aggregate Functions in Sensor Networks
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 9-36
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- sensor networks
- spatial interpolation
- Voronoi cell
- spatial data stream
- Industry Sectors