A New Computer Program for Pile Capacity Prediction using CPT Data
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An interactive computer program “GLAMCPT” is developed for application in soil profiling and prediction of pile load capacity using cone penetration test (CPT) and laboratory soil test results. GLAMCPT calculates pile capacity according to 10 selected methods from European design codes, refereed international publications and recommendations of professional institutions. To demonstrate the capabilities of the program, a database of comprehensive ground investigation and full-scale pile tests in sand, at a Belgian site, is analysed using GLAMCPT. The database comprises 11 static tests and 12 dynamic tests on piles of different construction techniques, including driven pre-cast concrete piles and screwed cast in-situ piles, installed using 5 different procedures. Prior to pile installation, CPTs were carried out at each proposed pile location. Comparison of GLAMCPT predictions with the observed pile capacities reveals that the most accurate of the existing methods yields an average, μ, of predicted to observed pile head capacity [P uh(p)/P uh(m)] equal to 0.94. The most consistent method produces a coeffcient of variation (COV) of [P uh(p)/P uh(m)] equal to 0.1 and ranking index (RI) of 0.08. Parametric studies have been carried out using GLAMCPT to formulate an improved predictive method, which yielded: μ = 0.99, COV = 0.07 and RI = 0.04.
- AASHTO: American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (1990) Standard specification for highway bridges, 14th Edition, pp. 420.
- Almeida, M. S. S., Danziger, F. A. B., Lunne, T. (1996) The use of piezocone test to predict the axial capacity of driven and jacked piles. Canadian Getoechnical Journal 33: pp. 23-41
- Carrubba, P. (1997) Skin friction of large diameter piles socketed into rock. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 34: pp. 230-240 CrossRef
- Chin, F. K. (1972) The inverse slope as a prediction of ultimate bearing capacity of piles. Proceedings 3rd South East Asian Conference on Soil Engineering. Hong Kong pp. 83–91.
- Darrag, A. A. (1987) Capacity of driven piles in cohesionless soils including residual stresses. PhD Thesis, Purdue University, West Lafayatte, Indiana, USA.
- Cock, F. (1998) Design of axially loaded bored piles-European codes, practice and experience. Balkema, Ghent, Rotterdam
- Ruiter, J., Beringen, F. L. (1979) Pile foundations for large North Sean structures. Marine Technology Directorate Publication 3: pp. 267-314
- Eslami, A., Fellenius, B. H. (1997) Pile capacity by direct CPT and CPTu methods applied to 102 case histories. Canadian Getechnical Journal 34: pp. 886-904 CrossRef
- Eurocode-7: (1997) Geotechnical Design, Part 1-General rules (together with UK National Application Document). British Standards Institution, Milton Keynes, England.
- ERTC3 (European Regional Technical Committee on Piles) (1997) International seminar on the present-day design methods for axially loaded piles. Brussels, Belgium, April 17–18.
- ERTC3 (European Regional Technical Committee on Piles) (1999) Survey report on the present-day design methods for axially loaded piles, European practice, In De Cock, F., Legrand, C. and Lehane, B. (eds) Published at the occasion of the XIIth ECSMGE, Amsterdam, June.
- Everts, H. J. and Luger, H. I. (1997) Dutch national codes for pile design. Design of axially loaded piles European practice; In De Cock and Legrand (eds.), Balkema, Rotterdam, ISBN 90 5410 873 8; pp. 243–265.
- Fascicule 62-V: (1993) Regles Techniques de Conception et de Calcul des Foundations des Ouvrages de Genie Civil (Technical rules for the design of foundations of civil engineering structures), Ministere de l’Equipement du Logement et des Transports, Paris.
- Fleming, W. G. K. (1992) A new method for single pile settlement prediction and analysis. Geotechnique 42: pp. 411-423 CrossRef
- Goble, G. G. and Rausche, F. (1979), Pile drivability predictions by CAPWAP, Proceeding of international conference on numerical methods in offshore piling, Institution of Civil Engineers, London, 1979, pp. 29–36.
- Hirayama, H. (1990) Load-settlement analysis for bored piles using hyperbolic transfer functions. Soils and Foundations 30: pp. 55-64
- Holeyman et al. (1997), Design of axially loaded piles-Belgian practice. In: De Cock and Legrand (eds.), Design of axially loaded piles-European practice, Balkema, Rotterdam ISBN 90 5410 873 8; 57–82.
- Huybrechts, N. (2001) Test Campaign at Sint–Katelijne–Waver and installation techniques of screw piles. In: Holeyman and Huybrechts (eds), Screw piles-Installation and design in stiff clay, Balkema, Rotterdam, 5th March, 2001.
- Jardine, R. J. and Chow, F. C. (1996) New Design methods for offshore piles. Marine Technology Directorate Publication, 96/103. ISBN 1 870553 314.
- Katzenbach, R. and Moormann, Chr. (1997) Design of axially loaded piles and pile groups-German practice, In: De Cock and Legrand (eds), Design of axially loaded piles-European ractice, Balkema, Rotterdam, ISBN 90 5410 873 8; 177–201.
- Kim, S., Jeong, S., Cho, S., Park, I. (1999) Shear load transfer characteristics of drilled shafts in weathered rocks. ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering 125: pp. 999-1010 CrossRef
- Likins, G. E. Field measurements and the Pile Driving Analyser. Proceedings, Second International Conference on application of stress wave theory. Stockholm, May 1984.
- Maertens, J. and Huybrechts, N. (2003) Belgian Screw Pile Technology-Design and recent developments. Proceedings of the 2nd Symposium on screw piles, 7th May 2003, Brussels, Belgium. AA Balkema (Swets and Zeitlinger), ISBN 90 5809 578 9.
- Mansur, C. I., Hunter, A. H. (1970) Pile tests-Arkansas river project. ASCE Journal of Soil Mechanics and Foundations Division 96: pp. 1545-1582
- Meyerhof, G. G. (1983) Scale effects of pile capacity. ASCE Journal of the Geotechnical Engineering Division 108: pp. 195-228
- Olson, R. E., Flaate, K. S. (1967) Pile driving formulas for friction piles in sand. ASCE Journal of Soil Mechanics and Foundations Division 93: pp. 279-296
- O’Neill, M. W. and Hassan, K. M. (1994) Drilled shafts-Effects of construction on performance and design criteria, Proceedings, International Conference on design and construction of deep foundations. Federal Highway Administration, Orlando, Florida, 1, 137–187.
- Robertson, P. K. (1990) Soil classification using the cone penetration test. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 27: pp. 151-158
- Simonsen, A. S. and Athansiu, C. (1997) Design of axially loaded piles-Norwegian practice, In: De Cock and Legrand (eds), In Design of axially loaded piles-European practice, Balkema, Rotterdam, ISBN 90 5410 873 8; pp. 269–289.
- A New Computer Program for Pile Capacity Prediction using CPT Data
Geotechnical & Geological Engineering
Volume 24, Issue 2 , pp 399-426
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- computer software
- cone penetration test
- pile capacity
- soil profiling
- Industry Sectors