Basic and Refined Nomic Truth Approximation by Evidence-Guided Belief Revision in AGM-Terms
- Theo A. F. Kuipers
- … show all 1 hide
Straightforward theory revision, taking into account as effectively as possible the established nomic possibilities and, on their basis induced empirical laws, is conducive for (unstratified) nomic truth approximation. The question this paper asks is: is it possible to reconstruct the relevant theory revision steps, on the basis of incoming evidence, in AGM-terms? A positive answer will be given in two rounds, first for the case in which the initial theory is compatible with the established empirical laws, then for the case in which it is incompatible with at least one such a law.
- Alchourrón, C., Gärdenfors, P., & Makinson, D. (1985). On the logic of theory revision: partial meet contraction and revision functions. Journal of Symbol Logic, 50(2), 510–530.
- Cevolani, G., & Calandra, F. (2009). Approaching the truth via belief change in propositional languages. In M. Suárez, M. Dorato, & M. Rèdei (Eds.), EPSA epistemology and methodology of science. Launch of the European philosophy of science association, Ch. 5. Berlin: Springer.
- Cevolani, G., Crupi, V., & Festa, R. (this volume). Verisimilitude and belief change for conjunctive theories.
- Grove, A. (1988). Two modelings for theory change. Journal of Philosophical Logic, 17, 157–170. CrossRef
- Hansson, S. O. (1999). A textbook of belief dynamics. Dordrecht: Kluwer AP.
- Kuipers, T. (2000). From instrumentalism to constructive realism. On some relations between confirmation, empirical progress, and truth approximation, Synthese Library 287. Dordrecht: Kluwer AP.
- Niiniluoto, I. (1999). Belief revision and truthlikeness. In: Spinning ideas, electronic essays dedicated to Peter Gärdenfors on his fiftieth birthday.
- Rabinowicz, W. (1995). Global belief revision based on similarities between possible worlds. In Hansson and Rabinowicz (Eds.), Logic for a change. Essays dedicated to Sten Lindström on the occasion of his fiftieth birthday (pp. 80–105). Uppsala Prints and Preprints in Philosophy 1995–1999, Department of Philosophy, Uppsala University.
- Zwart, S. D. (2001). Refined verisimilitude. Synthese Library 307. Dordrecht: Kluwer AP.
- Basic and Refined Nomic Truth Approximation by Evidence-Guided Belief Revision in AGM-Terms
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 75, Issue 2 , pp 223-236
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Theoretical Philosophy, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands