DNA and morphological markers for a Russian wheat aphid resistance gene
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Russian wheat aphid (RWA), Diuraphis noxia (Mordvilko), is a significant insect pest of wheat worldwide. Morphological and molecular markers associated with RWA resistance could be used to increase the accuracy and efficiency of selection of resistant germplasm and facilitate transfer to desirable wheat genotypes. The objective of this work was to identify microsatellite (SSR) markers linked to the RWA resistance gene (Dn4) and glume-colour gene (Rg2) using a population of F2-derived F3 families originating from a cross between a susceptible line (synthetic hexaploid-11) and a resistance cultivar (Halt). Two microsatellite markers Xgwm106 and Xgwm337 flanked Dn4 on the short arm of chromosome 1D at 5.9 and 9.2 cM, respectively. Two other microsatellite markers, Xpsp2999 and Xpsp3000, at the distal part of this chromosome arm are linked to Dn4 and to Rg2. The accuracy and efficiency of marker-assisted selection were calculated for homozygous Dn4Dn4 genotypes in the F2 generation. The gene Rg2 for red glume colour can also be used for marker-assisted selection of Dn4 gene individually and in combination with microsatellite markers. When used together, the closest markers Xgwm106 and Xgwm337, provide 100% accuracy and 75% efficiency. One hundred percent accuracy is also achieved when the morphological marker red glume is used in combination with either Xgwm106 or Xgwm337. Using these flanking markers, it may be possible to fix resistance to RWA in the first segregating generation of an F2 population without infestation with aphids.
- Anderson, G.A., D. Papa, J.H. Peng, M. Tahir & N.L.V. Lapitan, 2003. Genetic mapping of Dn7, a rye gene conferring resistance to the Russian wheat aphid in wheat. Theor Appl Genet 107: 1297–1303.
- Baker, R.D. & L.M. English, 1988. The Russian wheat aphid. New Mexico Coop Ext Service Circ 528.
- Börner, A., S. Schumann, A. Furste, H. Cöster, B. Leithhold, A.S. Röder & W.E. Weber, 2002. Mapping of quantitative trait loci determining agronomic important characters in hexaploid wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Theor Appl Genet 105: 921–936. CrossRef
- Botha, A.M., A.A. Myburg & B.D. Wingfield, 1995. Identification of RAPD markers for Russian wheat aphid resistance in wheat. Plant Physiol 108: 139–139.
- Bryan, G.J., A.J. Collins, P. Stephenson, A. Orry, J.B. Smith & M.D. Gale, 1997. Isolation and characterisation of microsatellites from hexaploid bread wheat. Theor Appl Genet 94: 557–563. CrossRef
- Erker, B., 1998. Utility of molecular marker technology and inheritance of resistance of PI 262660 in breeding Russian wheat aphid-resistant wheats. M.S. Thesis, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, 53 pp.
- Haley, S.D., F.B. Peairs, C.B. Walker, J.B. Rudolph & T.L. Randolph, 2004. Occurrence of a new Russian wheat aphid biotype in Colorado. Crop Sci. 44: 1589–1592. CrossRef
- Haley, S.D., J.S. Quick, T.J. Martin, J.J. Johnson, F.B. Peairs, J.A. Stromberger, S.R. Clayshulte, B.L. Clifford & J.B. Rudolph, 2003. Registration of ‘Avalanche’ wheat. Crop Sci 43: 432. CrossRef
- Huang, L., S.A. Brooks, W. Li, J.P. Fellers, H.N. Trick & B.S. Gill, 2003. Map-based cloning of leaf rust resistance gene Lr21 from the large and polyploid genome of bread wheat. Genetics 164: 655–664.
- Jones, S.S., J. Dvorak & C.O. Qualset, 1990. Linkage relations of Gli-D1, Rg2, and Lr21 on the short arm of chromosome 1D in wheat. Genome 33: 937–940.
- Kosambi, D.D., 1944. The estimation of map distances from recombination values. Ann Eugen. 12: 172–175.
- Kovalev, O.V., T.J. Poprawski, A.V. Stekolshchikov, A.B. Vereshchagina & S.A. Grandrabur, 1991. Diuraphis aizenberg (Homoptera: Aphididae): Key to apterous viviparous females, and a review of Russian language literature on the natural history of Diuraphis noxia (Kurdjumov 1913). J Appl Entomol 112: 425–436.
