An Empirical Examination of U.K. International Unit Trust Performance
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We examine the performance of U.K. unit trusts with international equity objectives between January 1985 and December 2000 using four international factor models. The international version of the Carhart (1997) model performs the best in explaining the cross-section of international stock returns. There is little evidence of superior performance by international trusts relative to the global models. We also find that the choice between a local and global version of the Carhart model has a significant impact on the relation between the investment sector of the trust and performance.
- Adler, M., and B. Dumas. “International Portfolio Choice and Corporation Finance: A Synthesis.” Journal of Finance 38 (1983), 925–984.
- Blake, D., and A. Timmermann. “Mutual Fund Performance: Evidence from the U.K.” European Finance Review 2 (1998), 57–77.
- Brown, S.J., W.N. Goetzmann, R.G. Ibbotson, and S.A. Ross. “Survivorship Bias in Performance Studies.” Review of Financial Studies 5 (1992), 553–580.
- Capaul, C. “Asset-Pricing Anomalies in Global Industry Indexes.” Financial Analysts Journal 55 (1999) July/August, 17–37.
- Carhart, M.M. “On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance.” Journal of Finance 52 (1997), 57–82.
- Carhart, M.M., J.N. Carpenter, A.W. Lynch, and D.K. Musto. “Mutual Fund Survivorship.” Review of Financial Studies 15 (2002), 1439–1463.
- Chalmers, J., R. Edelen, and G. Kadlec. “Fund Returns and Trading Expenses: Evidence on the Value of Active Fund Management.” Working Paper, University of Pennsylvania, 2001.
- Chang, E., C. Eun, and R. Kolodny. “International Diversification Through Closed-End Country Funds.” Journal of Banking and Finance 19 (1995), 1237–1263.
- Chen, Z., and P.J. Knez. “Portfolio Performance Measurement: Theory and Applications.” Review of Financial Studies 9 (1996), 511–555.
- Christopherson, J.A., W.E. Ferson, and D.A. Glassman. “Conditioning Manager Alphas on Economic Information: Another Look at the Persistence of Performance.” Review of Financial Studies 11 (1998), 111–142.
- Cumby, R.E., and J.D. Glen. “Evaluating the Performance of International Mutual Funds.” Journal of Finance 45 (1990), 497–521.
- Dahlquist, M., and T. Sallstrom. “An Evaluation of International Asset Pricing Models.” Working Paper, Duke University, 2002.
- Dumas, B., and B. Solnik. “The World Price of Foreign Exchange Risk.” Journal of Finance 50 (1995), 445–479.
- Elton, E.J., M.J. Gruber, S. Das, and M. Hlavka. “Efficiency with Costly Information: A Reinterpretation of the Evidence.” Review of Financial Studies 6 (1993), 1–22.
- Eun, C., R. Kolodny, and B.G. Resnick. “US Based International Mutual Funds: A Performance Evaluation.” Journal of Portfolio Management 17 (1991), 88–94. CrossRef
- Fama, E.F., and K.R. French. “Common Risk Factors in the Returns on Stocks and Bonds.” Journal of Financial Economics 33 (1993), 3–56.
- Ferson, W.E., and C.R. Harvey. “The Risk and Predictability of International Equity Returns.” Review of Financial Studies 6 (1993), 527–566.
- Ferson, W.E., and C.R. Harvey. “Economic, Financial and Fundamental Global Risk In and Out of EMU.” Swedish Economic Policy Review 6 (1999), 123–184.
- Ferson, W.E., and R.W. Schadt. “Measuring Fund Strategy and Performance in Changing Economic Conditions.” Journal of Finance 51 (1996), 425–461.
- Fletcher, J., and D.F. Forbes. “U.K. Unit Trust Performance: Does it Matter which Benchmark or Measure is Used?” Journal of Financial Services Research 21 (2002), 195–218.
- Gallo, J.G., and P.E. Swanson. “Comparative Measures of Performance for US Based International Equity Funds.” Journal of Banking and Finance 20 (1996), 1635–1650.
- Griffin, J. “Are the Fama and French Factors Global or Country Specific.” Review of Financial Studies 15 (2002), 783–803.
- Grinblatt, M., and S. Titman. “Portfolio Performance Evaluation: Old Issues and New Insights.” Review of Financial Studies 2 (1989), 393–422.
- Harvey, C.R., and A. Siddique. “Time-Varying Conditional Skewness and the Market Risk Premium.” Research in Banking and Finance 1 (2000), 27–60.
- Hentschel, L., and J.B. Long. “Numeraire Portfolio Measures of the Size and Source of Gains from International Diversification.” Working Paper, University of Rochester, 2004.
- Jensen, M.C. “The Performance of Mutual Funds in the Period 1945–1964.” Journal of Finance 23 (1968), 389–416.
- Karolyi, G.A., and R.M. Stultz. “Are Financial Assets Priced Locally or Globally?” Working Paper, National Bureau of Economic Research, 2002.
- Kosowski, R., A. Timmermann, H. White, and R. Wermers. “Can Mutual Fund “Stars” Really Pick Stocks? New Evidence from a Bootstrap Analysis.” Working Paper, University of Maryland, 2003.
- Liew, J., and M. Vassalou. “Can Book-to-Market, Size and Momentum be Risk Factors that Predict Economic Growth.” Journal of Financial Economics 57 (2000), 221–245.
- Malkiel, B.G. “Returns from Investing in Equity Mutual Funds 1971 to 1991.” Journal of Finance 50 (1995), 549–572.
- Otten, R., and D. Bams. “European Mutual Fund Performance.” European Financial Management 8 (2002), 75–101.
- Patro, D.K. “Performance of Closed-End International Mutual Funds.” Journal of Banking and Finance 25 (2001), 1741–1767.
- Quigley, G., and R.A. Sinquefield. “Performance of UK Equity Unit Trusts.” Journal of Asset Management 1 (2000), 72–92.
- Solnik, B. “The Performance of International Asset Allocation Strategies using Conditioning Information.” Journal of Empirical Finance 1 (1993), 33–56.
- Stultz, R.M. “International Portfolio Choice and Asset Pricing: An Integrative Survey,” In: R. Jarrow et al., eds., Handbooks in Operations Research and Management Science (Vol 9), North-Holland: Elsevier Science, 1995.
- Tkac, P. “The Performance of Open-End International Mutual Funds.” Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta Economic Review (2001), 1–17.
- Wermers, R. “Mutual Fund Performance: An Empirical Decomposition into Stock-Picking Talent, Style, Transactions Costs, and Expenses.” Journal of Finance 55 (2000), 1655–1695.
- White, H. “A Heteroskedasticity Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test of Heteroskedasticity.” Econometrica 48 (1980), 817–838.
- Zhang, X. “Specification Tests of Asset Pricing Models in International Market.” Journal of International Money and Finance (2003), forthcoming.
- An Empirical Examination of U.K. International Unit Trust Performance
Journal of Financial Services Research
Volume 27, Issue 2 , pp 183-206
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Fund performance
- international asset pricing
- Industry Sectors