Rocci Luppicini: Ethical impact of technological advancements and applications in society
- Alireza Isfandyari-Moghaddam
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The rate at which technology has penetrated most aspects of contemporary life—economic, ecological, political, educational, cultural, and social—would seem to support Heidegger’s (1977b) famous declaration, “Technology is relentlessly overtaking us”. Thus, as Kalantzis-Cope (2011, p. 8) notes, we may indeed need to think more critically about the properties of new technologies, the cultural content that flows through them, and the social forms that new technologies both reproduce and disrupt.
Highlighting the fact that in the modern era, each new innovation poses its own special ethical dilemma, the essays included in Ethical Impact of Technological Advancements and Applications in Society address many of these dilemmas and challenges. Comprising 21 chapters, this volume also addresses the question, “How can human society adapt to these new forms of expression, commerce, government, citizenship, and learning while holding onto its ethical and moral principles”?
Chapter 1, which takes a m ...
- Heidegger, M. (1977a). Only a god can save us now. Translated by D. Schendler. Graduate Faculty Philosophy Journal, 6(1), 5–27.
- Heidegger, M. (1977b). The question concerning technology. Translated by W. Lovitt, New York: Harper and Row.
- Kalantzis-Cope, P. (2011). Properties of technology. In P. Kalantzis-Cope & K. Gherab-Martin (Eds.), Emerging digital spaces in contemporary society: Properties of technology (pp. 3–9). London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Rocci Luppicini: Ethical impact of technological advancements and applications in society
Ethics and Information Technology
Volume 15, Issue 1 , pp 69-71
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Library and Information Studies, Hamedan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Hamedan, Iran