Dream Skepticism and the Conditionality Problem
- Kristoffer Ahlstrom
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Recently, Ernest Sosa (2007) has proposed two novel solutions to the problem of dream skepticism. In the present paper, I argue that Sosa’s first solution falls prey to what I will refer to as the conditionality problem, i.e., the problem of only establishing a conditional—in this case, “if x, then I am awake,” x being a placeholder for a condition incompatible with dreaming—in a context where it also needs to be established that we can know that the antecedent holds, and as such can infer the consequent, i.e., “I am awake.” Sosa’s second solution, in terms of so-called reflective knowledge, is shown to land him in the dilemma of either facing yet another conditionality problem, or violating an internalist constraint that he explicitly grants the skeptic with respect to what kind of factors can be legitimately invoked in our account of how we may know the relevant antecedent. For these reasons, I conclude that Sosa has not solved the problem of dream skepticism.
- Descartes, R. (1984/1641). Meditations on first philosophy. In J .Cottingham, R. Stoothoff & D. Murdoch (Eds.), The philosophical writings of descartes (vol. 2). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Hobson, J. A. (1999). Dreaming as delirium: How the brain goes out of its mind. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.
- Ichikawa, J. (2008). Scepticism and the imagination model of dreaming. The Philosophical Quarterly, 58(232), 519–527. CrossRef
- Putnam, H. (1981). Reason, truth and history. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Sosa, E. (1997). Reflective knowledge in the best circles. The Journal of Philosophy, 94(8), 410–430. CrossRef
- Sosa, E. (2007). A virtue epistemology: Apt belief and reflective knowledge (Vol. 1). Oxford: Clarendon Press. CrossRef
- Stroud, B. (1989). Understanding human knowledge in general. In M. Clay & K. Lehrer (Eds.), Knowledge and skepticism (pp. 31–50). Boulder: Westview.
- Williams, B. (1978). Descartes: The project of pure inquiry. London: Penguin Books.
- Dream Skepticism and the Conditionality Problem
Volume 75, Issue 1 , pp 45-60
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, University of Copenhagen, Njalsgade 80, 2300, Copenhagen, Denmark