Beyond Politization of Technology and Sustainability: A Plea for Visioning
- Philip J. Vergragt
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Most protagonists of sustainable development ignore modern insights in the nature of technology, which has led to an emphasis on technological solutions. The notable exception is transition management. However, both social construction of technology and transition management have been criticized as ignoring distributions of power in society, and for not offering guidance in the choice of the most sustainable technologies. The reviewer criticizes this approach: the issue is not to choose the right technologies, but to address the root causes of unsustainability in society. In addition to politization of transition management the reviewer argues that strong visions are necessary to lead the way. Technologies could help to develop those visions.
- Ehrenfeld, J. (2008) Sustainability by design. Yale University Press, New Haven
- Paredis, E. (2011) Sustainability transitions and the nature of technology. Foundations of Science 16: pp. 195-225 CrossRef
- Quist, J., Vergragt, P. (2006) Past and future of back-casting: The shift to stakeholder participation and a proposal for a methodological framework. Futures 38: pp. 1027-1045 CrossRef
- Quist, J. (2007). Backcasting for a sustainable future: The impact after 10 years, Ph.D. thesis, Delft University of Technology.
- Speth, J. G. (2008) The bridge at the edge of the World: Capitalism, the environment, and crossing from crisis to sustainability. Yale University Press, New Haven
- Vergragt, P. CCS in the Netherlands: Glass half empty or half full?. In: Meadowcroft, J., Langhelle, O. eds. (2009) Caching the carbon; the politics and policy of carbon capture and storage, chapter 8. Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham, pp. 186-210
- Vergragt, P. J., Grootveld, G. (1994) Sustainable technology development in the Netherlands; the first phase of the dutch STD program. Journal of Cleaner Production 2: pp. 133-139 CrossRef
- Vergragt, P. J., Markusson, N., & Karlsson, H. (2011). Carbon capture and storage, bio-energy with carbon capture and storage, and the escape from the fossil-fuel lock-in. Global Environmental Change, 21(2), 282–292.
- Weaver, P., Jansen, L., van Grootveld, G., van Spiegel, E., & Vergragt, P. (2000). Sustainable technology development. Greenleaf Publishing, ISBN 1-874719-09-8.
- Beyond Politization of Technology and Sustainability: A Plea for Visioning
Foundations of Science
Volume 18, Issue 2 , pp 361-365
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Social constructivism
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Tellus Institute, 11 Arlington Street, Boston, MA, 02116-3411, USA