- Lander, E.S., P. Green, J. Abrahamson, A. Barlow, M.J. Daly, S.E. Lincoln & L. Newburg, 1987. MAPMAKER: An interactive computer package for constructing primary genetic linkage maps of experimental and natural populations. Genomics 1: 174–181.
- Legg, A. & S. Amosson, 1993. Economic impact of the Russian wheat aphid in the western United States: 1991–1992. A report by the Russian wheat aphid task force to the Great Plains Agricultural Council (GPAC). GPAC Publication No. 147.
- Lincoln, S., M. Daly & E. Lander, 1992 Constructing genetic maps with MAPMAKER/EXP 3.0b. Whitehead Institute Technical Report, 3rd edn., Whitehead Institute, Cambridge, MA, USA.
- Liu, X.M., C.M. Smith, B.S. Gill & V. Tolmay, 2001. Microsatellite markers linked to six Russian wheat aphid resistance genes in wheat. Theor Appl Genet 102: 504–510.
- Liu, X.M., C.M. Smith & B.S. Gill, 2002. Identification of microsatellite markers linked to Russian wheat aphid resistance genes Dn4 and Dn6. Theor Appl Genet 104: 1042–1048.
- Ma, Z.Q., A. Saidi, J.S. Quick & N.L.V. Lapitan, 1998. Genetic mapping of Russian wheat aphid resistance genes Dn2 and Dn4 in wheat. Genome 41: 303–306.
- Ma, Z.Q. & M.E. Sorrells, 1995. Genetic analysis of fertility restoration in wheat using restriction fragment length polymorphisms. Crop Sci 35: 1137–1143. CrossRef
- Miller, C.A., A. Altinkut & N.L.V. Lapitan, 2001. A microsatellite marker for tagging Dn2, a wheat gene conferring resistance to the Russian wheat aphid. Crop Sci 41: 1584–1589. CrossRef
- Myburg, A.A., M. Cawood, B.D. Wingfield & A.M. Botha, 1998. Development of RAPD and SCAR markers linked to the Russian wheat aphid resistance gene in Dn2 in wheat. Theor Appl Genet 96: 1162–1169.
- Nkongolo, K.K., J.S. Quick F.B. Peairs & W.L. Meyer, 1991. Inheritance of resistance of PI 373129 wheat to the Russian wheat aphid. Crop Sci 31: 905–906. CrossRef
- Peng, J.H., T. Fahima, M.S. Röder, Y.C. Li, A. Grama & E. Nevo, 2000. Microsatellite high-density mapping of the stripe rust resistance gene YrH52 region on chromosome 1B and evaluation of its marker-assisted selection in the F2 generation in wild emmer wheat. New Phytol 146: 141–154.
- Plaschke, J., M.W. Ganal & M.S. Röder, 1995. Detection of genetic diversity in closely related bread wheat using microsatellite markers. Theor Appl Genet 91: 1001–1007.
- Quick, J.S., G.E. Ellis, R.M. Normann, J.A. Stromberger, J.F. Shanahan, F.B. Peairs, J.B. Rudolph & K. Lorenz, 1996 Registration of ‘Halt’ wheat. Crop Sci 36: 210.
- Quick, J.S., S.D. Haley, J.A. Stromberger, S. Clayshulte, B. Clifford, J.J. Johnson, F.B. Peairs, J.B. Rudolph & K. Lorenz, 2001. Registration of ‘Prowers 99’ Wheat. Crop Sci 41: 929–929. CrossRef
- Röder, M.S., V. Korzun, K. Wendehake, J. Plaschke, M.H. Tixier, P. Leroy & M.W. Ganal, 1998. A microsatellite map of wheat. Genetics 149: 2007–2023.
- Röder, M.S., J. Plaschke, S.U. Konig, A. Borner, M.E. Sorrells, S.D. Tanksley & M.W. Ganal, 1995. Abundance, variability and chromosomal location of microsatellites in wheat. Mol Gen Genet 246: 327–333.
- DNA and morphological markers for a Russian wheat aphid resistance gene
Volume 139, Issue 2 , pp 167-172
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- glume colour
- marker-assisted selection
- Russian wheat aphid
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Soil and Crop Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, 80523, U.S.A.
- 2. Agronomy and Plant Breeding Department, College of Agriculture, Isfahan University of Technology, Isfahan, 84156, Iran