Technology and the Myth of ‘Natural Man’
- Helena De Preester
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The main suggestions and objections raised by Don Ihde and Charles Lenay to my ‘Technology and the body: the (im)possibilities of re-embodiment’ are summarized and discussed. On the one hand, I agree that we should pay more attention to whole body experience and to further resisting Cartesian assumptions in the field of cognitive neuroscience and philosophy of cognition. On the other hand, I explain that my account in no way presupposes the myth of ‘natural man’ or of a natural, delineated body from before the fall into technology.
- Armel K. C., Ramachandran V. S. (2003) Projecting sensations to external objects: Evidence from skin conductance response. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London: Biological 270: 1499–1506 CrossRef
- De Preester H. (2007) The deep bodily origins of the subjective perspective: Models and their problems. Consciousness and Cognition 16(3): 604–618 CrossRef
- De Preester H. (2011) Technology and the body: The (im)possibilities of reembodiment. Foundations of Science 16(2–3): 119–137 CrossRef
- De Preester H., Tsakiris M. (2009) Body extension versus body-incorporation: Is there a need for a body-model?. Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences 8(3): 307–319 CrossRef
- De Preester, H. (Forthcoming). The bodily origins of technics: Heidegger, cognitive science and the prosthetic subject. In: J. Kiverstein, M. Wheeler (Ed.), Heidegger and cognitive science. Houndsmill: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Ihde, D. (2011). Postphenomenological re-embodiment. Foundations of Science. doi:10.1007/s10699-011-9244-9.
- Lenay, C. (2011). Separability and technical constitution. Foundations of Science. doi:10.1007/s10699-011-9245-8.
- Rochat P., Morgan R. (1995) Spatial determinants in the perception of self-produced movements by 3- to 5-month-old infants. Developmental Psychology 31: 626–636 CrossRef
- Stieger B. (1998) Technics and time 1—the fault of epimetheus. Stanford University Press, Stanford
- Tsakiris M., Prabhu G., Haggard P. (2006) Having a body versus moving your body: How agency structures body-ownership. Consciousness and Cognition 15: 423–432 CrossRef
- Technology and the Myth of ‘Natural Man’
Foundations of Science
Volume 17, Issue 4 , pp 385-390
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Helena De Preester (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Fine Arts, University College Ghent, Ghent, Belgium
- 2. Department of Philosophy and Moral Science, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium