Zolin and Pizzi: Defining Necessity from Noncontingency
- Lloyd Humberstone
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The point of the present paper is to draw attention to some interesting similarities, as well as differences, between the approaches to the logic of noncontingency of Evgeni Zolin and of Claudio Pizzi. Though neither of them refers to the work of the other, each is concerned with the definability of a (normally behaving, though not in general truth-implying) notion of necessity in terms of noncontingency, standard boolean connectives and additional but non-modal expressive resources. The notion of definability involved is different in the two cases (‘external’ for Zolin, ‘internal’ for Pizzi), as are the additional resources: infinitary conjunction in the case of Zolin, and for Pizzi, first, propositional quantification, and then, later, most ingeniously, the use of a propositional constant. As well as surveying and comparing of the work of these authors, the discussion includes some some novelties, such as the confirmation of a conjecture of Zolin’s (Theorem 2.7).
- Anderson, A. R. (1967). The formal analysis of normative systems. In N. Rescher (Ed.), The logic of decision and action (pp. 147–213). Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press.
- Bellissima, F., Bucalo, A. (1995) A distinguishable model theorem for the minimal US-tense logic. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 36: pp. 585-594 CrossRef
- Chagrov, A.V., Zakharyaschev, M. (1997) Modal logic. Clarendon Press, Oxford
- Chellas, B.F. (1980) Modal logic: An introduction. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge CrossRef
- Cresswell, M.J. (1988) Necessity and contingency. Studia Logica 47: pp. 145-149 CrossRef
- Fine, K. (1970) Propositional quantifiers in modal logic. Theoria 36: pp. 336-346 CrossRef
- Hiż, H. (1958). A warning about translating axioms. American Mathematical Monthly, 65, 613–614.
- Humberstone, L. (1995) The logic of non-contingency. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 36: pp. 214-229 CrossRef
- Humberstone, L. (2002) The modal logic of agreement and noncontingency. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 43: pp. 95-127 CrossRef
- Humberstone, L. (2004) Two-dimensional adventures. Philosophical Studies 118: pp. 17-65 CrossRef
- Humberstone, L. (2005) Béziau’s translation paradox. Theoria 71: pp. 138-181 CrossRef
- Kuhn, S. T. (1995) Minimal non-contingency logic. Note Dame Journal of Formal Logic 36: pp. 230-234 CrossRef
- Lewis, C. I., & Langford, C. H. (1959). Symbolic logic. NY: Dover (first printing 1932).
- Meredith, C.A., Prior, A.N. (1965) Modal logic with functorial variables and a contingent constant. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 6: pp. 99-109 CrossRef
- Meyer, R. K. (1974) Entailment is not strict implication. Australasian Journal of Philosophy 52: pp. 211-231 CrossRef
- Pizzi C. (1999). Contingency logics and propositional quantification. Manuscrito (UNICAMP, Campinas University), 22, 283–303.
- Pizzi, C. A logic of contingency with a propositional constant. In: Ballo, E., Franchella, M. eds. (2006) Logic and philosophy in Italy: Some trends and perspectives. Polimetrica, Milan, pp. 141-153
- Pizzi, C. (2007) Necessity and relative contingency. Studia Logica 85: pp. 395-410 CrossRef
- Pizzi, C. Relative contingency and multimodal logics, to appear in a forthcoming special issue of Logica Universalis on Multimodal Logics.
- Prior, A.N. (1957) Time and modality. Oxford University Press, Oxford
- Saito, S. (1962) Circular definitions and analyticity. Learning Inquiry 5: pp. 158-162
- Saito, S. (1966) On the completeness of the Leibnizian modal system with a reduction. Proceedings of Japan Academy 42: pp. 198-200 CrossRef
- Saito, S. (1968) On the Leibnizian modal system. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 9: pp. 92-96 CrossRef
- Segerberg, K. (1971) An essay in classical modal logic. Filosofiska Studier, Uppsala
- Smiley, T. (1963) Relative necessity. Journal of Symbolic Logic 28: pp. 113-134 CrossRef
- Ṡwirydowicz, K. (1992). Regular modal logics inconsistent if \(\square \top\) is added: A contribution to the topography of the lattice of modal logics. Bulletin of the Section of Logic 21, 47–54.
- Thomason, R.H., Leblanc, H. (1967) All or none: A novel choice of primitives for elementary logic. Journal of Symbolic Logic 32: pp. 345-351 CrossRef
- Wójcicki, R. (1988) Theory of logical Calculi. Kluwer, Dordrecht CrossRef
- Zolin, E.E. (1999) Completeness and definability in the logic of noncontingency. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 40: pp. 533-547 CrossRef
- Zolin, E.E. (2000) Embeddings of propositional monomodal logics. Logic Journal of the IGPL 8: pp. 861-882 CrossRef
- Zolin, E. E. (2001). Infinitary expressibility of necessity in terms of contingency. In K. Striegnitz (Ed.), Proceedings of the sixth ESSLLI student session, pp. 325–334.
- Zolin, E. E. (2002). Sequential reflexive logics with noncontingency operator. Mathematical Notes, 72, 784–798 (translation from Matematicheskie Zametki, Russian Academy of Sciences).
- Zolin and Pizzi: Defining Necessity from Noncontingency
Volume 78, Issue 6 , pp 1275-1302
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, Monash University, Clayton, VIC, 3800, Australia