Can Opposing Dispositions be Co-instantiated?
- Sungho Choi
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Is it possible that one and the same object x has opposing dispositions at the same time? One’s first reaction might be that it is evidently impossible. On the assumption that x is incombustible, it seems to follow that it is not combustible. Surprisingly enough, however, it is claimed that there are a number of examples in support of the possibility of simultaneous co-instantiation of opposing dispositions. In this paper, I will bring under scrutiny some of the examples and come to the conclusion that none of them achieve the desired goal. This will give support to the initial intuition that opposing dispositions cannot be co-instantiated by one and the same object at the same time.
- Ashwell, L. (2010). Superficial dispositionalism. Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 88, 635–653. CrossRef
- Bennett, J. (2003). A philosophical guide to conditionals. Oxford: Oxford University Press. CrossRef
- Bird, A. (1998). Dispositions and antidotes. The Philosophical Quarterly, 48, 227–234. CrossRef
- Bird, A. (2007). Nature’s metaphysics. Oxford: Oxford University Press. CrossRef
- Bird, A. (manuscript). Can dispositions have intrinsic finks and antidotes?. Available online at http://eis.bris.ac.uk/~plajb/research/inprogress/Intrinsic_Antidotes.pdf.
- Cartwright, N. (1983). How the laws of physics lie. Oxford: Clarendon Press. CrossRef
- Choi, S. (2005). Do categorical ascriptions entail counterfactual conditionals? The Philosophical Quarterly, 55, 495–503. CrossRef
- Choi, S. (2008). Dispositional properties and counterfactual conditionals. Mind, 117, 795–841. CrossRef
- Choi, S. (2009). The conditional analysis of dispositions and the intrinsic dispositions thesis. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, 78, 563–590.
- Choi, S. (forthcoming_a). Intrinsic finks and dispositional/categorical distinction. Nous, doi:10.1111/j.1468-0068.2010.00789.x (published online).
- Choi, S. (forthcoming_b). What is a dispositional masker? Mind, doi:10.1093/mind/fzr083 (published online).
- Clarke, R. (2008). Intrinsic finks. The Philosophical Quarterly, 58, 512–518. CrossRef
- Clarke, R. (2009). Dispositions, abilities to act, and free will: The new dispositionalism. Mind, 118, 323–351. CrossRef
- Clarke, R. (2010). Opposing powers. Philosophical Studies, 149, 153–160. CrossRef
- Cohen, D., & Handfield, T. (2007). Finking Frankfurt. Philosophical Studies, 135, 363–374. CrossRef
- Everett, A. (2009). Intrinsic finks, masks, and mimics. Erkenntnis, 71, 191–203. CrossRef
- Fara, M. (2008). Marked abilities and compatibilism. Mind, 117, 843–865. CrossRef
- Handfield, T. (2008). Unfinkable dispositions. Synthese, 160, 297–308. CrossRef
- Handfield, T., & Bird, A. (2008). Dispositions, rules, and finks. Philosophical Studies, 140, 285–298. CrossRef
- Jackson, F. (1990). Classifying conditionals. Analysis, 50, 134–147.
- Jackson, F. (1991). Classifying conditionals II. Analysis, 51, 137–143.
- Johnston, M. (1992). How to speak of the colors. Philosophical Studies, 68, 221–263. CrossRef
- Lewis, D. (1986). ‘Events’ in his philosophical papers: Volume II. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Lewis, D. (1997). Finkish dispositions. The Philosophical Quarterly, 47, 58–143. CrossRef
- Lowe, J. (1991). Jackson on classifying conditionals. Analysis, 51, 126–130.
- Manley, D., & Wasserman, R. (2008). On linking dispositions and conditionals. Mind, 117, 59–84. CrossRef
- Martin, C. (1994). Dispositions and conditionals. The Philosophical Quarterly, 44, 1–8. CrossRef
- Massin, O. (2009). The metaphysics of forces. dialectica, 63, 555–589. CrossRef
- Rupert, R. D. (2008). Ceteris paribus laws, component forces, and the nature of special-science properties. Noûs, 42, 349–380. CrossRef
- Schrenk, M. (2007). Can capacities rescue us from Ceteris paribus laws? In B. Gnassounou & M. Kistler (Eds.), Dispositions in philosophy and science, Ashgate.
- Wilson, J. (2009). The causal argument against component forces. dialectica, 63, 525–554. CrossRef
- Can Opposing Dispositions be Co-instantiated?
Volume 78, Issue 1 , pp 161-182
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Sungho Choi (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Philosophy Department, Kyung Hee University, Heogi-Dong, Seoul, Dongdaemun-Gu, 130-701, Korea