Of Humans & Cyborgs, Caterpillars & Butterflies
- Yoni Van Den Eede
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In response to Peter–Paul Verbeek’s and Paul Levinson’s reviews of my article ‘In Between Us,’ I comment on four criticisms. Firstly, my approach of ‘mediation as such’ does not endorse the view of mediation as secondary to mediata (i.e., entities), but does not exclude it either. Secondly, my concepts of “transparency of use” and of “context” are to be seen as philosophical ‘tools’ and not as mutually exclusive states. Thirdly, I agree with Levinson that technologies do indeed remediate, and mostly not for the worse. However, fourthly, at the same time we should always be on guard for their nefarious effects.
- Harman, G. (2002). Tool-being: Heidegger and the metaphysics of objects. Chicago: Open Court.
- Hodge, N. (2010, January 21). Texts, tweets saving haitians from the rubble. Texts, Tweets Saving Haitians From the Rubble | Danger Room | Wired.com. Wired. Retrieved February 11, 2010, from http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/01/texts-tweets-saving-haitians-from-the-rubble.
- Levinson P. (1997) The soft edge: A natural history and future of the information revolution. Routledge, London
- Levinson, P. (2011). Skype and the Reality of Remdial Media. Foundations of Science. doi:10.1007/s10699-011-9254-7
- Van Den Eede Y. (2010) In between us: On the transparency and opacity of technological mediation. Foundations of Science 16(2–3): 139–159
- Verbeek P. (2008) Cultivating humanity: Toward a non-humanist ethics of technology. In: Berg Olsen J.K., Selinger E., Riis S. (eds.) New waves in philosophy of technology, new waves in philosophy. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, pp 241–266
- Verbeek, P.P. (2011). Expanding mediation theory. Foundations of Science. doi:10.1007/s10699-011-9253-8.
- Of Humans & Cyborgs, Caterpillars & Butterflies
Foundations of Science
Volume 17, Issue 4 , pp 401-405
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Philosophy of Technology
- Technological mediation
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, Free University of Brussels (VUB), Brussels, Belgium